The Ice Hockey Thread

Spike

Anyone follow ice hockey? I'm getting NHL2013 soon and I'm wondering what team I should play as. Leaning towards the Montreal Canadiens right now, mainly because if I were to do a year abroad I'd like to do Montreal.

ANYWAY, yeah ice hockey is cool even though it's non-existent in Australia.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge ice hockey fan and personally support both Vancouver Canucks and Columbus Blue Jackets, played the ea nhl series from '10 to '13 and always played with vancouver who have a good all round team and goalie. Got within the top 200 online on xbox with them for the past 2 years too. Other strong teams are penguins, blackhawks and bruins. If you're interested in an up and coming team look out for the Wild, Lightning and especially the Oilers who have arguably the best offensive team in the league, they just need to improve their D and goaltending, which they half did this previous draft.

As much as I like the NHL, nothing now beats hockey at the Olympics. There are about 7 top teams (Canada, US, Russia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Sweden, and Finland-teams like Austria, Switzerland, and Germany aren't bad) all of whom have some awesome quality. The level of competition is fierce. This year's Olympics held in Russia promises to offer some spectacular hockey.

@TorontoChelsea, @Jusek, @somethingnew,

Since I'm Australian and ignorant (bit of a redundant statement :ph34r: ) how long do the seasons last for and when is the best time to watch? I don't think we get great coverage in Oz so I'd have to stream obviously. And once I pick a team, I always stick with that team. So I better pick well.

@TorontoChelsea, @Jusek, @somethingnew,

Since I'm Australian and ignorant (bit of a redundant statement :ph34r: ) how long do the seasons last for and when is the best time to watch? I don't think we get great coverage in Oz so I'd have to stream obviously. And once I pick a team, I always stick with that team. So I better pick well.

The season is 82 games. The best time to watch though, is the playoffs. 16 teams make the playoffs and they are incredibly exciting, especially if it goes into overtime. I wouldn't worry too much about who is good right now because that can change dramatically in a year or two. I would definitely avoid teams not in Canada or in the northern US where they care a lot about hockey. (Some teams in the south have had to relocate due to lack of interest). The difference is enormous. In Toronto, you literally can't get hockey tickets unless you pay triple the price. In Winnipeg, a city of 700, 000 or so, the games are sold out for years. If it were me, that'd be an important factor. Picking a team with a large base.

A tiny bit of hockey history. The NHL was the original 6 until 1967. Those teams, Toronto, Montreal,Boston, NY Rangers, Detroit, and Chicago have the most history. Montreal has easily the most Stanley Cup wins with 24. The Maple Leafs have 13 (but none since 1967!) Red Wings have 11. Hockey used to be a game of dominant teams. The Canadians of the 70s, the Islanders of the 70's and 80's, the Oilers of the 80s, the Penguins of the 90s, but the Salary Cap has made that impossible so now there is a lot more mediocrity. Since your first instinct was Montreal, I would recommend them strongly. They have history, a strong following, and a pretty good team now.

@TorontoChelsea, I'd love to do a year of study in Canada and it would be amazing to see a game. Most of the partner Universities are in Quebec (HEC Montreal, Ecole Polytechnique, and Bishop's Univerity) so sadly I can't visit you in Toronto. :cry: But yeah, I really want to live in Canada.

@TorontoChelsea, I'd love to do a year of study in Canada and it would be amazing to see a game. Most of the partner Universities are in Quebec (HEC Montreal, Ecole Polytechnique, and Bishop's Univerity) so sadly I can't visit you in Toronto. :cry: But yeah, I really want to live in Canada.

Flights are really cheap now within that part of Canada because of Porter airlines so I am sure if you go to Montreal, you will come to Toronto, go to Quebec, visit New York, etc...Just choose the Canadiens already! (The Habs is another nickname for them. short for Les Habitants.)

Flights are really cheap now within that part of Canada because of Porter airlines so I am sure if you go to Montreal, you will come to Toronto, go to Quebec, visit New York, etc...Just choose the Canadiens already! (The Habs is another nickname for them. short for Les Habitants.)

I already have! I had practically chosen them before I made this topic. I'm actually looking to get a job right now so I can save up for a year abroad. It's like $2000 just for a one way to Toronto or Montreal!

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoy hockey. been a Capitals fan for a very long time. i have seem them choke away the playoffs in more ways than i can count. i love that team and i hate that team...if that makes any sense. once missed a week of high school after they got knocked out of the playoffs.

realigment is going to be interesting. i like the caps being in a division similar to the old Patrick division.

choose any team you want but DO NOT choose the caps...unless you are a moschist.

• 3 weeks later...