Harry Potter Thread

My favourite books of all time. Also made into a brilliant movie.

I read Harry Potter every summer again and currently I am reading it for the 4th time (or maybe 5th).

Even though everything is based around Harry, Hermoine is my favourite character.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Harry Potter every summer again and currently I am reading it for the 4th time (or maybe 5th).

I don't understand this at all, why do people reread the same thing over and over again? Do you forget it so quickly?

I don't understand this at all, why do people reread the same thing over and over again? Do you forget it so quickly?

I only did it for Harry Potter cos it's so good u want to read it again. Yet every time I finish reading it I still feel sad that it's over.

JKR made my childhood.

If it wasn't for the HP books I wouldn't be interested in reading at all nowadays.

Got the Philosopher's stone on my 12th birthday. Made the switch from comics to books at that point =)

What? That's like saying you shouldn't watch a movie again...

Regardless, great series. Main reason why I love fantasy books so damn much these days.

HP sucks LOTR RULES!!!!

Ok, that was mean. Here's a consolation prize - HP is better than twilight

:lol2:

Have you tried reading LOTR? It's as boring as f***! The movies are great, though, much better the shit HP movies. But NOTHING compares to the HP books.

Because every time you reread the HP series you discover new things that explains something in the story that you had not noticed before.

Have you tried reading LOTR? It's as boring as f***! The movies are great, though, much better the shit HP movies. But NOTHING compares to the HP books.

Because every time you reread the HP series you discover new things that explains something in the story that you had not noticed before.

The first half of the Fellowship of the Ring is boring, I'll grant you that. But pick up The Two Towers, and read "Shelob's Lair" and "The Choices of Master Samwise". Arguably the two greatest chapters ever written in fantasy literature.

As for the Harry Potter books, they are great. As a ASOIAF fanboy, I'll say that George R.R. Martin's books are better. If you take the best book from each series - in my opinion The Half-Blood Prince and A Storm of Swords - both are incredible, but ASoS edges it. Still, both are amazing. Two of the best series of fantasy books EVER.

The first half of the Fellowship of the Ring is boring, I'll grant you that. But pick up The Two Towers, and read "Shelob's Lair" and "The Choices of Master Samwise". Arguably the two greatest chapters ever written in fantasy literature.

As for the Harry Potter books, they are great. As a ASOIAF fanboy, I'll say that George R.R. Martin's books are better. If you take the best book from each series - in my opinion The Half-Blood Prince and A Storm of Swords - both are incredible, but ASoS edges it. Still, both are amazing. Two of the best series of fantasy books EVER.

Tbh, I never made it to The Two Towers. I read the first part of the Fellowship of the Ring and the Hobbit which was descriptive beyond boring.

For HP is the best not just because of the style but because the entire world that JK created is almost flawless. She can answer you about the history and life of any of the characters even if the information has nothing to do with the story. I feel that for her the HP is real.

Speaking of which, did you know that Dumbledore is gay? :lol:

Have you tried reading LOTR? It's as boring as f***! The movies are great, though, much better the shit HP movies. But NOTHING compares to the HP

I have read LOTR and the Hobbit......before the movies I might add and nothing about it is boring. Granted I haven't read HP (not going to either) but only saw the movies but they haven't and won't ever inspire me to read the books. Whereas a lot of people were inspired to read LOTR from the movies. Says something about storylines eh :P

I have read LOTR and the Hobbit......before the movies I might add and nothing about it is boring. Granted I haven't read HP (not going to either) but only saw the movies but they haven't and won't ever inspire me to read the books. Whereas a lot of people were inspired to read LOTR from the movies. Says something about storylines eh :P

Nop says something about the idiot directors :P HP is better written than LOTR which is too descriptive and repetitive.

Nop says something about the idiot directors :P HP is better written than LOTR which is too descriptive and repetitive.

Whatever makes you sleep at night Choulo!! :P

Seriously though its about context too. LOTR was written in a time where people would have had to use their imagination a lot to connect to the story whereas HP is a child of this new generation (meaning one that's inundated with CG and special effects)

Whatever makes you sleep at night Choulo!! :P

Seriously though its about context too. LOTR was written in a time where people would have had to use their imagination a lot to connect to the story whereas HP is a child of this new generation (meaning one that's inundated with CG and special effects)

Yes I don't deny that if you consider the time, LOTR is a better "achievement" but I as a reader hardly care about why it was written that way, I just want the book that I find more entertaining and that is by far HP.

Yes I don't deny that if you consider the time, LOTR is a better "achievement" but I as a reader hardly care about why it was written that way, I just want the book that I find more entertaining and that is by far HP.

You'll like twilight too :D