Willian

Jase

Willian is a winger - or a striker (played like that on few occasions). When he played through the middle it was more often like a false 9, or a second striker than as a #10. He's a not what I would call a #10, even if plays through the middle. He belongs to the wings though and unlike a few players we have in our team that only have one foot, he has two football feet, which doesn't compromise switching wings during the match.

Of course he's not terrible in the #10, but he's far from Oscar and Mata level, so why? That's the main reason he played in the wings or as a second striker in Shakhtar more than as a #10

He played as a left winger for shaktar, but mykatarian(in dortmund now) was actually the attacking midfielder there. But willian played a couple of games on the right for both Anzi and shaktar. But he can basically play everywhere across the front 3.

I see him as a versatile player who can only increase the options available to Jose. Some stress Mourinhos over concentation on defence ,,,but i remember his boldness

particularly with EARLY substitutions .. I thought Jose's motto was "If the fucking things broke FIX IT FAST" Perhaps at times Willian might be Mr Fix IT

Oscar isn't fast enough or potent enough to play in that three. You need at least 2 players that can shift in that three then you can afford to have a player like Mata who is 100% technical. Oscar should take Lampards role next to Rami ! Willian should play on the right switching with Hazard !

I see him as a versatile player who can only increase the options available to Jose. Some stress Mourinhos over concentation on defence ,,,but i remember his boldness

particularly with EARLY substitutions .. I thought Jose's motto was "If the fucking things broke FIX IT FAST" Perhaps at times Willian might be Mr Fix IT

Exactly, mourinho doesn't have to think twice if someone is not having a good day

I didn't read any post in this thread, but I believe that there are few members, who are questioning this transfer or are in doubts shall I say.
First of all, I've been watching Shakhtar a lot, and Anzhi not so much, but still watched more than half of their matches. I will say shortly. This guy is game-changer. Some of you may laugh at me, but he is that kind of player, who can make a deadly through ball or make an opportunity from nothing. He's not the youngest player, but that's even better, because he will reach his peak soon. He played in Ukrainian and Russian league, nothing special. But if we look that he played under Lucescu (who is a genius tactician) and Hiddink who developed him even more, we can see that he is not just some random Brazilian playing in Russia. He didn't play for Brazil a lot, yes, because it's harder to scout players who play in a smaller league. Hulk for example, was known way before he joined Zenit, so scouts just kept watching him while playing in Russia. Fernandinho has the same story as Willian. Don't be surprised as they will be picked more and more often for national team. Mourinho will make him even better, by boosting his defending skills and improving his workrate. This guy will shine.

Im happy to see that someone really watched some of his games. He is exactly what you said, a game-changer, someone that can both play the incisive through pass or dribble through the opponents. He will be a lot of peoples favourites by december. So im booking him first :P

I didn't read any post in this thread, but I believe that there are few members, who are questioning this transfer or are in doubts shall I say.
First of all, I've been watching Shakhtar a lot, and Anzhi not so much, but still watched more than half of their matches. I will say shortly. This guy is game-changer. Some of you may laugh at me, but he is that kind of player, who can make a deadly through ball or make an opportunity from nothing. He's not the youngest player, but that's even better, because he will reach his peak soon. He played in Ukrainian and Russian league, nothing special. But if we look that he played under Lucescu (who is a genius tactician) and Hiddink who developed him even more, we can see that he is not just some random Brazilian playing in Russia. He didn't play for Brazil a lot, yes, because it's harder to scout players who play in a smaller league. Hulk for example, was known way before he joined Zenit, so scouts just kept watching him while playing in Russia. Fernandinho has the same story as Willian. Don't be surprised as they will be picked more and more often for national team. Mourinho will make him even better, by boosting his defending skills and improving his workrate. This guy will shine.

What about his style? Is he and out and out winger or does he have ambitions to play down the middle like most 'wingers'? :lol:

I've been hugely impressed by Schurrle, so it'll be interesting to see the impact Willian can make ahead of him.

A lot of us don't like the transfer and it has nothing to do with Willian's talent. We didn't need another attacking midfielder and 32M is a massive fee for something we didn't really need.

What about his style? Is he and out and out winger or does he have ambitions to play down the middle like most 'wingers'? :lol:

I've been hugely impressed by Schurrle, so it'll be interesting to see the impact Willian can make ahead of him.

He can play anywhere behind the striker in 4-2-3-1 formation. In Shakhtar he mostly played on the left side. But I believe, in modern football there isn't such term as fixed position during the match, because during match players rotate and that's the best way to confuse opponent. Of course, when we see a squad we get a picture where someone will be mostly playing during the match, but as I said, players rotate. Willian is a poor finisher, but he really doesn't shoot that much. He isn't your classical winger that runs to the very end of the pitch and then crosses the ball into the box. I'd say he cuts in and then makes a key pass. He had most key passes in the Russian league last season and he assisted 3 of 4 Anzhi goals this seasons. His dribbling abillity is one of the best. I don't overreact, in terms of driblling he is on the same level as Hazard, if not better. In my opinion Jose, will play him in the middle, trying to transform Oscar to pivot player.

RW/RAM: Mata, De Bruyne

LW/LAM: Hazard, Schurrle

CAM: Willian, (Oscar)

Imagine Hazard, Willian & Mata all changing their positions behind the striker, causing a diarrhea in pants of the defenders.

A lot of us don't like the transfer and it has nothing to do with Willian's talent. We didn't need another attacking midfielder and 32M is a massive fee for something we didn't really need.

I undestand where you are coming from, but you really can't have too much qaulity. It's only better for our club to see that we have players on the bench that could play in other teams as the first choice. I also think we should buy CB/CDM, but as I said, if we buy quality player it can't do us wrong, even if it isn't our main priority.

Melanicus, I personally don't think Willian won't play at number 10 too often for us because he's far more effective than Mata on the flanks.

I think he'll play opposite Hazard on the right flank.

Melanicus, I personally don't think Willian won't play at number 10 too often for us because he's far more effective than Mata on the flanks.

I think he'll play opposite Hazard on the right flank.

The problem with Willian is that he doesn't contribute a lot in the defence. Mata has also the same problem, but Mata has left leg. Why I say this? Because Mourinho clearly stated that he likes his wingers to have opposite foot to the side they are playing. So he wants left footed player on the right, we only have Mata who is left footed. Of course Willian is good with both feet, but I'm almost sure Mata will be the first choice on the right. And as I already said before, they will change positions non-stop during the match, so it really doesn't matter that much.

The problem with Willian is that he doesn't contribute a lot in the defence. Mata has also the same problem, but Mata has left leg. Why I say this? Because Mourinho clearly stated that he likes his wingers to have opposite foot to the side they are playing. So he wants left footed player on the right, we only have Mata who is left footed. Of course Willian is good with both feet, but I'm almost sure Mata will be the first choice on the right. And as I already said before, they will change positions non-stop during the match, so it really doesn't matter that much.

Yeah, you're right regarding such but I think Willian is actually the better option out wide simply because he can take his man on and beat him, and provide better width. I don't think Willian is a better number 10 than Mata at all, so buying him for that spot when we have Oscar and KDB who can also play there doesn't make sense - couple it with the fact that we sent out our only true right winger out on loan (Moses), I think Willian will predominantly play on the right, but will obviously exchange in game with the likes of Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Schurrle & KDB.

I also think from what I've seen of Willian during his time at Shakhtar and Anzhi that defensively he's better than Mata especially when it comes to work rate - probably because he's more athletic. He's used to playing on the flanks anyway seeing as at Anzhi Eto'o does play as the 10 behind Lacine Traore, with Zhirkov and Willian flanking him. It'll probably be the same here at CFC but with our 3 AMs behind Eto'o or whoever is up front exchanging a lot more fluently.

Yeah, you're right regarding such but I think Willian is actually the better option out wide simply because he can take his man on and beat him, and provide better width. I don't think Willian is a better number 10 than Mata at all, so buying him for that spot when we have Oscar and KDB who can also play there doesn't make sense - couple it with the fact that we sent out our only true right winger out on loan (Moses), I think Willian will predominantly play on the right, but will obviously exchange in game with the likes of Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Schurrle & KDB.

I also think from what I've seen of Willian during his time at Shakhtar and Anzhi that defensively he's better than Mata especially when it comes to work rate - probably because he's more athletic. He's used to playing on the flanks anyway seeing as at Anzhi Eto'o does play as the 10 behind Lacine Traore, with Zhirkov and Willian flanking him. It'll probably be the same here at CFC but with our 3 AMs behind Eto'o or whoever is up front exchanging a lot more fluently b

Willian is by no way better #10 than Mata. He is also faster, or should I say he has better acceleration than Mata and better dribbler of the ball. He is certainly more suited as a wide attacking midfielder, but those quotes by Mourinho saying that he wants his left footed players to play on the right made me think that it will be Mata playing on the right side.

But you never know really, Mourinho also said it was 'Rooney or bust' so we will see. By no means we can say that Willian isn't a good signing or that he won't help Chelsea in this season.

What if some games, Mou wants to go as fast as possible on the counter, and sends hazard back to his loved #10 position and plays schurrle since he's impressed more on the right.

Eto

Willian - Hazard - Schurrle

We'll be so fast on the counter, no team will even dare attack us :fainthv9:

What if some games, Mou wants to go as fast as possible on the counter, and sends hazard back to his loved #10 position and plays schurrle since he's impressed more on the right.

Eto

dont forget rammy bombing forward too

Eto

I'd still back Oscar for the no10.