Sidzeret

I think it's their attitude that is affiliated with Punk, not their music.

Yeah. I know there's that whole generation pop bands trying to be more edgy like good charlotte, yellowcard, blink 182, etc.... I'm just a very adamant punk purist. I think that might be why it bothers me so much. I remember listening to 70s, 80s, and 90s punk when I was in middle school and high school and being the only one listening to it. I still even to this day listen to punk records several times a week. I guess when they got big and everyone got into it I got really upset because its just so watered down compared to the music I love and protect and made the genre as a whole look weak and boring.

more like pop punk

I understand the argument that they are pop punk. But I still don't like using that for them. I like pop punk for stuff like The Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Home Grown, or even Groovie Ghoulies. It's STILL legit punk. It just has a more upbeat/fun feeling at times compared to the more serious or more social/political aimed stuff.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I know there's that whole generation pop bands trying to be more edgy like good charlotte, yellowcard, blink 182, etc.... I'm just a very adamant punk purist. I think that might be why it bothers me so much. I remember listening to 70s, 80s, and 90s punk when I was in middle school and high school and being the only one listening to it. I still even to this day listen to punk records several times a week. I guess when they got big and everyone got into it I got really upset because its just so watered down compared to the music I love and protect and made the genre as a whole look weak and boring.

I understand the argument that they are pop punk. But I still don't like using that for them. I like pop punk for stuff like The Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Home Grown, or even Groovie Ghoulies. It's STILL legit punk. It just has a more upbeat/fun feeling at times compared to the more serious or more social/political aimed stuff.

I also listen to The Ramones and sees a lot of similarities between them and Blink....I wouldn't label Ramones a pure punk, more like a way to pop punk.

Agree to disagree

Well if you want to be a punk purist, you can go as far as picking out a dozen bands and saying that only they were punk. You can probably also say that punk died in the early 80s and there hasn't been any genuine punk bands since. In terms of type music alone, Rise Against, or Refused or even Green Day are not pure punk. We were having a similar discussion in the Punk thread the other day, and I think that the cultural effect that punk had on western societies is so much more important to the definition of punk than the brand of music it introduced. In that sense, attitude can be more punk than music.

Well if you want to be a punk purist, you can go as far as picking out a dozen bands and saying that only they were punk. You can probably also say that punk died in the early 80s and there hasn't been any genuine punk bands since. In terms of type music alone, Rise Against, or Refused or even Green Day are not pure punk. We were having a similar discussion in the Punk thread the other day, and I think that the cultural effect that punk had on western societies is so much more important to the definition of punk than the brand of music it introduced. In that sense, attitude can be more punk than music.

It's not even so much about snobbery or being an overpurist. I consider a lot of what was coming out in the 90s to even today to be punk rock. It's just mislabeling. Green Day actually was a punk band in the 80s and then they decided to go a more pop/rock direction. That's fine with me, i'm not going to sit around and curse Green Day. I'm not going to listen to them on purpose by any means, but I'll take them any day over a lot of what's on the radio. Refused are great and just tried a different direction of punk which sadly didn't go over well with some people or last very long. But thankfully they've gained a stronger following since their break up. Mislabeling drives me crazy with a lot of stuff. It's like people that would call Jay Z, Snoop Dog/Lion, Ludacris, or Slim Thug hip hop. They are all wildly successful rappers and I enjoy all of their rap, especially Slim Thug. But none of them should under any circumstance be referred to as hip hop. I don't enjoy blink 182, but i'm not insulting them. i just want people to not call them something that they've little to nothing to do with. Also with Ramones I love those guys and agree completely that they would be in the pop punk segment. They are I think even the fathers of pop punk. I think without them we wouldn't have several of my favorite punk bands that are more in the pop punk segment.

It's not even so much about snobbery or being an overpurist. I consider a lot of what was coming out in the 90s to even today to be punk rock. It's just mislabeling. Green Day actually was a punk band in the 80s and then they decided to go a more pop/rock direction. That's fine with me, i'm not going to sit around and curse Green Day. I'm not going to listen to them on purpose by any means, but I'll take them any day over a lot of what's on the radio. Refused are great and just tried a different direction of punk which sadly didn't go over well with some people or last very long. But thankfully they've gained a stronger following since their break up. Mislabeling drives me crazy with a lot of stuff. It's like people that would call Jay Z, Snoop Dog/Lion, Ludacris, or Slim Thug hip hop. They are all wildly successful rappers and I enjoy all of their rap, especially Slim Thug. But none of them should under any circumstance be referred to as hip hop. I don't enjoy blink 182, but i'm not insulting them. i just want people to not call them something that they've little to nothing to do with. Also with Ramones I love those guys and agree completely that they would be in the pop punk segment. They are I think even the fathers of pop punk. I think without them we wouldn't have several of my favorite punk bands that are more in the pop punk segment.

I actually enjoyed Green day after their 80s era.

I remember Basket Case to be my first green day song. But i'd rather prefer Jesus of Suburbia over that sorto music any day which was made after their transition to the so-called pop punk. Well, thats just me. Maybe i appreciate pop punk more.

Any-fucking- way, all these are miles better than the shit we have now. ( i can't believe i even enjoy that now)

• 2 months later...