Izzy Brown

coolhead23

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Leeds United on cusp of sealing loan deal for Chelsea midfielder Izzy Brown as fans track him down at airport

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6114519/Leeds-United-cusp-sealing-loan-deal-Chelsea-midfielder-Izzy-Brown.html

do we have the world record for the most loans ? surely shirley

• 3 months later...

Izzy Brown injury update issued by Leeds United

The attacker went off injured this afternoon

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-izzy-brown-update-15564330

Leeds United have given us an update about Izzy Brown’s condition after the attacker went off injuredduring this afternoon’s under-23s match.

Brown, 21, on-loan from Chelsea, went off injured during the 2-0 defeat against Barnsley at Thorp Arch.

The bigger concern for many will have been Brown, who is returning from a serious knee injury, coming off injured.

During the match, Brown played with a heavily strapped left hamstring and went off in the first half as a precaution. Furthermore, there’s no suggestion he’s experienced an injury to his knee.

The attacker's hamstring will soon be assessed by Leeds United medical staff with an update expected in the next 24 hours.

Brown has been out injured since January and signed for the Whites still recovering. It is hoped he’d soon be ready to make his first appearance for Leeds United’s first team.

snip

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So we loan him out - in the hope of him getting the regular experience he needs to better himself - to hopefully benefit us or himself so maybe we can sell him and make money to hopefully buy new players to strengthen the 1st team.

But what he does is play for some other development team at a lower level.

We really need to look at our academy and work out exactly what its purpose is.

Is it for the benefit of the player , to make money from their sales or to use in the 1st team?

We need to create a proper structure for them. To define some sort of path to integrate them into the 1st team. Either to train them in house, practicing,playing with them. Or send them on a 2 year loam to a trusted club where we know they will play regular. Then if they still dont reach the standard we need them to be at to come into the 1st's then we sell them.

None of this loanagoround BS. Its just plain daft/

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

So we loan him out - in the hope of him getting the regular experience he needs to better himself - to hopefully benefit us or himself so maybe we can sell him and make money to hopefully buy new players to strengthen the 1st team.

But what he does is play for some other development team at a lower level.

We really need to look at our academy and work out exactly what its purpose is.

Is it for the benefit of the player , to make money from their sales or to use in the 1st team?

We need to create a proper structure for them. To define some sort of path to integrate them into the 1st team. Either to train them in house, practicing,playing with them. Or send them on a 2 year loam to a trusted club where we know they will play regular. Then if they still dont reach the standard we need them to be at to come into the 1st's then we sell them.

None of this loanagoround BS. Its just plain daft/

Izzy has had two major injuries and lost a lot of game time because of it.

He is still getting in rhythm, but if he is to ever make it at Chelsea he will have to do it fast.

Him going on loan to Leeds never made any sense. He went there with a serious injury he was recovering from and stayed there for what around 4 months continuing his rehabilitation when he could have done that here. Weird one.

Brown looked back to best v Watford

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/03/blogs/brown-looked-back-to-best-v-watford/

He scored, making his tally eight in five games since his comeback and more importantly he was full of running and confidence – almost the opposite of his QPR cameo.

His goal was as much about his skills as the lack of them in the Watford defence, but one thing’s certain, he won’t get that sort of freedom in the Championship.

But it was his all-round game that impressed so much today, and he sprayed some monster passes around the pitch and was head and shoulders above anyone on the opposition team.

• 7 months later...

Jones: Izzy Brown is showing his Premier League quality for Luton

https://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/sport/football/hatters/jones-izzy-brown-is-showing-his-premier-league-quality-for-luton-1-9120351

Izzy Brown gets away from a challenge on Wednesday night

Hatters boss Graeme Jones believes loan signing Izzy Brown is starting to show his Premier League quality for the Hatters since arriving from Chelsea.

The midfielder started his sixth Championship game out of seven on Wednesday night, the 3-2 defeat against Fulham at Craven Cottage, setting up Dan Potts for his first goal of the season, delivering an inch-perfect free kick for the full back to glance into the net.

Brown, who was in his more advanced role once more, went on to set up a host of chances for James Collins, with stats showing he created eight opportunities in total, the highest in the division during the midweek round of fixtures.

Speaking afterwards, Jones said: "I'm delighted he wasn’t injured, he got a really bad challenge against him, so hopefully he’s okay, but Izzy in that position, it suits him.

"He’s effective, we mixed it up a little bit with him and James first half, but his contribution, off the ball as well now, I think he’s benefited from playing in a midfield three because he had to take that responsibility on board.

"Now as a number 10 it’s a bit easier, but he's never let the side down once off the ball.

"On the ball Izzy Brown's a Premier League player, so we're delighted to have him and in the form that he's in."

snip

• 9 months later...

‘Under Monk, he’ll provide a lot of assists’ – a season to shine for Izzy Brown?

https://theathletic.com/2010539/2020/08/25/izzy-brown-sheffield-wednesday-assists-monk/

Izzy-Brown-Luton-Town-Sheffield-Wednesday-scaled-e1598105205594-1024x683.jpg

Izzy Brown is used to life on the road. Now a well-established member of Chelsea’s loan army, six clubs in five years, plus a number of serious injuries, have forced the 23-year-old to grow up fast.

First Vitesse, then Rotherham, Huddersfield, Brighton, Leeds and finally Luton have all given him a temporary home to varying degrees of success.

Certain expectations and perceptions — good and bad — come with being a young Premier League player repeatedly sent on loan to the Championship. The tag of being one of Chelsea’s pampered academy kids sometimes weighs heavy but as he joins up with Sheffield Wednesday for his seventh loan spell, Brown will finally hope to shake off that familiar preconception.

The stakes for success this season, for Brown and for Wednesday, have never been higher. As Garry Monk’s side prepare to start the campaign on a negative points tally, the attacking midfielder could be approaching a crossroads in his career.

Brown has one year left to run on the four-year deal he signed in 2017 before joining Brighton & Hove Albion on loan, but he is not certain to be a free agent in the summer of 2021; sources have told The Athletic that there is an option to extend his stay at Stamford Bridge for a further year, though no talks between the club and the player’s representatives have yet taken place.

Committing to a team that will start the season in a fairly dire position is a bold move but then there are great rewards to be had with great risks.

“The manager said that this is the season where I kick-start my career again,” Brown said on signing for Wednesday. “I’ve had my injuries in the past and he said this is the season I can prove how good a player I am, that I can go out and prove what I’m really capable of. I’m excited that he’s got the belief in me that I can get back to what I was before and even better.”

Rebuilding his career in the wake of an ACL injury sustained while he was at Brighton for the 2017-18 season has been a slow process. Rehab was gruelling after months where the creative midfielder was unable to move his leg, relying on his partner to help him shower and get up and down stairs at home. Recovery from two operations required heavy painkillers, which brought mood swings but, slowly, Brown made his way back to fitness to seal a loan to Leeds the following season.

“People will always say about his injuries but I think that’s because of how committed he is as a player,” Brown’s former Huddersfield team-mate Mark Hudson tells The Athletic. “He is always in positions to take knocks because he’s creative and always forward-thinking and people try to knock those sorts of players down.

“His stats last year showed that until his injury (a hamstring injury sustained while on loan with Luton), he was one of the most creative players in the league and he added assists and goals along the way as well.

“He was a great kid and a big part of helping us where we needed to get to in the Premier League. He’s gone out and got lots of experience. He’s happy to put himself in uncomfortable environments and he’s not just gone out and played the easy game. He has gone out and learned his trade and played for different managers under different styles.”

Wednesday fans will be familiar with Brown’s impact while on loan at Huddersfield, which came before his devastating ACL injury, as part of the team that knocked Carlos Carvalhal’s side out of the play-offs in 2017. He bagged five goals and one assist for Huddersfield, and three goals and five assists for Rotherham in a combined total of 41 games across 2016-17, in what was almost certainly the best season of Brown’s career so far.

Each move since that initial first loan to Vitesse, which “scared” Brown as he moved abroad at the age of 18, has been his own decision — for better or worse.

Brown’s decision to join Chelsea as a 16-year-old in 2013 was not without controversy as he left West Brom in what eventually became a £1 million deal after the two clubs went to a tribunal. While some would question whether that decision was worth it now that Brown has spent the majority of his time as a Chelsea player on loan, having played just 11 minutes of senior football in the season that Jose Mourinho’s side won the Premier League in 2015, it’s not something the midfielder regrets.

“I was at Chelsea before I went to West Brom, at the age of 12,” he told The Athletic earlier this year. “I chose to sign for West Brom over Chelsea. When the chance came to return, I couldn’t say no. Sometimes you look back and go, ‘Should I have joined so early? Shouldn’t I have established myself more?’ but I wouldn’t have played with the players I have or learnt from some of the best managers in the world. I don’t regret the decision at all.

“People will always have an opinion (thinking I made a mistake) but I feel any young player will want to join the club they support if the chance comes at 16. It’s tough to say no to that. I had a good relationship with people at West Brom and it was tough for me to leave but I’d turned Chelsea down once. I couldn’t do it again.”

While some of Brown’s academy cohort are now in Frank Lampard’s first team, with Tammy Abraham, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Mason Mount just some of the youngsters to break through in recent seasons, it remains to be seen whether the former West Brom man will get another chance at Chelsea.

Last season’s loan at Luton Town saw Brown created the most chances per minute of any player in the Championship over the course of 2019-20 and brought rewards in the form of individual praise and the team’s survival from relegation.

That came after a frustrating season on loan at Leeds which didn’t work out as Brown only played 11 minutes of first-team football. Still recovering from his ACL injury when he signed, Leeds gave him time with their under-23s and he regained fitness but the bigger problem was impressing Marcelo Bielsa, who was never quite convinced by the player’s levels in training and as such, was reluctant to give him game time.

Luton was a better fit for Brown, who found confidence with the support of then-Town boss Graeme Jones as doubts crept in about whether he could return to his past levels in the wake of his ACL and subsequent hamstring injuries. But meditation and the guidance of Chelsea’s technical coach for loan players, former striker Tore Andre Flo, were a big help.

“Tore messaged me during the week; watched a lot of my matches and came to see me every month,” Brown told The Athletic while at Luton. “We sat down in a Costa near the training ground and chatted for half an hour. He showed me clips from all the games and just tells me as it is. That’s how I like it.

“He talks about creating chances, saying, ‘This is good, you’re making the right decisions’ but then he will show me the opposite, explaining, ‘You could have been more selfish here and had a shot, rather than passing it to someone else’. I didn’t know about it when (Claude) Makelele came to see me, too.

“It gives you such a boost. I watched players like that growing up. They were my idols, so to get advice from them is special. They know what they’re talking about. They have done what you want to do, so you have to listen.”

Brown’s talent has always been clear and he is a popular figure with former coaches, who describe the midfielder as a “match-winner” who has fit in well with team-mates at all of his past clubs. Understanding how Brown works and thinks is the key to making him tick, it seems, with staff at loan clubs finding they got the most out of him by ensuring they kept a close eye on him to maintain high standards in training.

While some sources described Brown as a case of a young Premier League player who has been given “too much too soon”, the Chelsea loanee is quick to dispel that impression of himself.

“I feel like a lot of people have a perception of me that I am big time,” he told Football.London in 2019. “I am not big-time when you get to know me. I am confident and I like cars. It is just a hobby but I don’t do it to show off. People have their perception. When they really meet me, then they know.

“It is probably because I am from Chelsea. People think when you are from Chelsea, you get everything. It is true that when you are growing up at Chelsea, you get everything given to you. It is not the real world.

“When you step out in the real world is when you go out on loan. Then you really understand what football is like. I think at Chelsea, they sugarcoat it when you are young. That’s why loans are so important because you can man up. When you come in the dressing room, there’s no one there for you. They are grown men and they will tell you when you are not doing good enough.”

Brown’s early days at West Brom and the fact that he has been on loan so often have meant he has not been in the Chelsea “bubble” for too long. He now has a young family and his mum, who coached him in his early days when he played in youth teams in Peterborough, have helped to keep him grounded.

His maturity and leadership qualities — which will be welcomed in the Wednesday dressing room this season — have not gone amiss at his former clubs.

“Firstly, he’s a great kid, willing to learn, but he is a man and plays the game like a man rather than someone who is young and coming through,” says former Huddersfield defender Hudson.

“He’s not quiet — he is vocal. He demands the ball in training, he wants to be the best player on the park, get those assists and be that shining light but you can’t be like that if you are timid, especially in the Championship. If you see those loans he has had, he has made an impact in a lot of them, even if it’s just been short-term. That comes from character and he is definitely a character.”

Already in pre-season training at Wednesday’s Middlewood Road training base, Brown at least has one familiar face in former Huddersfield coach Andrew Hughes, who recently joined Monk’s coaching staff. While Hudson is confident that Brown’s outgoing nature means it won’t take long for him to settle in, he is also certain that Hughes’ supportive coaching and existing relationship with Brown will be an asset to Wednesday this season.

And if Wednesday can get Brown back to his best, then that’s certainly a prospect to get excited about.

“In a team that is well organised and forward-thinking under Monk he will provide a lot of assists because he’s so creative,” Hudson said.

“He doesn’t look for the easy pass, he likes to penetrate by driving forward and he’s a good link between the midfield and the forward line. I’m sure he’ll come and show what he is about and he’ll want to come and blend in, and be part of the group to make sure that he works hard and is in the team.

“Izzy knows what it takes to compete in this league, especially at the top part of it. There’s no shortcuts to that and he knows that.”

21 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

he realy should leave instead of going on all these loans. He isnt that bad player.

It is because of the money. He knows he hasn't got a chance of making it hear but I think he is on around £30,000 a week which is a lot of money for a player who has no future here. So if a club bought him, they would not pay him anywhere near that amount realistically and will he drop his wages for a permanent transfer? Most, certainly not. His contract ends next year, so that is when he probably will leave on free transfer.

• 2 years later...

Wasted his career really staying here and being a member of the loan army but a shame he’s had to finish early aye. He only just moved last season or the one before to Preston IIRC.

He wont be short of a few bob though for what hes actually went on to achieve, he got a biggish deal when we signed him.