Why we should go for Burak Yilmaz and not Wayne Rooney

Tomo

1. Wages

Ill start with the big one early, Rooney will command astronomical wages, we would have to pay him wages in the region of 220k, a move that will also see John Terry get paid the same amount due to the clause in his contract that he will match the highest paid earner.

Yilmaz however will be on mild wages in comparison and will be easier to shift if it does all go wrong.

2. Hunger

Rooney looks like he has lost motivation and yes it is easy to say this move would re-energize him but that was the same thing that was said about Torres, he is bored, he needs a new challenge bla bla. When you lose motivation for your job it's hard to just switch the light back on, even if you want too.

Yilmaz on the other hand is on the back off 2 (arguably 3) incredible season's will probably relish the chance to come to Stamford Bridge and show the whole of Europe what he is truly about.

3. Attitude

Rooney has been throwing a strop for the last year about RVP being the new main man at the club, so say Rooney flops and Lukaku is on fire, Rooney is on the bench and it will be like Torres again (sulking because he is not playing even tho he is lucky to even be on the bench) which will most likely mean we will have to go through the same shit United are right now.

Yilmaz will most likely accept that he has competition for his place instead of assuming it as a god given right.

4. Late bloomer doesn't mean crap

Yilmaz had his first great season at the age of 25, Drogba has his first great season at the age of 24. Im not for one second saying Yilmaz will become as good as Drogba, but just because it takes a while to truly establish yourself doesn't mean your not any good. Yilmaz is one of the most inform forwards in Europe and has been for some time.

It's not like he has had one great season, he has had 3.

Rooney was an earlier bloomer and has early burn out written all over him, Yilmaz will be eager for the step up and to truly make his name.

5. His record is amazing and in a very strong European League.

No doubt i will get hit in the responses below that he is "only doing it in the Turkish League", now the Turkish league is not the Hungarian 4th division (no disrespect to that league) it is a strong European league (arguably the best after the top 4) and Yilmaz has been walking all over it for a while now.

In Europe their is the big four league's that are the top 4 undebatably, then after that it is between three for 5th place, Turkish, French and Portuguese. Despite the influx of PSG and Monaco in the French league, the Turkish can still make a case for their league being the best of the rest (outside the big four).

87 goals in 109 games over 3 season's is a bloody good record.

Rooney may well be PL proven, but so was Torres and so was Wright Phillips. Signing a PL proven player has just as much risk involved than signing a player that's never played in it, as we should know as much as anyone.

Im not saying Yilmaz will 100% be a success, but on wages alone i would rather take a punt on him than sign what i think is a past it Rooney.

Click here to view article.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Wages

Ill start with the big one early, Rooney will command astronomical wages, we would have to pay him wages in the region of 220k, a move that will also see John Terry get paid the same amount due to the clause in his contract that he will match the highest paid earner.

Yilmaz however will be on mild wages in comparison and will be easier to shift if it does all go wrong.

2. Hunger

Rooney looks like he has lost motivation and yes it is easy to say this move would re-energize him but that was the same thing that was said about Torres, he is bored, he needs a new challenge bla bla. When you lose motivation for your job it's hard to just switch the light back on, even if you want too.

Yilmaz on the other hand is on the back off 2 (arguably 3) incredible season's will probably relish the chance to come to Stamford Bridge and show the whole of Europe what he is truly about.

3. Attitude

Rooney has been throwing a strop for the last year about RVP being the new main man at the club, so say Rooney flops and Lukaku is on fire, Rooney is on the bench and it will be like Torres again (sulking because he is not playing even tho he is lucky to even be on the bench) which will most likely mean we will have to go through the same shit United are right now.

Yilmaz will most likely accept that he has competition for his place instead of assuming it as a god given right.

4. Late bloomer doesn't mean crap

Yilmaz had his first great season at the age of 25, Drogba has his first great season at the age of 24. Im not for one second saying Yilmaz will become as good as Drogba, but just because it takes a while to truly establish yourself doesn't mean your not any good. Yilmaz is one of the most inform forwards in Europe and has been for some time.

It's not like he has had one great season, he has had 3.

Rooney was an earlier bloomer and has early burn out written all over him, Yilmaz will be eager for the step up and to truly make his name.

5. His record is amazing and in a very strong European League.

No doubt i will get hit in the responses below that he is "only doing it in the Turkish League", now the Turkish league is not the Hungarian 4th division (no disrespect to that league) it is a strong European league (arguably the best after the top 4) and Yilmaz has been walking all over it for a while now.

In Europe their is the big four league's that are the top 4 undebatably, then after that it is between three for 5th place, Turkish, French and Portuguese. Despite the influx of PSG and Monaco in the French league, the Turkish can still make a case for their league being the best of the rest (outside the big four).

87 goals in 109 games over 3 season's is a bloody good record.

Rooney may well be PL proven, but so was Torres and so was Wright Phillips. Signing a PL proven player has just as much risk involved than signing a player that's never played in it, as we should know as much as anyone.

Im not saying Yilmaz will 100% be a success, but on wages alone i would rather take a punt on him than sign what i think is a past it Rooney.

Click here to view article.

I have to disagree with some points. Firstly since when was the Turkish league the best after the top 4? The Turkish league is effectively a more exotic SPL, after Galatasary and Fenerbache the standard is abysmal. The English, Spanish, German, French, Russian, Portuguese, Dutch and Italian leagues are all better than the Turkish league.

Also there was a difference with SWP and what Rooney could be. SWP was used sparingly when he was at the club, his price was ridiculous but he wasn't exactly the worst signing we've ever made. Rooney has been a phenomenal player the last 10 years or whatever his career has been, nobody can deny that. SWP was average but Rooney is something else.

Yilmaz has had a few great seasons but hes playing in the Turkish league, so you cannot say hes going to score 80 something goals in 3 PL seasons. He was prolific in Europe with Galatasary, scored 8 goals but thats a one off I'd say. Hes not spectacular, hes not going to have a similar impact to what Rooney will.

Why does everyone seem to think if Rooney came he'd demand 1st place even if he was playing shit? he knows how football works, if your playing shit, your on the bench and if your playing well you play games. If Lukaku was out performing him he'd be playing and Rooney would have to accept that.

The wages issue I partly agree on, even though their is no proof Rooney is on 250k p/w, just shitty stories the media write. If you believe half of those then JT and Lampard are on 200k p/w.... Rooney is probably on something like 150k or 175k would hardly bet hes making over 200k at United. He'd be the highest paid player in the country by a mile...

You can't say Rooney's past it because hes been re-positioned for the last 2 years. Hes been playing as a #10 since Hernandez arrived in 2011. Hes also annoyed because Moyes effectively called him a squad player the other day.... it looks more likely Mourinho will go for Rooney over Yilmaz and if he did say go for Yilmaz over Rooney, I'd be extremely pissed off as Rooney is much much better.

Honestly, I think you're missing the whole point: We're not after Rooney because we are desperate for a striker, we are after him because he's Wayne Rooney.

Why?

- Well first, the obvious reason: He is a top player. With all the criticism aimed from some people at Rooney these days (Lazy, 'has-been', on the decline...etc), you'd think he's worse than Heskey. But it is an undeniable fact that Rooney has continued to perform and deliver (in terms of goals and assists) over the years at all the various positions that Ferguson has throw him in. Claims that Rooney is not a top player are borderline delusional, imho.

- Secondly, and why Jose thinks that Rooney could fit in our squad is that Wayne is very versatile. He can play anywhere across midfield and attack (except DM obviously). Anywhere he is played, he always offers exceptional work-rate and unmatched defensive cover among strikers. When played as a second striker, he practically allowed united to play with both two strikers and 5 players in midfield. Rooney basically gives Jose the option he was talking about of playing with two strikers as a "plan B" while also being great first choice striker and providing cover and depth at several positions. Very few footballers can offer what Wayne Rooney does.

- Away from footballing reasons, Wayne Rooney is one of the most marketable footballers in the world. He has tons of fans in the UK and outside and will only increase the club's fame and sell A LOT of shirts.

- Onto the, imo, more important reason. Signing Rooney would weaken united. He is arguably their best and most important player. Taking him away from united enhances our chances and wins us the first battle in the title race before the season has even started.

- Our bid for Rooney has put Moyes, who has not even had time to settle in, in a tight spot. Moyes' start at united will be crucial for their title hopes. Jose knows that; and with this bid, regardless of the outcome, Moyes will fail his first real test and will already have HUGE pressure on him by the fans even before the actual football starts. He's already failed to land all of united's targets in the transfer market, and now he will either lose one of his best players and a club icon or he will have an unhappy 220k/wk striker who he practically called second best and surplus to requirements at united....Advantage Mourinho.

So for the reasons above, I won't even discuss Yilmaz, simply because he is not an option. Like Jose said: "Either Rooney, or bust". If we can get him, it would be a great a deal for the club and a huge boost to our title challenge. If not, our squad is more than ready for the new season and Jose has already struck the first psychological blow to united.

A minor note about the Rooney to Torres comparison. I find it completely baseless and illogical. Torres built a career as a striker based on his pace and finishing alone. He relied on his speed to beat defenders and finishing to score goals. He brought nothing else to the team. He lost his pace due to the knee injury and as a result lost his confidence and with it his ability to finish and thus had nothing more to offer for his team. Rooney on the other hand is an all-around player. He can obviously score, but he can also assist, link-up, create, press and defend. Rooney has amazing stamina and work-rate, but he also has great technical ability, tactical understanding and discipline and excellent footballing IQ. That does not all go away over night.

Rather than being a Torres 2.0, I think Rooney will be RVP 2.0

edit: Tomo, you make a good case for Yilmaz but the last point about English experience

this point will never go Yilmaz's way. 2 contradicting examples - Torres and SWP - can't swing this one away from Rooney

Signing a PL-proven player is far safer/better than signing a good player from an inferior league

I'd have liked to see a bit more balanced argument Tomo, while I don't want Rooney either you could still mention why Rooney would also be better than Yilmaz too and then conclude it with why you're stance is more in favor of Yilmaz. Just my 2 cents.

I have to disagree with some points. Firstly since when was the Turkish league the best after the top 4? The Turkish league is effectively a more exotic SPL, after Galatasary and Fenerbache the standard is abysmal. The English, Spanish, German, French, Russian, Portuguese, Dutch and Italian leagues are all better than the Turkish league.

The Portuguese league has been a two horse race since aslong as i can remember. Galatasaray finished 8th as recently as 2011 with Bursaspor winning it the season before, that's the equivalent of Braga winning the PL with Porto finishing 8th the following season,willthat ever happen? no chance.

Why does everyone seem to think if Rooney came he'd demand 1st place even if he was playing shit? he knows how football works, if your playing shit, your on the bench and if your playing well you play games. If Lukaku was out performing him he'd be playing and Rooney would have to accept that.

For 2 reason's.

1. He did last season. 2. If Torres successfully done it he will more than fancy his chances.

No he was confused as to why he was left out of the bigger games. Not every game, the bigger ones (ie. the Madrid game in the CL).

He was left out of the 2nd leg because he looked lost in The Bernanbeu, completely out of his depth.

Like Jose said: "Either Rooney, or bust".

You really think that he would say that if it was the truth (putting United in a strong negotiating position with all our eggs in one basket).Jose isn't Harry Redknapp, he won't reveal behind the scenes stuff unless it's bullshit or he has an ulterior motive.

I'd rather us sign no striker than Yilmaz. No disrespect to Yilmaz but he isn't even any better than Torres or Ba in my opinion.

Torres and Ba would kill the Turkish league as well.

Hakan Sukar in his prime was better than both Torres and Ba currently, and his goal record in that league (which isn't as strong as today) doesn't touch the sides comparedto Yilmaz.

You really think that he would say that if it was the truth (putting United in a strong negotiating position with all our eggs in one basket).Jose isn't Harry Redknapp, he won't reveal behind the scenes stuff unless it's bullshit or he has an ulterior motive.

What's the motivation for him to lie? Like you said, it weakens our negotiating position for Rooney. If the truth is that we are in for other players then he really should have said that. Jose has been completely honest since arriving here. He said he'd only make 2-3 signings and he has. He talked about FFP and that we won't spend silly money and we haven't.

I believe it's true because it makes a lot of sense and is in total coherence with everything Jose has been saying since arriving. Jose wants to play 4-2-3-1 with inverted wingers and a deep number 10 (so more of a 4-3-3, really). He practically said so since arriving. He's also said that he thinks our squad is ready, on many occasions and I fully agree with him. If we can get Rooney, it would be a good deal since he is great player who is very versatile; he can offer something different than what we have; give us an extra option. If not, then our current squad is enough for next season.

It wasn't a surprise that Jose said on Wednseday that it's either Rooney or bust because he's been saying a lot of stuff along the same lines since arriving. We might sign a youngster and send him on loan like Bruma for example, but unless we come across a great transfer opportunity, I doubt we'll be trying to add anyone to our team bar Rooney.

The Portuguese league has been a two horse race since aslong as i can remember. Galatasaray finished 8th as recently as 2011 with Bursaspor winning it the season before, that's the equivalent of Braga winning the PL with Porto finishing 8th the following season,willthat ever happen? no chance.

For 2 reason's.

1. He did last season. 2. If Torres successfully done it he will more than fancy his chances.

He was left out of the 2nd leg because he looked lost in The Bernanbeu, completely out of his depth.

Hakan Sukar in his prime was better than both Torres and Ba currently, and his goal record in that league (which isn't as strong as today) doesn't touch the sides comparedto Yilmaz.

Hardly. If you think the Turkish league isn't a 2 horse race you've not been watching it. As I've said its the Turkish SPL. So what if Bursaspor one in once in like 135939593 years. Its the same with the SPL, Hearts split the Old Firm once....

As for your other point I'm not going to bother replying.

Hardly. If you think the Turkish league isn't a 2 horse race you've not been watching it. As I've said its the Turkish SPL. So what if Bursaspor one in once in like 135939593 years. Its the same with the SPL, Hearts split the Old Firm once....

As for your other point I'm not going to bother replying.

Truth hurt? Rooney was dropped for the return match because he was stupidly out of his depth at the Bernaubeu. He didn't make a single positive impact in the game and was rightly on the bench for the return.

There's been 4 Champions of the Turkish League in 20 years, 1 less than the so called invincible PL where players have to play in to prove their footballers,2 more than the SPL and equal to the Portuguese. Maybe one day Neymar will come to the PL to prove he is better than Stuart Downing.

• one good season does not mean he is as good as rooney. have we not learned anything from BA. he was phenomenol in newcastle but has barely been good for us. yilmaz will be a similar signing...

Its not one good season tho is it.

Maybe one day Neymar will come to the PL to prove he is better than Stuart Downing.

Yilmaz is hardly Neymar and Rooney is hardly Downing though.

Contradictions prove nothing. For every Torres/SWP that didn't work, there is a Aquilani/Shevchencko. Anyone with PL experience will know the pace/style of the game here and takes less adapting. Signing a PL-proven player doesn't involve as much risk as signing a good player from Turkey

I'd rather us sign no striker than Yilmaz. No disrespect to Yilmaz but he isn't even any better than Torres or Ba in my opinion.

Torres and Ba would kill the Turkish league as well.

he killed the champions league as well as the Turkish league though.

he killed the champions league as well as the Turkish league though.

Apart from United and Madrid, whom he scored 1 goal (against a weakened United side) in 4 games against, the opponents Galatasaray faced in the CL weren't spectacular. No disrespect against Cluj, Braga or Schalke. I don't think he's any better than Torres or Ba sorry.