Alternative Strikers

Strike

Strikers  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see Chelsea sign in attack this summer?

• Someone proven and experienced - Zlatan, Rooney or Gomez
    • Someone in their peak - Negredo, Martinez, Higuain
    • Someone with potential - Jovetic
    • Jose will get the best out of Torres
    • None. Lukaku is enough

As the footballing saying goes, Goals change games. It’s no coincidence that Chelsea’s last Premier League title came when the club had a striker in majestic form. Drogba’s 37 goals went a long way towards securing Ancelotti’s double. Since then Chelsea’s stock has plummeted in the League. Here’s the breakdown on how the strikers fared in the last 3 years

Proportion of goals scored by strikers*

2010-11 – 30/99 – 30.3% - (TopScorer – Anelka – 16)

2011-12 – 25/112 – 22.3% (TopScorer – Lampard – 16)

2012-13 – 29/147 – 19.7% (TopScorer – Torres – 22)

Comparing this with 2009-10

2009-10 – 57/142 – 40.4% (Top Scorer – Drogba – 37)

Or 2004-05 – 38%, 2005-06 – 34%

A good striker hides half the team’s problems. Manchester United make a living out of this cliché. Chelsea’s midfield and defence may pop up with their fair share of goals but an in-form striker up-front makes a big difference to the attack, especially in the bigger games which are often decided by slim margins. Fernando Torres, Chelsea’s chief striker at present, has scored only one winner i.e game-settling goal in 2 ½ years at the club. That came in the last game of the season against Everton in May.

At the start of the summer, a world-class Striker was probably at the top of every Chelsea fan’s Summer Transfer Wishlist. Various names were discussed but 3 players stood out – Falcao, Cavani and Robert Lewandowski. All 3 with an impressive goal-scoring record, good all-round attributes and at the peak of their playing years but just 1 week into the transfer window and it looks more and more likely that none of the Big Three will come here. So, with pre-season beginning in 2 days, It maybe a good time to look past the big names and into the under-belly of the Striker market.

Ten Alternative Strikers

1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic – If PSG do sign Cavani, it might be worth it to put in a cheeky bid for Zlatan

2. Wayne Rooney - Ignore personality qualms and you have a great striker

3. Stefan Jovetic – He may not possess the big frame that other top strikers do but don’t let that fool you

4. Alvaro Negredo – Scored for fun towards the end of last season. 25 in all. Bit of a Jermaine Defoe in taking shots though

5. Gonzalo Higuain – Hijacking Arsenal’s bid should be easy. Chelsea did it with Mata

6. Mario Gomez – Great poacher in his Stuttgart and early Bayern days. Available on the cheap

7. Fred. He maybe the Flavour of the Month but he did bully some of the world’s best defences

8. Roberto Soldado – Good record in La Liga and did well for Spain recently in the Confeds.

9. Burak Yilmaz – Scores goals. That should be enough

10. Jackson Martinez – Snap him up before the price balloons

*Note: - Only goals scored by players playing as Centre-Forward. For eg – Sturridge’s goal against Spurs last season doesn’t count as he was playing as a winger but his goal vs Manchester United counts as he was playing as a striker

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

United play an attacking system built around their strikers. Their midfielders and wingers main job is to create chances for the strikers. We on the other hand never rely on our strikers for goals. Just compare the goals our midfield scores to united's. The percentage of goals scored by our strikers may vary a little from season to season, but we'll never be as reliant on them as Manchester are. And that, imo, is a good thing.

Now, the reasons why that percentage has dropped in the past couple of seasons are two. First, our main strikers seriously lacking some clinical finishing. This is something we can improve on. The other and bigger reason is the change in our attacking system. Now more than ever, our attacks are based on our attacking midfielders more than our strikers. The striker is almost a mere distraction at times. We use the striker to move defenders and create space for attacking midfielders to run into. The positional freedom that our front four have and their ability to interchange roles is our biggest asset in attack, imo. That won't change regardless of who or if we sign someone in the market.

Regarding our activity in the market, I honestly don't think we will sign a striker this summer. First, we just signed a striker in January. We also have Lukaku coming back from loan and he has earned a chance with the first team. While Torres will not be sold simply because no one is willing to pay his wages. So basically we have three strikers that aren't going anywhere while playing a system that only utilizes one striker. Buying a fourth striker would not make any sense and would cause a lot of needless headaches for the manager.

Now, the reasons why that percentage has dropped in the past couple of seasons are two. First, our main strikers seriously lacking some clinical finishing. This is something we can improve on. The other and bigger reason is the change in our attacking system. Now more than ever, our attacks are based on our attacking midfielders more than our strikers. The striker is almost a mere distraction at times. We use the striker to move defenders and create space for attacking midfielders to run into. The positional freedom that our front four have and their ability to interchange roles is our biggest asset in attack, imo. That won't change regardless of who or if we sign someone in the market.

You're spot on with that. The attacking mids making runs into the box is a big part of our play but a good striker will only improve this team.

edit: I don't know what's happening with the font. seems bigger

I'd go for Ibra. If he's not avaiable then definitely Jovetic. If it doesn't turn out too good, you can always take good money for him because of his age and huge potential. And he's Montenegrin, would be nice to see him in blue. :D

If we cant get Rooney or Lewa (thats it for me), so Lukaku can take the place.

But i want us to try and get someone out of those two first.

CHOULO19,

Yes we signed Ba in January, but there is no law about not selling a player 6 months after you buy him. I think Ba was never going to be a steady at Chelsea, i can see him leaving this summer especially when we hear teams are interested (in England and in Russia, so they say at least). You're making it so complicated like we are in some kind of trap. If we really want a new striker, we can sell Ba. (even loan Lukaku maybe, something I don’t want off course).

You're spot on with that. The attacking mids making runs into the box is a big part of our play but a good striker will only improve this team.

edit: I don't know what's happening with the font. seems bigger

Not denying that at all. Like I said, one of the reasons why the percentage of goals scored by strikers in our team has dropped because of the lack of clinical finishing and we can certainly improve on that. But I just don't think that is very important or would make much of difference. It's certainly for me not worth the prices that have been quoted for some of the 'Top' strikers. I just think we have bigger concerns atm.

If Ba does indeed leave, I reckon Gomez would be a decent signing. If he stays, then i'd say we will be going into the season with Torres, Lukaku and him in that order of preference. Whilst that's still better than how we started last season, it's still not enough imo.

Not denying that at all. Like I said, one of the reasons why the percentage of goals scored by strikers in our team has dropped because of the lack of clinical finishing and we can certainly improve on that. But I just don't think that is very important or would make much of difference. It's certainly for me not worth the prices that have been quoted for some of the 'Top' strikers. I just think we have bigger concerns atm.

Yeah. I got the crux of your point But current forward line is thin/not good enough for me. I would definitely look to add a forward. As good as the midfield is, the bulk of the chances fall to the forward over a season.

I think Jose will sign/try to sign a forward.

It's so important that we get someone who can score goals. Torres works hard - sometimes - and he also makes good passes to the players behind him, but when he gets a chance, he needs 3 minutes to actually take a good shot, and this is unacceptable when you want to compete with the best teams.

Strikers of some teams we will be competing against next season: Mandzukic, Aguero, RVP, Chicarito, Tevez, Messi, Cavani (if he stays at Napoli or goes to PSG), Suarez, Balotelli, Higuain.

Top teams have good strikers, there's no 2 ways about it. So with all the money at our disposal it will be a joke to go into the season with a 'prospect' and 2 average strikers. One of Ba or Torres has to leave and make way for a better player.

Gomez > Soldado > Yilmaz for me atm.

CHOULO19,

Yes we signed Ba in January, but there is no law about not selling a player 6 months after you buy him. I think Ba was never going to be a steady at Chelsea, i can see him leaving this summer especially when we hear teams are interested (in England and in Russia, so they say at least). You're making it so complicated like we are in some kind of trap. If we really want a new striker, we can sell Ba. (even loan Lukaku maybe, something I don’t want off course).

Why would he leave? He did well in his 6 months here, he's not worse than Torres and Lukaku and he still hasn't gotten a chance in front of the new manager. And he still has 3 years on his contract. He's also our only target man while Torres and Lukaku are very similar to each other. The rumors, like all other rumors, are 99% BS.

It's not that we're trapped, it just makes no sense to buy another striker, definitely not for the 30m+ prices that are being quoted.

It really seems like we'll go into this season with Lukaku Ba and Torres.

The top options are starting to seem less and less likely. Falcao to Monaco, Cavani to PSG, Lewa stays or to Bayern.

Gomez, Higuain, Soldado etc. are not really top class IMO, better give Lukaku a chance.

Ofc I'll still go for Zlatan or Rooney but it doesnt seem likely.

Gomez, Higuain, Soldado etc. are not really top class IMO, better give Lukaku a chance.

They are far more experienced strikers who have scored hundreds of goals in Top European leagues. Lukaku would do well learning from behind them.

I'm actually amazed with the people calling for Lukaku to be our main striker, he was a super sub for West brom and that's the most he can be here atm.