Willian

Jase

15 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I literally, whether in football or any other endeavour in life, have never heard of an announced two year contract that included a contracted year already existing, so in effect it is just a 1 year extension. If you could point me to such a deal, it would help your case.

Multiple reports call it a 2 year extension, btw

This.

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Pretty sure it's that. For example, Hazard signed a five-year contract when he joined in June 2012 and then in February 2015, he signed a five-and-a-half year contract extension. His initial contract was meant to expire in the summer of 2017 and the extension extended it by 3 years. It wasn't five years added after 2017. They usually add the extension length on top of the remaining contract length left. 

@Superblue_1986 @Vesper Another example is Kante. Signed a five-year deal when he joined in 2016, which would take him up to 2021. But last year, 2018 he signed a five-year extension, taking him till 2023. The extension merely extended the expiry by 2 years. It's not 5 years added with the initial 5.

I'm literally just taking it at face value. To me a new 2 year is a 2 year contract.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/07/15/mason-mount-commits-to-chelsea-with-new-contract-signed?cardIndex=15-6

Chelsea stated Mason Mount has signed a new 5 year contract. That's not a 5 year extension to his existing deal, it's a new 5 year contract that runs for 5 years, superseding the previous contract.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

This.

that was a massive pay raise as well. Willian is already on £120K per week (same as Drinkwater)

maybe they will bump him up higher, but that will make him almost impossible to sell next summer, when he turns 32

almost every article I have seen for months is talking about an EXTENSION of two years

IF we get him to accept a re-do and for it (a new '2 year contract') to end in 2021 then that is fine, as long as the wages do not explode

if they do, we are going to be stuck with him and he will walk on a free in 2021

nightmare that we did not sell him for £65m last summer and upgrade with a better, younger player

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

that was a massive pay raise as well. Willian is already on £120K per week (same as Drinkwater)

maybe they will bump him up higher, but that will make him almost impossible to sell next summer, when he turns 32

almost every article I have seen for months is talking about an EXTENSION of two years

IF we get him to accept a re-do and for it (a new '2 year contract') to end in 2021 then that is fine, as long as the wages do not explode

if they do, we are going to be stuck with him and he will walk on a free in 2021

nightmare that we did not sell him for £65m last summer and upgrade with a better, younger player

That's Hazard/Kante. This is Willian.

Not sure why you're full-blown panicking when it's not even confirmed yet but it's funny though. :Goober: 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

@Superblue_1986 @Vesper Another example is Kante. Signed a five-year deal when he joined in 2016, which would take him up to 2021. But last year, 2018 he signed a five-year extension, taking him till 2023. The extension merely extended the expiry by 2 years. It's not 5 years added with the initial 5.

Both Eden and Kante had multiple years left when their contracts (and hear is the key word) were renegotiated (and lengthened).

Willian's contract expires in around 10 months, 3 weeks.

They only way I can see him coming down and accepting a (what is in effect) 12 month extension plus wage re-do as if we are talking a massive salary increase. THAT fucks us hard in terms of selling him next summer. It basically means we will have a 31yo this year, and a 32yo next season who is on massive wages and is unsalable, THEN walks on a free in 2021. It is gross mismanagement yet again.

Just now, Vesper said:

Both Eden and Kante had multiple years left when their contracts (and hear is the key word) were renegotiated (and lengthened).

Willian's contract expires in around 10 months, 3 weeks.

They only way I can see him coming down and accepting a (what is in effect) 12 month extension plus wage re-do as if we are talking a massive salary increase. THAT fucks us hard in terms of selling him next summer. It basically means we will have a 31yo this year, and a 32yo next season who is on massive wages and is unsalable, THEN walks on a free in 2021. It is gross mismanagement yet again.

When in doubt, sell to China. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's Hazard/Kante. This is Willian.

Not sure why you're full-blown panicking when it's not even confirmed yet but it's funny though. :Goober: 

I am not panicking at all, I just think that we are talking about extending his contract to 2022, not 2021. 2022 with same wages makes his sale much more likely next summer. Try unloading a 32yo winger who is on, say £175K or so a week and who's contract expires in less than a year who is NOT named Messi or CR7.

Just now, Vesper said:

I am not panicking at all, I just think that we are talking about extending his contract to 2022, not 2021. 2022 with same wages makes his sale much more likely net summer. Try unloading a 32yo winger who is on, say £175K or so a week who is NOT named Messi or CR7.

Okay, maybe the right expression is "freaking out". :P 

36 minutes ago, Vesper said:

There is an argument for the club potentially keeping him for another 2 years. We can't rebuild everything in one window and, if we're talking focusing on 2 or 3 players next summer and spending top money to get top players in, replacing Willian wouldn't be a priority for me. Striker, left back and possibly centre back would all be before this.

We have to make sure we don't make the mistakes of the summer 2017 window trying to stretch our transfer budget over too many players because it will impact the quality we can pick up. I'd far rather be looking at a top striker next summer and then someone like Sancho the following summer, than next summer buying two much cheaper and inferior players for those positions.

The hope is that CHO and Pulisic develop over this season into two high quality wingers and bringing in a top drawer wide player is not a priority as a result. Also to be noted that Pedro's contract is up next summer also, so if we had to bring in a new wide player it may be decided to dispose of Pedro next summer and Willian the following summer.

17 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

There is an argument for the club potentially keeping him for another 2 years. We can't rebuild everything in one window and, if we're talking focusing on 2 or 3 players next summer and spending top money to get top players in, replacing Willian wouldn't be a priority for me. Striker, left back and possibly centre back would all be before this.

We have to make sure we don't make the mistakes of the summer 2017 window trying to stretch our transfer budget over too many players because it will impact the quality we can pick up. I'd far rather be looking at a top striker next summer and then someone like Sancho the following summer, than next summer buying two much cheaper and inferior players for those positions.

The hope is that CHO and Pulisic develop over this season into two high quality wingers and bringing in a top drawer wide player is not a priority as a result. Also to be noted that Pedro's contract is up next summer also, so if we had to bring in a new wide player it may be decided to dispose of Pedro next summer and Willian the following summer.

I run the numbers here (and this is IF we went full billy big bollocks and made a play for Mbappe, take him off consideration and we have half billion quid or more to play with IF we bloody start selling, and obviously it doesn't all have to happen in one window)

Him or CHO will get it when willy leaves. Willian done way more and won way more to date.

Again its just a number who cares and we have a transfer ban so need him
CHO could be gone before Willian retires at this rate.

Just now, MoroccanBlue said:

I can’t honestly think of a bigger fraud in football.  

He has been good for us through the years but has been surplus for 2 seasons imo. It boggels my mind how we refused to sell him not once but twice to Barca for well over his value and now we are more than happy to extend and offer higher wages......its not savy at all and pretty stupid ban or no ban.