Marco van Ginkel

Spike

After watching how an 8 month injury turned Kaka, who was the Ballon D'or at the time, into a less than average player, I'm always nervous when I see one of the players I like stay away from football for such a long time... I really hope van Ginkel will prove his talent is all still there soon, otherwise I'll be very worried...

Young players like him can get over injuries more often.. Azpi had a serious knee injury when he played for Marseille and he is great now. Jovetic suffered two injuries to his cruciate ligament before he turned 22 but later he was outstanding in Italy.

Let's just hope the best. Wulfert worked very hard to come back, he seems to be a big fighter.

I wonder if it's Mou's orders, or his injury making him play a more restricted role. I can't remember many times he's been near the opposition area this preseason.

Definitely Mourinho's orders, and just the general set up of the team. Mourinho wanted to provide a solid foundation because we had a lot of inexperience up front in pre season, hence why MVG wasn't really allowed to venture forward too much.

If you gave me a choice I'd honestly take MarcoT

It depends whether Marco is also a good at going forward because til now he did not much for the attack and as a box to box player you should also be attacking minded.At Vitesse he was also an attacking minded player,but Marco is now a too defensive.Marco should show some creativity,dribblings and maybe some shots.That is not enough for me.

Looked good today but some of his tackles are dangerous. He's not quite Paul Scholes and most can be put down to over-exuberance but there was one today where he went through the back of one of their players with no chance of getting the ball. Needs to just relax a bit because he's a solid midfielder.

I think he is doing that because he is coming back from a long lay-off and is just keen to impress the manager and send him the message that he is not only mentally ready to be a part of the squad but he's also physically ready.

I remember he was doing it before his injury as well though. I think he just loves to tackle!

I think he is doing that because he is coming back from a long lay-off and is just keen to impress the manager and send him the message that he is not only mentally ready to be a part of the squad but he's also physically ready.

It's not something new to his game. I remember him doing the same thing in his first CL start for us and I'm pretty sure he got booked for it. He's very willing to go to the ground and some of his attempts are absolutely ridiculous, they're dangerous and if it was Ramires then they'd probably get more attention.

He's 21, he's still learning. Of course he's flustered sometimes, but it's nothing that worries me in the future about him being reckless. The only thing I worry about him being way too intense in some balls is that he may get hurt again. He has a great attitude imo and I see him staying here a decade and being the guy we'll be talking with great regard five years from now. I agree with @dee25's assessment that he comes right out of the same school as Lamps and Gerrard and it's no wonder how significant those two are to the fans of the clubs they've spent their whole lives at. He could be a legend here for all we know. It's too early to say that for sure, but he has the potential right there.

Lol, who said that? Different type of players regardless.

I read a few places where pundits mentioned that Van Ginkel had the higher ceiling due to age

As in Van Ginkel is only 21 with so much development left in him...in comparison, Strootman is 24 and he's pretty much finished his development

A lot to come from this boy, such a well rounded player. I was very impressed with him last pre-season as well, hopefully he will have better luck this year, looks such a confident guy for being 21 and sort of reminds me of Roy Keane in a way, flying into tackles.

Also hes similar to Strootman as in hes a box to box midfielder, I'd say going forward maybe Kevin has much more to his game but he is a few years older as well so I suppose Marco has still got time to develop, also remember he scored 10 or 11 goals for Vitesse the season before we signed him, he obviously has the skill set to get up the park and score goals.