Rooney or Cavani

Ollie

Cavani or Rooney?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer Chelsea buy?

Ignoring the price tag, I'd take Cavani over Rooney every day of the week. He's a bit younger and in my opinion he has been the better player these last few years. Oh, and he's not a massive cunt who'd come with extra baggage like Rooney would. However, when considering the fact Cavani would cost twice as much I'd say getting Rooney makes more sense if he really is available for just £20-25m. Sure, he had a relatively bad season by his standards but he wasn't by any means shit and if there's anyone who can set the guy straight it's Mourinho and I believe he could easily get back to his very best if played primarily as a striker instead of an attacking midfielder or a winger like he has played at Manchester United under Ferguson.

Both wonderful players and I really wouldn't mind getting either of them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean you don't think we will because it is obvious that despite the current strikers at the club the board want another striker. Looks like we have made an approach for Cavani so anything is likely.

No. Even their president said that we have not made any contact and that it's all rumors. It's just that fans believe the rumors they want to believe.

See if Napoli will take Ba and 35-40 odd million for Cavani. Then we will have Cavani, Torres, Lukaku and Schurrle as potential CF options next year. Or sell Ba and Torres and sign both of them? or is that just greedy :Goober:

Problem with the Cavani deal is they want Ramires and cash as opposed to anyone else we have offered (Torres, Marin).. utter wankers they are. Or just wait to August 10th until his clause is removed and try then but I have a feeling come the end of this month we will have signed a striker who is one of either Rooney/Cavani/Lewandowski/Mario Gomez...

Do we spend money on Rooney say 20-30m transfer fee and potentially 200k wages or 50 odd million on Cavani/40 odd million and Ramires? I would rather spend 20-30m on Rooney and the 200k wages on a 5 year deal as opposed to a 53 million pound transfer and potentially 150k wages on a 5 year deal/40 something million and lose Ramires.

The most biased thread in the history of the universe! :lol:

Who said Rooney will cost us 25mi? Who said Cavani will really go for 53mi? No mention of Rooney's 225k/week salary? No mention of Cavani's current form?

No mention of anything important, just a very unreliable set of numbers. :clap:

Most places have stated that cavani would go for the release clause. Which seems accurate as several big clubs want to aquire him. And if it is less it wouldn't be much less. In this window he won't go for less than 50 I highly doubt, unless there is a player involved.

Who said rooney is on 225k?

And who said cavani wouldn't want more money than rooney?

Just because he wasn't getting it at napoli doesn't mean he doesn't want it now. And being labeled the best striker in the world and the biggest clubs being linked, it's very likely they would demand equally high wages.

And everyone knows cavani's form hence the release clause being demanded.

All unknown information. So not necessarily biased just an estimation.

Price wise, Rooney would be better option. Cavani is in form and generaly better finisher. Both track back and provide strenght. We dont have regular crossers, so Cavani height isnt that advantage (except for Corners). Rooney is english and we lack them in the team. Mourinho, Cole, Cech,...like Rooney so he could get with our fans aswell, its not an enemy of our team. Also Rooney can play in every position in attack, maybe even in midfield. I have feeling that Rooney's top level career will be longer, he could play in his 30's and still deliver a lot.

Conclusion: price tells we should get Rooney, cuz Cavani isnt 28mio better player than Rooney. But in the end, whoever we get, I would be equaly happy if we get other players too (DM). Both are top strikers and would work here very well.

Not sure where you learnt maths, but...

The difference between 77million and 89million is 12million!!! Not 2million ;)

First let's look at the financial side of things:

Rooney is on 200k a week would probably expect at least the same if he came here. Over the life of a 5 year contract that would come out to £52m. Add in his transfer fee of £25m, and he would have a total cost of £77m. If various "news" sources are to be believed, and that's a big "if", Cavani would be paid 140k a week if we signed him. Over the span of 5 years he would be paid £36.4m in wages. Add in his £53m price from Napoli and he would come out to a total expenditure of £89.4m. The annual cost to the club for Cavani over Rooney would come to £2.4m. I use the annual cost because we would no doubt amortize the cost of the players for FFP purposes.

Not sure where you learnt to read but....

My math is correct. I rounded to 2.4m. To be precise, the annual difference using these calculations would be £2.48m. I appreciate your snarky pedantry though, however incorrect it may be. :rolleyes:

Not sure where you learnt to read but....

My math is correct. I rounded to 2.4m. To be precise, the annual difference using these calculations would be £2.48m. I appreciate your snarky pedantry though, however incorrect it may be. :rolleyes:

Why would cavani just except 140k because he is on it at the moment. He is finally at a point where he can be demand the highest wages and with lots of interest from us, his wage fee is more likely to be in the region of 200. Considering that's what similar calibre of players get paid.

No one knows anything definitive.

Rooney could be 20 he could be 30.

And wage demands are all guesses but i would assume he would want the maximum and it wouldn't be absurd to assume he would want more like 200 than 140.

But I think its not just the money. Rooney fits in better, and we have Lukaku to use as a power option.

Cavani is no doubt the better player. But Lukaku has the potential to be great. And instead of buying our way out of a whole, it would be nice if we had a little more faith in our youngsters.

Rooney has something to prove right now if we sign him. He is a striker and want to be considered like the best one in england

I can see him giving everything to score a huge amount of goals just to prove Man U wrong for playing him out of position.

He is the best striker to play with Mata, Hazard, Oscar and KDB and to link up with them.

He is a great defender, great passer, and a pure free kick shooter (huge upgrade for us).

If we are going to play Oscar in the pivot, he could play in the hole while Mata is rested and Lukaku would have a lot of playing time up front.

Why would cavani just except 140k because he is on it at the moment. He is finally at a point where he can be demand the highest wages and with lots of interest from us, his wage fee is more likely to be in the region of 200. Considering that's what similar calibre of players get paid.

No one knows anything definitive.

Rooney could be 20 he could be 30.

And wage demands are all guesses but i would assume he would want the maximum and it wouldn't be absurd to assume he would want more like 200 than 140.

But I think its not just the money. Rooney fits in better, and we have Lukaku to use as a power option.

Cavani is no doubt the better player. But Lukaku has the potential to be great. And instead of buying our way out of a whole, it would be nice if we had a little more faith in our youngsters.

First, Cavani is not currently making £140k/week.

As for the numbers I mentioned, they are from various news sources to whom I would not give much credence, a point about which I was fairly clear. They are, however, the only thing remotely resembling figures that we have to go on for the purposes of this exercise in conjecture.

Rooney. I'm one of those who doesn't like to see the club spend obscene amts of money every window. Last year it was required. We had finished 6th. This year, I hope we limit the spending to 50mil. Rooney - 25m, Schurrle -18m, van Ginkel/de Rossi - 8-10m

That is bullshit, not going to happen and he is not worth that right now.

Benteke has potential, in my view. Whether, he is worth 25m ? Well, show me one player who is worth asking prices ?

Cavani, is he worth 53m ? No, he is not!

The most biased thread in the history of the universe! :lol:

Who said Rooney will cost us 25mi? Who said Cavani will really go for 53mi? No mention of Rooney's 225k/week salary? No mention of Cavani's current form?

No mention of anything important, just a very unreliable set of numbers. :clap:

It's not at all a biased thread because i'm going on the numbers that are in the media and the rumours that we want both. Cavani is better than Rooney atm, a lot better in fact but is a lot more expensive. Rooney is also not finished yet imo. If it was Cavani £25m against Rooney £53m, the poll would be 100% in Cavani's favour but that's not the case.

I've not made anything up at all. The media are reporting we're after Cavani and Rooney. The media report Cavani has a buy out clause of £53m which Napoli want met for him to be let go and the media are also reporting that Rooney could be available for £20-£25m. These aren't my figures. These are the actual stories.

I'd be over the moon with Cavani but i'd be excited as hell to see Rooney with Mourinho.

Also if we spend £50m on another striker, he'll be compared to Torres every day and if he goes even 3 games without a goal, we'll start getting edgy and it will really get annoying hearing about Torres over and over again. He'll be under huge pressure.

Imagine Rooney scoring the winner for us at Old Trafford in Moyes' first home game. Just imagine it.

Lukaku, Ba, Torres and Schurrle.

Don't understand how can people think that strikeforce would be good enough, even if the midfield players behind them can score goals, if we are to achieve big things next season and win the major trophies.

Torres will be well...Torres. Ba is good enough and I believe he will improve but he's not a top class striker that will lead us. Lukaku has done well but is still young and got loads to improve on before he can even lead the frontline on his own for us. And I don't think Schurrle should even be considered as a striker. Yes, he has played there before for Mainz but his main position and attributes now lies out wide as an inside forward/winger. If we wanna list Schurrle as a striker, then we should probably include Moses in there as well.

None of the 3 strikers we have now are good enough. We need more. We need a top notch striker that will take us to a new level attacking wise and give us that X-Factor, that bit of unpredictability, putting in fear into the opposition's defenders like we did before. Otherwise, things will become predictable and we'll have to rely a lot on our attacking midfielders/midfielders to bang us most of the goals. Moreover sooner or later, Torres and Ba will go and come then, we'll only have Lukaku in our hands and there doesn't seem to be any quality strikers coming through the academy for us. If we can get someone like Cavani, then it will help us and solve much of our problems, not just now but also for the future.

No. Even their president said that we have not made any contact and that it's all rumors. It's just that fans believe the rumors they want to believe.

For someone who watches the Serie A, you should know better that Aurelio De Laurentiis is a wacki character who will do and say some silly stuff and that one shouldn't always take him too seriously. Furthermore, he is the president of a club whose biggest prize asset is attracting interests from other big clubs and it's rather obvious that he would want to cause some stir and get clubs into a bidding war etc by saying things 'Chelsea have not contacted me', 'PSG have not offered anything for Cavani' and things like that. You chose not to believe much at all in transfer rumours and what players' agent tend to say but yet seem to trust what a club president say when they all have similar objectives to achieve.

People actually care about the price difference? Cavani is the better striker at the moment end of, stop pretending like you guys care about the clubs finances when money has been no problem for the past 10 years.

It sounds like a plastic thing to say but it's the truth.