Willian

Jase

I never did understand the criticism that Willy was getting. Even last season he wAs an extremely important player. His work rate is second to none and he is bery tidy with keeping posession. Yes he lacks that killier vision but now he is adding goals to his game. Class.

I never did understand the criticism that Willy was getting. Even last season he wAs an extremely important player. His work rate is second to none and he is bery tidy with keeping posession. Yes he lacks that killier vision but now he is adding goals to his game. Class.

Actually I wouldn't put his lack of output (across his Chelsea career) down to an absence of vision. His problem has been that even when he does see the right option, he just doesn't execute it often enough. I'm still in the we need an upgrade camp but I'm obviously pleased that his dead ball productivity is high at the moment.

Shut up, Stats. Being a fan of a player when he's playing decent football has nothing to with his current form. He's playing good football at the moment and he's decisive. If he goes back to decency, the criticism will return.

Enjoying his purple patch. Would be great if it wasn't just patch. I need to find a Willian look-a-like baby to adopt.

Exactly so. Take away what he is accomplishing from dead-ball situations and how different does this version of Willian look? Not very I'd say. If he's able to continue this level of output from free-kicks that would be something but let's see it happen before we get too bullish about what he's doing.

Gilvorak should be the first to come here and admit he made a mistake with all the criticism he used to give to Willian. Got egg on his face now.

No he does not. Willian is producing from set pieces. Currently.

History tells us this won't last, even Ronaldo has been in a dead-ball slump. When the purple patch fades, we'll be back to assessing Willian's contribution in open play. Maybe it will change and we can really celebrate but my guess is that it will be the same as it ever was; looking great but achieving little.

No he does not. Willian is producing from set pieces. Currently.

History tells us this won't last, even Ronaldo has been in a dead-ball slump. When the purple patch fades, we'll be back to assessing Willian's contribution in open play. Maybe it will change and we can really celebrate but my guess is that it will be the same as it ever was; looking great but achieving little.

He has been for most of his career.

Yes he does. I think the fact he has not said anything is more guilt than anything. Also Willian has been our best player in general play. Not his fault the rest of the team are not on par with him and look clueless. If every other player put in the same shift he has for majority of season, he would thrive even more. Liverpool, was good but yet again the rest of the team was sluggish. Tonight, he was the best player in the whole game. Obviously the free kick helped him get more plaudits but it was his excellent play that got us the first goal and was the main threat all match. West Ham he was fantastic for the whole game as well but once again the rest of the team were not on par with him. It is not easy looking like the only one who gives a shit.

1. Willian was certainly the man of the match last night. No question about it. He has always looked eye catching. Other than in-form Hazard, he is our best ball carrier and has always looked looked way better than Oscar for example. Oscar has however always, up to now, produced more.

2. Willian's work rate is, and always has been, fantastic.

3. He has definitely been our best player so far this season.

4. In terms of attacking production from open play, we are not currently getting any more from Willian than has ever been the case. We are still seeing the missed chances and the missed opportunities to create chances. I say again, Senhor Borges Da Silva is fluid, beats players and looks good but achieves too little.

5. Neither Oscar nor Willian is good enough for the team Chelsea want to be. We need upgrades for both.

willian must have put atleast 4 to 5 crosses or cut backs in the box.

a winger can only "produce" when he has a striker to feed to, and costa has been poor.

willian's passing range, ball carrying, dribbling are wonderful.

does he have problems in the last 3rd - yes ,does he have problems with his end product - yes, but that is hardly the reason to say he is not good enough.

willian as a no.10 flanked by hazard and pedro and with costa ahead of him, in their normal forms would be a joy to watch.

Shut up, Stats. Being a fan of a player when he's playing decent football has nothing to with his current form. He's playing good football at the moment and he's decisive. If he goes back to decency, the criticism will return.

Enjoying his purple patch. Would be great if it wasn't just patch. I need to find a Willian look-a-like baby to adopt.

NO! Don't tell me to shut up. The criticism that he used to get was ridiculous and OTT. People saw a glimpse of Kenedy and there was so much wankfst over him with some people saying he was an upgrade over Willian. I know he has been criticised for his play in the final third before but apart fromt hat he adds so much. Even second part of last season he took his game to another level. But for some people, stats are the only thing that will standout which is a shame. I remember when Mourinho was unsure about sellign Cech and he suggested getting an Arsenal player in return. So many people wanted Chamberlain because he is a quality player and people thought he would be an upgrade over the likes of Willian yet his play in the final third is no better.

1. Willian was certainly the man of the match last night. No question about it. He has always looked eye catching. Other than in-form Hazard, he is our best ball carrier and has always looked looked way better than Oscar for example. Oscar has however always, up to now, produced more.

2. Willian's work rate is, and always has been, fantastic.

3. In terms of attacking production from open play we are not currently getting any more from Willian than has ever been the case. We are still seeing the missed chances and the missed opportunities to create chances. I say again, Senhor Borges Da Silva is fluid, beats players and looks good but achieves too little.

4. Neither Oscar nor Willian is good enough for the team Chelsea want to be. We need upgrades for both.

Oscar may have previously had better stats but Willian is just a much better player. It is so obvious to see. Been crying this out before the season started. Oscar plays good when the team is playing good. The team is playing bad he rarely will offer anything in attack which is why he has no goals this season and has rarely looked close to scoring when playing.

We need a upgrade for Oscar, not Willian. We did have an upgrade on Oscar but he was sold unfortunately. Willian is fine and I never wanted him outt he team from last season. He had things to work on and that is what he is doing. I don't see who is out there tht can do a better job than he does defensively and offensively. I think you should give him a bit more credit. I would have him in the team all day long. Think that is very harsh to say we need an upgrade, completely disagree.

People look at his success from set-pieces and judge him based on that but for me he has far better qualities than that.

Vision: ✓

General passing: ✓

Ability to beat a man: ✓

Great link-up play with others: ✓

Ability to shoot: ✓

Put a defensive shift in: ✓

Match winner: ✓

Steps up when others aren't performing: ✓

He is basically Ramires with fantastic dribbling, vision, and passing. My favorite is his trademark cross-field pass.

Willian, fantastic passing? Can't agree with that at all. Poor would be my grade on his passing over the course of his Chelsea career. It is the main reason he flatters to deceive.; looks good but produces little.

NO! Don't tell me to shut up. The criticism that he used to get was ridiculous and OTT. People saw a glimpse of Kenedy and there was so much wankfst over him with some people saying he was an upgrade over Willian. I know he has been criticised for his play in the final third before but apart fromt hat he adds so much. Even second part of last season he took his game to another level. But for some people, stats are the only thing that will standout which is a shame. I remember when Mourinho was unsure about sellign Cech and he suggested getting an Arsenal player in return. So many people wanted Chamberlain because he is a quality player and people thought he would be an upgrade over the likes of Willian yet his play in the final third is no better.

Oscar may have previously had better stats but Willian is just a much better player. It is so obvious to see. Been crying this out before the season started. Oscar plays good when the team is playing good. The team is playing bad he rarely will offer anything in attack which is why he has no goals this season and has rarely looked close to scoring when playing.

We need a upgrade for Oscar, not Willian. We did have an upgrade on Oscar but he was sold unfortunately. Willian is fine and I never wanted him outt he team from last season. He had things to work on and that is what he is doing. I don't see who is out there tht can do a better job than he does defensively and offensively. I think you should give him a bit more credit. I would have him in the team all day long. Think that is very harsh to say we need an upgrade, completely disagree.

This is the heart of the difference between us. You say Willian is better, I say he looks better. In every way Willian looks a better player than Oscar, and don't get me wrong I've been calling for Oscar to be replaced since January 2013, but what does Willian accomplish? Oscar's attacking stats vs Willian's is a no contest.

There was a magnificently stylish Australian batsman called David Hookes. He was even better aesthetically than Greg Chapple and Mark Waugh (widely regarded as two of the most pleasing to watch batsmen in the history of the game) but, whereas those two backed up their style with a pile of runs, Hookes didn't so, nowadays, people rightly ask, "David who?". Looking good ain't being good.

This is the heart of the difference between us. You say Willian is better, I say he looks better. In every way Willian looks a better player than Oscar, and don't get me wrong I've been calling for Oscar to be replaced since January 2013, but what does Willian accomplish? Oscar's attacking stats vs Willian's is a no contest.

When Oscar has looked good we have won. Now that Willian seems to be the best player in the side, how are we doing? Perhaps this is just a coincidence but perhaps not.

And where is Oscar? And let's not forget when we won the league, second part of the season, Willian was a major contribution. Any coincidence? You obviously don't rate him much as a player. You seem to think that Willian has suddenly found form. Like I said, he stepped up hugely in the second part of last season. Him and Hazard were our best outfield players.

Sanchez attacking stats is a lot better than Hazard's. Does that mean he is a better player or that Hazard did not deserve to be POTY last season?

And where is Oscar? And let's not forget when we won the league, second part of the season, Willian was a major contribution. Any coincidence? You obviously don't rate him much as a player. You seem to think that Willian has suddenly found form. Like I said, he stepped up hugely in the second part of last season. Him and Hazard were our best outfield players.

Sanchez attacking stats is a lot better than Hazard's. Does that mean he is a better player or that Hazard did not deserve to be POTY last season?

No! I am not saying that Willian has found form. I'm saying that things are going well for him from set pieces but that otherwise his level* is exactly as it ever was and that his level, though it flatters to deceive, is not good enough for what we need.

Sanchez's output at Arsenal has been way better than I thought it would be I must say. A case could be made, and was made by Arsenal fans as well as by some others, that he, not Eden, should have been POTY. Had Arsenal won the league it is my guess that Sanchez would have won the vote. Jose Mourinho works for us however, not for Arsenal.

*I prefer to talk about level rather than form because we all understand that form comes and goes.

His set pieces were always decent. He delivered the winning set piece to Ivanovic to score the winning goal for us vs Liverpool in the COC semi final for example. But this season his set pieces are truly a weapon, every time he takes one I have an excitement in me that it could be/create a goal.

If you're playing well and being decisive it improves your confidence and it has a positive influence on your whole game, his whole game reached another level. He's full of confidence and is on fire, he's no longer afraid to lose the ball, he's now taking 2-3 man on and is always looking for the final ball instead of a safe back pass.

I hope he keeps this up and keeps working hard for the team.