Marco van Ginkel

Spike

So. Done some research.

He was awarded the Eredivisie Young Player Of The Year award this season. This has previously been given to the likes of Eriksen, Maher, Afellay, Kalou, Huntelaar, Sneijder, Robben, Van Persie, van der Vaart, van Bommel, Seedorf, Overmars & Bergkamp. Impressive list.

He's valued at around £10m and that's roughly what he's expected to go for.

I don't believe Kakuta, Kalas, PvA etc. are part of the deal, but I don't know for sure.

He's an engine. Like Ramires, Toure (who he's more like), Essien of old (who he's even more like), Strootman - he won't stop running. The different between he and Ramires however is that he's not constantly bombing forward. He only does so when he needs to. He is definitely a defensive minded player; not a typical box-to-box player like the media make him out to be today. At the same time though, he's no anchor in midfield. I guess an almost like-for-like comparison would be Khedira.

What he has over our current options in Ramires, Lampard, Mikel etc. is creativity. Like a huge amount of it. He's not an incredible passer like Xabi Alonso, Pirlo, Xavi - not even a great passer like Gerrard, Modric, Wilshere - but he's a very good passer like Rooney, Totti perhaps etc.

He doesn't have the pace of Ramires but he has the same stamina from what I can see. He also stays up way more and is more composed displayed by his lovely finishing this season.

He prefers to tackle than intercept.

He'd rather get the ball forward with a risky pass than play the safe option which means another minute or 2 of passing around in his own half between another player.

His aerial ability is decent. Probably near the level of Y. Toure (he's stronger than he looks). So he'll win maybe half of his aerial duels in theory.

He can easily play behind the striker, but when he does so he becomes a lot less mobile for some reason. He'll take a lot of long range shots if put under constant pressure.

He rarely gets booked. He's not aggressive but he doesn't mess about. He'll win the ball back. He won't just let you run past him without a fight.

(You know how Yaya gets away with crazy shit without a card? Despite being a cunt he's smart about it. Same with this guy.)

He has a cool name.

So. Done some research.

He was awarded the Eredivisie Young Player Of The Year award this season. This has previously been given to the likes of Eriksen, Maher, Afellay, Kalou, Huntelaar, Sneijder, Robben, Van Persie, van der Vaart, van Bommel, Seedorf, Overmars & Bergkamp. Impressive list.

He's valued at around £10m and that's roughly what he's expected to go for.

I don't believe Kakuta, Kalas, PvA etc. are part of the deal, but I don't know for sure.

He's an engine. Like Ramires, Toure (who he's more like), Essien of old (who he's even more like), Strootman - he won't stop running. The different between he and Ramires however is that he's not constantly bombing forward. He only does so when he needs to. He is definitely a defensive minded player; not a typical box-to-box player like the media make him out to be today. At the same time though, he's no anchor in midfield. I guess an almost like-for-like comparison would be Khedira.

What he has over our current options in Ramires, Lampard, Mikel etc. is creativity. Like a huge amount of it. He's not an incredible passer like Xabi Alonso, Pirlo, Xavi - not even a great passer like Gerrard, Modric, Wilshere - but he's a very good passer like Rooney, Totti perhaps etc.

He doesn't have the pace of Ramires but he has the same stamina from what I can see. He also stays up way more and is more composed displayed by his lovely finishing this season.

He prefers to tackle than intercept.

He'd rather get the ball forward with a risky pass than play the safe option which means another minute or 2 or passing around in his own half between another player.

His aerial ability is decent. Probably near the level of Y. Toure (he's stronger than he looks). So he'll win maybe half of his aerial duels in theory.

He can easily play behind the striker, but when he does so he becomes a lot less mobile for some reason. He'll take a lot of long range shots if put under constant pressure.

He rarely gets booked. He's not aggressive but he doesn't mess about. He'll win the ball back. He won't just let you run past him without a fight.

He has a cool name.

Wow thanks for the summary! great work bud.

Sounds very interesting, definitely not the B2B type that i thought when i first heard that he is one.

looks good in the video.....like a young Lamps, knows when to get forward and score..........

one thing that worries me tho'.....the lads 21 or so, where has the scouts been for past 2 -3 yrs watching this lad, has he only blossomed this season,surely not, were no other clubs in for him before this or is it because of our links with his club we have 1st refusal on their players?

RLC looked pretty good in the matches against city and thats why they kept taking him out of it...........is this lad strong enough to take heavy challenges from toure etc

Oh yeah, of course there's always rumours regarding which clubs track which players and have genuine interest etc. which is most often rubbish, but I'm certain that the clubs which had/have concrete interest in him are:-

Chelsea

AC Milan (biggest interest I was aware of)

Manchester United (they seem torn between him and Strootman. I personally feel Strootman would be the better fit for them)

Arsenal last season before deciding to pursue M'Vila which they eventually pulled the plug on

Ajax (and when Ajax want to buy Dutch talent you know they're special)

Most players in his position, normally move to Ajax and if I was him I would do the same with the expected departures of Eriksen and SDJ. We have a history of signing players like this and then not giving them chances so surprised he would come here if he has choices. If he is set on coming here, good on him but I think he would be best served going to a team such as Ajax.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/05/27/4006681/chelsea-set-to-secure-van-ginkel-as-mourinhos-first-signing

Seems through. Very good signing I think, although I hope this has no influence on De Bruyne's future at Chelsea. It will be interesting to see, if he'll go out on loan or straight into the first squad.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/05/27/4006681/chelsea-set-to-secure-van-ginkel-as-mourinhos-first-signing

Seems through. Very good signing I think, although I hope this has no influence on De Bruyne's future at Chelsea. It will be interesting to see, if he'll go out on loan or straight into the first squad.

Its obvious but Mou is not Chelsea manager yet. The title therefore is all wrong already and I cant remember how many players goal.com already put in our team in past that never realy joined us.

Another player who would get bullied by Toure. Besides we have plenty of young midfielders...

MVG is about 6'2. He looks like he can hold his own already and will get stronger as he progresses. Hell, even Loftus-Cheek at 17 was matching Toure for strength/power in the two friendlies.