News and Match Previews Coordination Thread

CHOULO19

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just know that Jason should never do it again :P

I don't mind writing 100 words or 1000 as long as I have time

I totally agree, but isnt that exactly the problem (finding time to write)? :lol:

I just know that Jason should never do it again :P

I don't mind writing 100 words or 1000 as long as I have time

Wouldn't mind it, no. I'm okay with the current layout as well though. Like Barbara said, it's more about having time for me.

This.

I totally agree, but isnt that exactly the problem (finding time to write)? :lol:

So, I take it you all agree with the change to the preview format?

This.

So, I take it you all agree with the change to the preview format?

actually we're saying if we have time we can write as we've been doing, the problem is not having time to write at all. At least that's what I personally meant.

I quite like the preview as it is, I wouldn't mind a more condensed thing. I particularly love Skipper's in detail previews

actually we're saying if we have time we can write as we've been doing, the problem is not having time to write at all. At least that's what I personally meant.

I quite like the preview as it is, I wouldn't mind a more condensed thing. I particularly love Skipper's in detail previews

Yes, I know what you are saying and it's because of that problem that I'm suggesting a change to the format because the workload and time needed to write the preview will be reduced. And Skipper can still give the details that he usually does in his previews in a separate article. Would help to garner extra views/traffic to the site too. ;)

I think what Jason is saying is that you might not have an hour to write the current preview format but you'll more likely have 20 minutes to write the preview with the new format. Hence if we make it more condensed people are more likely to have the time to do it.

I think what Jason is saying is that you might not have an hour to write the current preview format but you'll more likely have 20 minutes to write the preview with the new format. Hence if we make it more condensed people are more likely to have the time to do it.

but what takes more time is researching, not simply writing a non-factor about an upcoming match.

The amount of words written isn't the problem, but we don't simply give our opinion in 3-4 paragraphs about a fixture. We have to make research to do it, especially about the opposition. If a match review doesn't cover teams news, record, and some match facts (not all of them, but at least a few) it's pointless imo and those things demand time. Writing them down doesn't take much.

I understood perfectly what he's saying, I just don't think that it'll solve the problem. Whoever doesn't have time for them will continue not to have, even if you can write it faster, you still have to make research. If it's only an opinion, then I don't see much of a point of doing it.

but what takes more time is researching, not simply writing a non-factor about an upcoming match.

The amount of words written isn't the problem, but we don't simply give our opinion in 3-4 paragraphs about a fixture. We have to make research to do it, especially about the opposition. If a match review doesn't cover teams news, record, and some match facts (not all of them, but at least a few) it's pointless imo and those things demand time. Writing them down doesn't take much.

I understood perfectly what he's saying, I just think that it'll solve the problem. Whoever doesn't have time for them will continue not to have, even if you can write it faster, you still have to make research. If it's only an opinion, then I don't see much of a point of doing it.

Erm, this new format doesn't necessarily require research. It will only be needed if your thoughts require it. Otherwise, it can be something that just comes straight off your mind. Have you seen the example of it in the Guardian link I posted above? Scouting reports about the opposition can be added into, if someone wants to do it, or be put in a different article altogether, like how hjperdeath does with his. Like I said though, all you need to do is provide a talking point in this preview and I'll do the rest in terms of adding the team news, match facts, coverage etc into it.

Erm, this new format doesn't necessarily require research. It will only be needed if your thoughts require it. Otherwise, it can be something that just comes straight off your mind. Have you seen the example of it in the Guardian link I posted above? Scouting reports about the opposition can be added into, if someone wants to do it, or be put in a different article altogether, like how hjperdeath does with his. Like I said though, all you need to do is provide a talking point in this preview and I'll do the rest in terms of adding the team news, match facts, coverage etc into it.

exactly that, Jason

It's only an opinion where I can write whatever I want about a match. I hardly consider that a proper match preview. There was missing a 'don't' in my previous post that maybe made you have a different idea. If I write a bunch of words about the main headlines before a match after the third or fourth nobody will even bother to click the link because it seems pointless imo. Everyone here and people who only access the main site have an idea about a few things prior to the match, writing only those in a paragraph with more than an opinion than an objective article won't attract much readers - which I think is the goal. The Guardian link makes sense because it's a summary about many matches, with some catchy things. I'm not sure many waste their time reading that. I read The Guardian quite often and I've never bothered to click on that link, for example. Although that's only me we should really think if we're going to make something just for the sake of doing it or do something that really matters. I don't think a match preview like that really matters, I don't believe it'll be have the clicks Jim wants and while it makes our job easier, it also makes it less worth imo. I'd rather not write at all than write a bunch of things that state little more than my opinion and a couple of headlines everyone knows about.

If you're going to add the match facts - this part I've missed from the previous post - it isn't that bad, but far from ideal. It's not a coincidence Thomas' previews are the most visited and liked posts. People want to read interesting things, not all of the same that they already read everywhere else. But that's just my opinion - even if not a casual one. I know what I'm talking about, I'm majored in communication, I'm editor to one of the biggest Chelsea news websites out of England and I can tell you, nobody stops to read something like that after the third or fourth case and the moment two different people are writing an article, one with the opinion part and the other with the technical, it lacks the compelling aspect of it being a whole. Why do you think Alex's post-match articles are so popular? They're well written and insightful. If they're boring, people will stop caring about them. Do a test and come talk to me six months later with the visits numbers for what you're proposing. I'd be really surprised if it doesn't drop considerably. Unless what you have in mind is completely different of what I'm envisioning.

Either way, if we're doing it just for the sake of having it, go ahead, if the goal here is to increase the clicks in the main site it'll backfire completely. Up to you, Jim or whoever makes the decision to tell what it's supposed to be.

exactly that, Jason

It's only an opinion where I can write whatever I want about a match. I hardly consider that a proper match preview. There was missing a 'don't' in my previous post that maybe made you have a different idea. If I write a bunch of words about the main headlines before a match after the third or fourth nobody will even bother to click the link because it seems pointless imo. Everyone here and people who only access the main site have an idea about a few things prior to the match, writing only those in a paragraph with more than an opinion than an objective article won't attract much readers - which I think is the goal. The Guardian link makes sense because it's a summary about many matches, with some catchy things. I'm not sure many waste their time reading that. I read The Guardian quite often and I've never bothered to click on that link, for example. Although that's only me we should really think if we're going to make something just for the sake of doing it or do something that really matters. I don't think a match preview like that really matters, I don't believe it'll be have the clicks Jim wants and while it makes our job easier, it also makes it less worth imo. I'd rather not write at all than write a bunch of things that state little more than my opinion and a couple of headlines everyone knows about.

If you're going to add the match facts - this part I've missed from the previous post - it isn't that bad, but far from ideal. It's not a coincidence Thomas' previews are the most visited and liked posts. People want to read interesting things, not all of the same that they already read everywhere else. But that's just my opinion - even if not a casual one. I know what I'm talking about, I'm majored in communication, I'm editor to one of the biggest Chelsea news websites out of England and I can tell you, nobody stops to read something like that after the third or fourth case and the moment two different people are writing an article, one with the opinion part and the other with the technical, it lacks the compelling aspect of it being a whole. Why do you think Alex's post-match articles are so popular? They're well written and insightful. If they're boring, people will stop caring about them. Do a test and come talk to me six months later with the visits numbers for what you're proposing. I'd be really surprised if it doesn't drop considerably. Unless what you have in mind is completely different of what I'm envisioning.

Either way, if we're doing it just for the sake of having it, go ahead, if the goal here is to increase the clicks in the main site it'll backfire completely. Up to you, Jim or whoever makes the decision to tell what it's supposed to be.

Okay. I don't know if it's just me or what but not sure why the tone has suddenly got a bit serious when I'm only proposing a change to the format to begin with.

I get what you're saying with Barbara and to make it clear, I'm only proposing this change because we have not always been free to do match previews consistently this season. As it's obvious, there have been numerous times we had to skip it because everyone have been busy with their commitments in life. Hence, I'm just suggesting this so that we can get a preview up for every game and make it easier for everyone involved. All those things I mentioned about gaining more visits, clicks etc are basically just the side benefits, if you can call it that. They were never in my original thoughts to begin with.

Moreover, I'm not sure who this change in format will differ too much from the current one. As it is, whoever writes up the one will provide a narrative to the game and it will be much like these pointers preview. In fact, the change will probably open more avenues for discussion as several members make their points about the game. It's just like how we all go into pre-match threads and speak our mind about certain things regarding the game - manager's decision, players or team's form/performance, what needs to be done etc - except these things go into the preview instead. Yes, some may be aware of the points pointed out but not all and even when we all mention these points in the match thread, it still generates discussion for people to agree and disagree. After all, we all may have a big picture of 'Key Event A' (for instance) heading into the game but the understanding or the way it is seen can differ from one person to another

Moreover, this change is hardly a case of more than one people writing the article but rather, it will be a compilation of thoughts/points from different fans on the game it self and then the 'editor' will just add in those match info as it is without trying to be fanciful or anything with the writing. Using the Liverpool game today as an example for this format am proposing:

1. All eyes on Mourinho's team selection

Insert thoughts/views here. (by 'member X')

2. Chelsea have the know-how in big games

Insert thoughts/views here. (by 'member Y')

3. Stifling Liverpool's attack

Insert thoughts/views here. (by 'member Z')

You may not like the change but others may find more interesting to read a preview with different thoughts. After all, the current match preview style is fine as I even mentioned it before but even you said, only Thomas' preview seems to be getting read/liked more (no offence to others).

However, don't get me wrong on this though. Am not forcing you or others to accept this format change at all as I'm only providing counter-arguments here and trying to suggest ideas and see if we can work around this mini-issue and/or produce a better match preview system going. :)

However, don't get me wrong on this though. Am not forcing you or others to accept this format change at all as I'm only providing counter-arguments here and trying to suggest ideas and see if we can work around this mini-issue and/or produce a better match preview system going. :)

i'm sorry. missed out on the first leg but i'm free now and can do the preview for the second leg game, if nobody is already doing it?

think i posted. not sure

Yeah you have, but I'm sorry I have an exam in a couple of hours and I just don't have time to put it put it on the main site right now. Was hoping someone else would.

I'll approve it for so it can be see here on the forum, but @, you're gonna have to promote it to the main site please.

Yeah you have, but I'm sorry I have an exam in a couple of hours and I just don't have time to put it put it on the main site right now. Was hoping someone else would.

I'll approve it for so it can be see here on the forum, but @, you're gonna have to promote it to the main site please.

No worries, I'll do it. I didn't approve/promote earlier because it was still early.

And good luck in your exams.

No worries, I'll do it. I didn't approve/promote earlier because it was still early.

And good luck in your exams.

who added the last bit? i forgot to add them. thanks