Willian

Jase

I am not sure whether the 2-1 vs Swansea was credited as an own goal but if so, all his 6 goals this season came from freekicks. That highlights the disparity of his finishing and free kicks ability. But i guess u cannot get too greedy. his set piece ability + his defensive work should justify his selection.

The 2nd goal was an own goal against Swansea ;)

Willian is on a different class right now, great season he´s having, immense work horse, wonderful player, he´s got my vote for Chelsea player of the year and if he keeps up this free kick form he will surpass Zola´s tally of 14 free kicks for Chelsea very soon, long may it continue. Good luck Willian, keep up the great work and i hope you stay with us many years and become a club legend, he definetely deserves a new and better contract, he has earned it :) Cheers

The spin and speed of the dip on the ball is just perfection.The fact that he is able to come up with such quality so consistently is just phenomenal.

Reminds me of a period of a few months in 2012 (or was it 13?) when every FK that Del Piero touched turned to gold.

Still not good enough for some people. It is not just the fact that he is scoring free kicks, he is generally our best player this season in open play by far. Yet, some feel we need to upgrade. It is the other star players in our team who need to upgrade and perform like Willian. He has been immense and thoroughly deserves his reported new contract.

I am pretty sure than statistic is flawed. He must have at least 2 assists, cos he got one yesterday and another one vs villa.

Plus against Swansea for the own goal and against Dynamo Kyiv for the Dragovic OG, too... those stats are horribly wrong.

I am pretty sure than statistic is flawed. He must have at least 2 assists, cos he got one yesterday and another one vs villa.

Plus against Swansea for the own goal and against Dynamo Kyiv for the Dragovic OG, too... those stats are horribly wrong.

It depends upon how you define an 'assist'. Willian only has one 'pure' assist this season (for Costa vs Aston Villa), but he's also forced two own-goals in our favour (vs Swansea and vs Dynamo Kiev) and provided two 'half-assists' (both for Cahill; vs West Ham and yesterday vs Maccabi Tel-Aviv).

It depends upon how you define an 'assist'. Willian only has one 'pure' assist this season (for Costa vs Aston Villa), but he's also forced two own-goals in our favour (vs Swansea and vs Dynamo Kiev) and provided two 'half-assists' (both for Cahill; vs West Ham and yesterday vs Maccabi Tel-Aviv).

Never heard of 'forced own goals' assists. Half-assist is a new one as well. Football is becoming more and more complex.

Would Dani Alves using his body to keep the Roma defender from clearing Messi's chip constitute as a quarter-assist?

I see, thx. But if one applies that Fifa 07 assist rule of yours (only assist when next touch is scoring touch) then who made the assist for cahill's goal yesterday? cahill himself or the keeper? I think it only gives Willian the credit he deserves when we apply a more expansive view on assists. So Willian has 5. Also I remember last season Özil assisted a goal from a freekick that went in on a rebound like the cahill one yesterday. was counted as an assist. so no chelsea bias here...

How is the chances created stat put together anyway? If we are talking about real chances, then on the whole the team has created ~5 of them this season so far.

If I remember correctly, Sky Sports use Opta stats for that and according to their glossary...

http://optasports.com/news-area/blog-optas-event-definitions.aspx

Chances Created

Assists plus Key passes.

Willian only has 1 assist actually - the one against Aston Villa. Didn't get the one yesterday because Cahill's initial shot was saved by the keeper before he slotted in the rebound. It only counts as an official assist if the final pass directly leads to the recipient scoring a goal, which wasn't the case against Maccabi Tel-Aviv since the keeper was the last person to touch the ball before Cahill scored.

Wow. We must be pretty desperate to count those as assists...