Marco van Ginkel

Spike

That's not true. We were lucky that we had one of the most lenient refs in Europe yesterday because he made 3-4 bookable challenges and the one he was actually booked for I've seen players sent off for because his studs were up.

I agree. I like his aggressiveness, something he has that our other midfielders don't have, but of course there's a thing as too much, very over eager in the tackle which was probably due to inexperience. 2-3 times he lost the ball due to a rubbish touch and then just fouled the player that took the ball. I'd have preferred him to just take a good touch and not lose the ball in the first place.

I agree. I like his aggressiveness, something he has that our other midfielders don't have, but of course there's a thing as too much, very over eager in the tackle which was probably due to inexperience. 2-3 times he lost the ball due to a rubbish touch and then just fouled the player that took the ball. I'd have preferred him to just take a good touch and not lose the ball in the first place.

Yeah he just panicked and wet flying in instead of controlling his nerves and staying on his feet and trying to force the player into an area where we can deal with the threat.

You cant judge him on that ,he looked raw ,not surprising though but it was clearly too much for him last night . Massive statement though to be picked in front of Mikel for such a big game ,but Rammy must come back in that role and let Lampard score the goals and make those key passes like for the goal last night.

Yes it was one game, but it was a very important game, and he was very weak, hardly heard his name, he looked confused, out of his depth, and when you look at say Ryan how he came on and was really good at such a high level was brilliant. He has to do better.

You cant judge him on that ,he looked raw ,not surprising though but it was clearly too much for him last night . Massive statement though to be picked in front of Mikel for such a big game ,but Rammy must come back in that role and let Lampard score the goals and make those key passes like for the goal last night.

Is it really a "massive statement"? He had not started any games for us before and although we were aware of the the threat they can pose I think Jose thought this would be a match to bring him in. At home, likely to have more off the ball and a game where he believed he MVG would settle better into the team but it did not really work. I still think, currently that Mourinho does not think MVG is 100% ready and I would expect Mikel to play more than him for now anyway.

I remember someone said last season that it isn't the best for a young player making his debut playing alongside Luiz in the pivot. The same probably applies with him and Lampard yesterday. Was left alone and exposed whenever Basel broke forward in that midfield with Lampard ghosting so far forward and not there to help him protect the back 4.

Lampard was often behind him in the first half ,they rotated especially early on . But then of course we needed somebody who could produce a pass that could make a goal and we went in 1-0 up. He did not sit as in virtually stand still as Mikel does. And I do not think Jose wants that as even Mikel was higher up the pitch v Everton. I think the days of this sitter have gone.

If Mikel had those stats everybody would have said Man of Match . 96% just shows how easy it is to have a high % pass rate when you keep it simple.

Mikel wasn't our best player against Everton because he made a high percentage of his passing though...

Mikel wasn't our best player against Everton because he made a high percentage of his passing though...

was he really that good? got dribbled past like he wasnt even there a few times and made little to no attempt to recover for their goal like usual.

Is it really a "massive statement"? He had not started any games for us before and although we were aware of the the threat they can pose I think Jose thought this would be a match to bring him in. At home, likely to have more off the ball and a game where he believed he MVG would settle better into the team but it did not really work. I still think, currently that Mourinho does not think MVG is 100% ready and I would expect Mikel to play more than him for now anyway.

This was a Champions League match,not the League Cup.

was he really that good? got dribbled past like he wasnt even there a few times and made little to no attempt to recover for their goal like usual.

Yes, go watch the game again and you'll see he made a lot of interceptions and tackles, drove well with the ball and had Ross Barkley in his pocket for the majority of the game, and of course passed exquisitely.

Apart from maybe slacking a bit for the goal he was very good.

Yes it was one game, but it was a very important game, and he was very weak, hardly heard his name, he looked confused, out of his depth, and when you look at say Ryan how he came on and was really good at such a high level was brilliant. He has to do better.

Not sure what you expected of him to be honest. It was his first start, not to mention his first Champions League start. If that is in reference to Ryan Bertrand, he had already made 100+ appearances in English football, was 2 years older and made his league debut against a Birmingham side that was basically already relegated.

Actually Bertrand wasn't very good in the Champions League final, it wasn't just him tho, the whole team bar Cech were awful, Bayern had a beyond stupid number of chances, that doesn't happen if your outfield players are playing well.

Yes they showed great character and determination that night, but when all said and done, Cech saved us from a royal hammering.