Two roads diverged in a yellow wood....

hjperdeath

40-60 million is the range that the tabloids have predicted for Barcelona to shell out on our own David Luiz - The Geezer who was responsible for the smiles in our most direst of times - and gone are the days when center-backs can hide behind the gigantic transfer fee's of world-class attackers.
The world of football is such that every tiny little rumor regarding transfers are beaten around the bush while the people in question do not openly come out and say anything resulting in a lot has been made out of this small yet irritating rumor.
Lets reminisce for a second. Chelsea's defense was leaky, so leaky that no amount of duct tape could stop the balls creeping into Cech's net. Rafael Benitez's arrival, *cough* menu please *cough*, strengthened the defense due to simple reasons. He told Luiz to get his act right and quit trying to take risks while helping Cahill out on his reading ability. We all remember the phenomenal game Cahill had against Manchester City in the Premier League.
Luiz's performance did improve, with notable performances in the Europa League and against Manchester United in the FA Cup. The point is that the reason we would want to sell Luiz should never be based on the fact that he makes mistakes at his age. That's equivalent to selling Mata cause he couldn't provide accurate through balls in a few games. Luiz has had his share of good moments as well, though it's a lot more on Mata's side.
Yes he's eccentric and at times over the top with everything he does, but when he has set his mind right, there are hardly any defenders who could be compared to him. Mind you, when we talk about comparing defenders, I'm not just talking about attributes but also of certain values. Luiz is passionate and this stems from his Brazilian roots. Moreover he is passionate about Chelsea, the club, the fans and the jersey. Selling this for anything around 60 million and expecting to get it back is stupid, as the value of such characteristics are priceless.

Chelsea will never be out-muscled when it comes to money, thanks to the Russian rubles. The only way a move could be forced through is if the defender himself forces a move through and I do not really see him as the type of player who would hand in a transfer request.
Now let's for a moment say that we do sell Luiz. Then what? We are obviously expected to go into the market for another world-class center-back. Finding a center-back like that would be a rarity but not impossible. Chelsea would probably use the same amount of money to get somebody else. Luiz is just about to enter his prime and getting someone who is young and in-experienced would be stupid. So that narrows it down to defenders who are experienced, at their peaks and well capable to fit into the squad. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't really appreciate the idea of bringing in a 30 year old at a time when the club is aiming for stability and a future with a solid foundation.
Let's say that Chelsea go for a top center-back. We can form a comparison between arguably the best center-backs in the world(in common opinion) . This includes Luiz who is 26 years of age, Hummels (24) , Subotic (24) , Vidic(31), Silva (28), Ferdinand (34) , Pique (26) and Kompany (27).

yrlj.png
As can be seen, only Subotic or Hummels could be seen as realistic transfers from this list. Though we aren't comparing other targets, we can clearly see how Luiz doesn't fare that bad. Keep in mind that Luiz has played more games last season, totaling 47 as compared to that of others who have played 38, 36, 20, 39, 29, 39 and 32 games. His tackles per game were 7th best while interceptions per game were second best. He had committed 1.4 fouls per game last time around, the highest among the rest.

What I'm trying to convey is that, Luiz still has time to become something phenomenal. Carvalho, Drogba, Makelele erupted into world-class players under the guidance of Mourinho. There isn't a better manager at this time to show a young player the right path. Mourinho has reitereated how Luiz is integral to the squad, and there is very little reason why you would disagree with him. Luiz also has been lucky to have two mentors on his side, namely John Terry and Thiago Silva.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and David Luiz took the one less traveled by cause of two senior players blocking the other road, the land more fertile on the road less traveled by and the sun a little brighter without the shade. Think about it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40-60 million is the range that the tabloids have predicted for Barcelona to shell out on our own David Luiz - The Geezer who was responsible for the smiles in our most direst of times - and gone are the days when center-backs can hide behind the gigantic transfer fee's of world-class attackers.
The world of football is such that every tiny little rumor regarding transfers are beaten around the bush while the people in question do not openly come out and say anything resulting in a lot has been made out of this small yet irritating rumor.
Lets reminisce for a second. Chelsea's defense was leaky, so leaky that no amount of duct tape could stop the balls creeping into Cech's net. Rafael Benitez's arrival, *cough* menu please *cough*, strengthened the defense due to simple reasons. He told Luiz to get his act right and quit trying to take risks while helping Cahill out on his reading ability. We all remember the phenomenal game Cahill had against Manchester City in the Premier League.
Luiz's performance did improve, with notable performances in the Europa League and against Manchester United in the FA Cup. The point is that the reason we would want to sell Luiz should never be based on the fact that he makes mistakes at his age. That's equivalent to selling Mata cause he couldn't provide accurate through balls in a few games. Luiz has had his share of good moments as well, though it's a lot more on Mata's side.
Yes he's eccentric and at times over the top with everything he does, but when he has set his mind right, there are hardly any defenders who could be compared to him. Mind you, when we talk about comparing defenders, I'm not just talking about attributes but also of certain values. Luiz is passionate and this stems from his Brazilian roots. Moreover he is passionate about Chelsea, the club, the fans and the jersey. Selling this for anything around 60 million and expecting to get it back is stupid, as the value of such characteristics are priceless.

Chelsea will never be out-muscled when it comes to money, thanks to the Russian rubles. The only way a move could be forced through is if the defender himself forces a move through and I do not really see him as the type of player who would hand in a transfer request.

Now let's for a moment say that we do sell Luiz. Then what? We are obviously expected to go into the market for another world-class center-back. Finding a center-back like that would be a rarity but not impossible. Chelsea would probably use the same amount of money to get somebody else. Luiz is just about to enter his prime and getting someone who is young and in-experienced would be stupid. So that narrows it down to defenders who are experienced, at their peaks and well capable to fit into the squad. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't really appreciate the idea of bringing in a 30 year old at a time when the club is aiming for stability and a future with a solid foundation.
Let's say that Chelsea go for a top center-back. We can form a comparison between arguably the best center-backs in the world(in common opinion) . This includes Luiz who is 26 years of age, Hummels (24) , Subotic (24) , Vidic(31), Silva (28), Ferdinand (34) , Pique (26) and Kompany (27).

yrlj.png

As can be seen, only Subotic or Hummels could be seen as realistic transfers from this list. Though we aren't comparing other targets, we can clearly see how Luiz doesn't fare that bad. Keep in mind that Luiz has played more games last season, totaling 47 as compared to that of others who have played 38, 36, 20, 39, 29, 39 and 32 games. His tackles per game were 7th best while interceptions per game were second best. He had committed 1.4 fouls per game last time around, the highest among the rest.

What I'm trying to convey is that, Luiz still has time to become something phenomenal. Carvalho, Drogba, Makelele erupted into world-class players under the guidance of Mourinho. There isn't a better manager at this time to show a young player the right path. Mourinho has reitereated how Luiz is integral to the squad, and there is very little reason why you would disagree with him. Luiz also has been lucky to have two mentors on his side, namely John Terry and Thiago Silva.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and David Luiz took the one less traveled by cause of two senior players blocking the other road, the land more fertile on the road less traveled by and the sun a little brighter without the shade. Think about it.

Makelele was already world class in Madrid.

And for the defence improvement under Benitez, the system changed a lot.

It was a mix of zonal for cutting passing angles, pressing to close space on some zone (trap zone) that could enable quick counter-attacks.

With this system, the defenders could be more agressive on some zones which suits David Luiz who is very good on one on one defending and interceptions.

Azpilicueta as the right back was also important as he could press higher the pitch and is difficult to beat definately while players were running past Ivanovic easily, when they were in front, there were no chance he could come back.

With Ivanovic, Terry and Cahill in the defence, it's asking for trouble as they are not very good on one on one, all prefers to drop back wich is not good if you want the midfield pushing.

Makelele was already world class in Madrid.

And for the defence improvement under Benitez, the system changed a lot.

It was a mix of zonal for cutting passing angles, pressing to close space on some zone (trap zone) that could enable quick counter-attacks.

With this system, the defenders could be more agressive on some zones which suits David Luiz who is very good on one on one defending and interceptions.

Azpilicueta as the right back was also important as he could press higher the pitch and is difficult to beat definately while players were running past Ivanovic easily, when they were in front, there were no chance he could come back.

With Ivanovic, Terry and Cahill in the defence, it's asking for trouble as they are not very good on one on one, all prefers to drop back wich is not good if you want the midfield pushing.

He was was good , but not as good as he was when he joined Chelsea.

Good job, Robert Frost :P

One thing the article does not highlight, however, is Luiz's ball distribution skills and another is his ability to make supporting runs to midfield and give us a numerical advantage when needed. Those two aspects in Luiz's game are very important to any team imo and set him apart from other CBs (along with his unbelievable technical ability)

He was was good , but not as good as he was when he joined Chelsea.

What rubbish. You clearly know nothing about Makelele's history, or you wouldn't come out with stuff like that. Go read up on the player, and see the plaudits he still gets for his part in all the trophies won at Real Madrid in his time there. He was most definitely world class. Zidane likened him to the teams engine - take that away and you have got a spluttering mess. Not even that. His exit was the catalyst for a barren run for Madrid. He simply didn't stand out - like Carrick. Perez being the toolkit he is as usual refused to give him a pay rise, because he passed backwards...

Anyway I was a big fan of Makelele. I would watch Madrid week in week out, because of my favourite player of all time - Raul.(non United)

Edited by JayC

What rubbish. You clearly know nothing about Makelele's history, or you wouldn't come out with stuff like that. Go read up on the player, and see the plaudits he still gets for his part in all the trophies won at Real Madrid in his time there. He was most definitely world class. Zidane likened him to the teams engine - take that away and you have got a spluttering mess. Not even that. His exit was the catalyst for a barren run for Madrid. He simply didn't stand out - like Carrick. Perez being the toolkit he is as usual refused to give him a pay rise, because he passed backwards...

Anyway I was a big fan of Makelele. I would watch Madrid week in week out, because of my favourite player of all time - Raul.(non United)

tumblr_inline_mq9die1Mv21ruzzx4.gif

Carrick..standing out..You must be joking

He is Manure's Mikel- living in mediocrity

tumblr_inline_mq9die1Mv21ruzzx4.gif

Carrick..standing out..You must be joking

He is Manure's Mikel- living in mediocrity

Truth is, you wish you had Carrick. It's what your team misses, and it will cost you the league.

Laugh it up, big boy. ;p

Truth is, you wish you had Carrick. It's what your team misses, and it will cost you the league.

Laugh it up, big boy. ;p

Seriously mate, i wish we had DDR. Carrick's no big deal. If we're losing out on the title because we're missing out on Carrick-or atleast someone lke him- i'll happily concede...and i'm pretty sure we'll be conceding to City and not United.

Seriously mate, i wish we had DDR. Carrick's no big deal. If we're losing out on the title because we're missing out on Carrick-or atleast someone lke him- i'll happily concede...and i'm pretty sure we'll be conceding to City and not United.

I think you should show my teams players some more respect to be honest.

I didn't expect you to rate him. The majority of fans cannot grasp his importance. It's fine though.

Edited by JayC

Laugh it up, big boy. ;p

I find myself awkwardly agreeing with the fact that Carrick is a sublime player and truly underrated for quite some time.

More instrumental to United's title last season than RVP imo

I think you should show my teams players some more respect to be honest.

I didn't expect you to rate him. The majority of fans cannot grasp his importance. It's fine though.

Don't expect a Chelsea fan to speak highly of an underrated player in the opposition team. i know i'm contradicting myself with that but thats the way it is. i have tons of respect for him as a player but i can't agree he's the engine running United.

I find myself awkwardly agreeing with the fact that Carrick is a sublime player and truly underrated for quite some time.

More instrumental to United's title last season than RVP imo

There is no shame in admitting to a Manchester United player being good. Way I see it is, I'd rather tell the truth than look like an idiot that has no clue what he's even talking about. A bit like if I was to go watch some American Rugby or whatever. If I don't understand what I'm watching/doing I quit pretty sharpish, or learn it... The evidence of his quality is not hard to find. We've been able to keep hold for so long because people don't understand Carrick. It's easy to put down something you don't understand rather than learn to understand it. Easy option for most is why he has no recognition.

First name on the team sheet, last few years of Fergies' reign. I'd probably bet he's the owner of most games played and time on the pitch (from our team obviously)

Don't expect a Chelsea fan to speak highly of an underrated player in the opposition team. i know i'm contradicting myself with that but thats the way it is. i have tons of respect for him as a player but i can't agree he's the engine running United.

Why not? Are you some sort of dinosaur? When did giving no credit to the opposition become life or death stuff? At least you did give him some credit there though - and I'll accept that. I only fight battles I feel i have a chance with. You can't be swayed, you just don't watch enough of him.

Agree to disagree.

Not taking a jab at you, but one must truly understand the significance of a holding midfielder's ability. Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Illarramendi, Toulalan, Yaya Toure, etc. Players that have the ability to be aware of their surroundings and to successfully lead a transition under enormous pressure, picking out the right pass and to dictate the tempo of their team's overall play. They play a significant importance to the squad, much more than the striker imo.

I will go out on a limb and actually rate Carrick among the likes of Busquets and Yaya Toure. I've been watching Carrick since West Ham and the player he has developed into has been outstanding. His composure, passing ability, awareness, and movement off the ball is sheer class and there is no other in England who can match his quality in that aspect. He has been bar none United's best and most consistent player and to truly understand the role he is in and to actually watch him week in week out, you will realize just how much quality he has.

Criminally underrated player

Not taking a jab at you, but one must truly understand the significance of a holding midfielder's ability. Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Illarramendi, Toulalan, Yaya Toure, etc. Players that have the ability to be aware of their surroundings and to successfully lead a transition under enormous pressure, picking out the right pass and to dictate the tempo of their team's overall play. They play a significant importance to the squad, much more than the striker imo.

I will go out on a limb and actually rate Carrick among the likes of Busquets and Yaya Toure. I've been watching Carrick since West Ham and the player he has developed into has been outstanding. His composure, passing ability, awareness, and movement off the ball is sheer class and there is no other in England who can match his quality in that aspect. He has been bar none United's best and most consistent player and to truly understand the role he is in and to actually watch him week in week out, you will realize just how much quality he has.

Yikes, your insight is actually a bit scary to me :blink:

There is no shame in admitting to a Manchester United player being good. Way I see it is, I'd rather tell the truth than look like an idiot that has no clue what he's even talking about. A bit like if I was to go watch some American Rugby or whatever. If I don't understand what I'm watching/doing I quit pretty sharpish, or learn it... The evidence of his quality is not hard to find. We've been able to keep hold for so long because people don't understand Carrick. It's easy to put down something you don't understand rather than learn to understand it. Easy option for most is why he has no recognition.

First name on the team sheet, last few years of Fergies' reign. I'd probably bet he's the owner of most games played and time on the pitch (from our team obviously)

Why not? Are you some sort of dinosaur? When did giving no credit to the opposition become life or death stuff? At least you did give him some credit there though - and I'll accept that. I only fight battles I feel i have a chance with. You can't be swayed, you just don't watch enough of him.

Agree to disagree.

Suit yourself

Respect, son! Respect.