Willian

Jase

This Oscar/Willian stuff is such bollocks!

I can understand the argument that Oscar has more upside than Willian. I think he's a technically better player, I just don't think his game is fully suited to English football. I think he would thrive in a slightly slower, more tactical league.

Willian's strengths of pace, work rate, directness though perfectly suit English football, which is why I think he is definitely the better fit for Chelsea. That doesn't necessarily mean he's the better player.

Can't we all just fucking move on though...

5 hours ago, Stats said:

I know. Oscar should have been called up to the squad and his magic would have got Brazil through. How could Brazil leave a future Ballon D'or contender out the squad right? :rolleyes:

Oscar is atleast better than lucas lima ...Fucking joke he gets to play over oscar

10 hours ago, Gilvorak said:

Exposed at the Copa. Toothless player.

Totally. It's not as if he has 2 goals and 3 assists in 6 games in World Cup Qualification against these same teams.

He also played fairly well in the first two games of this tournament. Against Peru, he could have done a bit more if Dani Alves actually, you know, bothered passing to him; the only occasions when he received the ball from Alves were when Alves literally had no other choice.

5 hours ago, WNDS said:

Totally. It's not as if he has 2 goals and 3 assists in 6 games in World Cup Qualification against these same teams.

He also played fairly well in the first two games of this tournament. Against Peru, he could have done a bit more if Dani Alves actually, you know, bothered passing to him; the only occasions when he received the ball from Alves were when Alves literally had no other choice.

Implying he would have even scored if Dani Alves passed to him. He can't even assist or score against Haiti. It still baffles me when some say this guy carried us last season. Lol

Squad player should be the maximum next season but we all know he will be a starter..

9 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Wow, I just realized that Brazil has been knocked out in the group stage :blink:

I guess Neymar was practically carrying the team of average players 

Brazil left a total of 6 players out of the squad. It was far from their strongest lineup.

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hardly a reason to get KOed from a group that contained Peru, Haiti and Ecuador.

Completely agree. I was just saying that Neymar isn't the only one the team is missing.

52 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

But still Peru and Haiti should be easily beaten by Brazils second team. 

Haiti were beaten 7-1. They should have beaten Peru but they didn't need to and we're really eliminated by a Terrie handball no-call.

That doesn't take away from the fact that they disappointed in the Ecuador and Peru games.

1 minute ago, kmk108 said:

Completely agree. I was just saying that Neymar isn't the only one the team is missing.

Haiti were beaten 7-1. They should have beaten Peru but they didn't need to and we're really eliminated by a Terrie handball no-call.

That doesn't take away from the fact that they disappointed in the Ecuador and Peru games.

Says a lot about how far Brazil have fallen that they only won against  Haiti. The old Brazil would have smashed that group to pieces.

56 minutes ago, JaKstone said:

Implying he would have even scored if Dani Alves passed to him. He can't even assist or score against Haiti. It still baffles me when some say this guy carried us last season. Lol

Squad player should be the maximum next season but we all know he will be a starter..

It's not about SCORING, it's about being allowed to participate in any meaningful passages of play whatsoever. Willian's off-the-ball movement was uncharacteristically good during the match against Peru, but he was almost never picked-out by his teammates (Alves in particular).

And by 'some', do you actually mean the majority of the club's fans and playing staff (hence double player of the year)? What he did for us in the CL this season was the very definition of carrying a side.

I'm with you when it comes to suggesting that he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter going into next season, but then I don't think that ANY ONE of our players should have such a guarantee; each and every one of them should have to earn their places under the new manager, whether they were last season's player of the year or not.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Says a lot about how far Brazil have fallen that they only won against  Haiti. The old Brazil would have smashed that group to pieces.

I think they would have advanced out of the group had they had a few of the players who dropped out, but yeah, they have. I think a lot of people think it's time for Dunga to leave and bring someone else in.

Just now, kmk108 said:

I think they would have advanced out of the group had they had a few of the players who dropped out, but yeah, they have. I think a lot of people think it's time for Dunga to leave and bring someone else in.

It's not just the players that Brazil have left out. It's also the fact that there are hardly any good young players coming through. Compare them to say Germany or Spain and their lack of depth is shocking. In fact their talent factory (if we can call it that) resembles that of the Dutch.

Fresh targets for Willian in new mag

The latest edition of Chelsea, available now in print and digital format, features an in-depth interview with Willian who looks ahead to next season and working under incoming manager Antonio Conte.The club’s official magazine also hears from former player and current Under-21s assistant manager Andy Myers as well as musician Kirk Brandon, and there is a reflective feature on the summer of 1996 when Ruud Gullit took charge of the Blues.Though the 2015/16 campaign was a disappointing one overall, the performances of Willian during the course of the season undoubtedly caught the eye and it came as little surprise when the Brazilian picked up both the Player of the Year and Players’ Player of the Year prizes.He finished last season with 11 goals in all competitions, seven more than in each of his previous two campaigns at the club.

‘I put it in my head when I arrived at Chelsea that I always have to keep improving my game and I think I’m doing that,’ Willian tells Chelsea. ‘I just focus on playing better from one game to the next and improving season by season, so I hope that next season I will play even better than I have been so far.‘Sometimes it was difficult to play well last season, as our team performances in some games weren’t as good as we wanted them to be, but when you don’t play well you have to fight and do everything to win that game. I think I am always doing that and I have to continue doing it.’

Willian has recently been involved with Brazil at the Copa America and will now have a holiday before joining up with his club team-mates to prepare for next season, when he hopes we can rediscover the winning habit.‘The Chelsea fans deserve more and we know that,’ he says. ‘We need to come back for 2016/17 stronger to win titles for them.‘It’s not a case of using last season as motivation, we need to forget about it. We have the quality to improve next season and for sure we will come back strong and do everything we can to win titles for Chelsea and our fans.’

When Willian does report back for Chelsea duty after his break there will be a new man at the helm, with Conte to take charge once Italy’s Euro 2016 campaign comes to a conclusion, and the winger is looking forward to a fresh challenge.

‘I hope he does well with Italy at the Euros and can come to Chelsea happy,’ he says.‘Of course, he’s a great manager so I think he will come here and help us and I’m sure he will want to win titles here with us.‘We have to get back to playing with confidence in every game and the new manager will help us with that, so I can’t wait for next season.’ 

chelseafc.com

cfc.JPG

On 6/13/2016 at 0:34 AM, Stats said:

I know. Oscar should have been called up to the squad and his magic would have got Brazil through. How could Brazil leave a future Ballon D'or contender out the squad right? :rolleyes:

On 6/13/2016 at 5:02 AM, Special Juan said:

I mean people keep making 4 years of excuses up for Oscar so let's make something up for Willian.....Maybe he was tired after more or less carrying a team full absolute shite all season eh!!

Brazil have gone out in the group stages in 2 straight years without Oscar. Reached a WC Semi-final & won the the Confederations Cup with him. Oscar is far better for Brazil & it isn't close.

1 hour ago, Gilvorak said:

Brazil have gone out in the group stages in 2 straight years without Oscar. Reached a WC Semi-final & won the the Confederations Cup with him. Oscar is far better for Brazil & it isn't close.

That was back when Oscar was more consistently on-form (and under different management to boot); he hasn't been displaying the required level of consistency for almost two years now. He only missed the 2015 Copa due to injury, but he can have few complaints about having being cut from the latest Brazil squads; over this past season he was extremely poor in the WC qualifying games he played in, and his club form wasn't exactly outstanding either.

Additionally, that final statement of yours simply isn't borne-out by the facts; without Willian (2 goals/3 assists) and Douglas Costa (2 goals/4 assists), Brazil would be in a significantly worse position in their WC qualifying group than they currently are (6th, but only one point off a qualifying spot and four points off 1st). Willian scored the two goals that gave Brazil the win (3-1) against Venezuela, set-up the opening goals against both Peru (3-0 win) and Uruguay (2-2), set-up the last-minute equaliser against Paraguay (2-2), and was comfortably one of Brazil's best players in the other games (a 2-0 loss to Chile and a 1-1 draw with Argentina). Compare and contrast this with Oscar (2 very poor performances against Chile and Venezuela that saw him dropped from Brazil's starting 11) and Neymar (0 goals/1 assist, and only a single good half of football (against Uruguay) over all the games he has played in so far). I've watched the majority of the games that Brazil have played since Dunga was appointed manager, and to lay team-wide tactical and strategic failings at Willian's feet simply because he has happened to be in the right place at the wrong time is ridiculous.

Anyway, Dunga has now been fired, and it will be up to the new manager to decide how to re-formulate Brazil's squad. Just as at Chelsea, this might be a big opportunity for Oscar to put his career back on track, and could also result in Willian's role being reduced..... or maybe not. Whatever happens initially, it's up to the players to convince these new managers that they deserve regular starts. If they are unable to do this, too bad for them; past performance under different management counts for very little in these circumstances, particularly when you are talking about performances from two or three years past (e.g. Oscar in the 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup).

• 4 weeks later...