Rooney or Cavani

Ollie

Cavani or Rooney?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer Chelsea buy?

Conclusion: irrelevant thread. The Shrek won´t be sold to Chelsea & Cavani is going to PSG.

Play Lukaku, BA, Torres, Schurrle.

Do that and forget winning the league.

We need to ship one or both of Torres and Ba and buy a world class striker.

Ask yourself this: Which top club throughout Europe who's ambitions are to win league and Champions League titles would line up with Torres or Ba as first choice strikers? Answer: ZERO! So why should Chelsea!?

We have the weakest strike force of any of the 3 clubs that should be in for the english title next season. PSG, Bayern, Dortmund, Barca, Madrid, Milan, ect ALL have better strikers than we do.

We have the funds to buy one.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind either, but Rooney's price just edges it for me. £25m is a very decent price for a man who can score 30+ goals when fit and motivated. He will also allow more playing time for Lukaku as he's very flexible. That edges it for me as well.

Just to add that I do rate Cavani higher than Rooney, but Cavani isn't £20m better.

/thread

Conclusion: irrelevant thread. The Shrek won´t be sold to Chelsea & Cavani is going to PSG.

Play Lukaku, BA, Torres, Schurrle.

since when is cavani going to psg? laurent blanc said he would like to have him.

so did mancini....

Cavani every single time.

If United are prepared to sell to a title rival for such a relitevely low price, that alone should suggest that he just isn't the world class forward he use to be. They know what there doing, remember Veron? Would they have sold a 2008 Rooney to a title rival for anything other than a stupid amount of Money? no chance.

There is very few players in the world that in theirself could take a team to the next level and those players don't come cheap, Cavani is one of those players. A 2008 Rooney was one of those players, but a 2013 one isn't.

When Rooney put his first transfer request in, it was a dead cert he was going to City and he was in his prime then. You'll never really know if they'd sell their best players to rivals or not. To them, no player is bigger than the club and if you want to leave, go for it. We don't manage Man Utd and we don't operate there so we can't know how they are prepared to do business. they may have sold him to City a few years ago. To me it seemed like that was going to happen.

This is not even a contest. Rooney according to this would cost 28M pounds less! That's an elite player less than Cavani. Straight up, would I rather have Cavani? Yes, but not by much and certainly not by that substantial a margin. Even playing out of position, Rooney was still one of the best players in the Premier League last year. 12 goals and 10 assists in just 22 starts. That's fantastic. For the difference in cost, really, no comparison.

I just read according to sportsdirectnews:

Chelsea are reportedly willing to meet Aston´s 25m price-tag for C. Benteke.

At 22 year old, this is the way to go. Fuck the Shrek & Cavani.

That is bullshit, not going to happen and he is not worth that right now.

First let's look at the financial side of things:

Rooney is on 200k a week would probably expect at least the same if he came here. Over the life of a 5 year contract that would come out to £52m. Add in his transfer fee of £25m, and he would have a total cost of £77m. If various "news" sources are to be believed, and that's a big "if", Cavani would be paid 140k a week if we signed him. Over the span of 5 years he would be paid £36.4m in wages. Add in his £53m price from Napoli and he would come out to a total expenditure of £89.4m. The annual cost to the club for Cavani over Rooney would come to £2.4m. I use the annual cost because we would no doubt amortize the cost of the players for FFP purposes. So Rooney is not really the budget alternative that he may appear to be even with his significantly lower purported transfer fee.

Fit and Present/Future Value

Cavani can play as a wide forward, but is undoubtedly at his best as a line-leading CF. He would be an excellent fit in either of Jose's favored formations of 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 . Rooney, however, is best suited being paired with another striker in a 4-4-2 or as a SS in a 4-4-1-1. Unless JM wants to start channeling his inner Sir Alex, Rooney is a poor fit for the formations we will most likely use and our current personnel.

Though only a year and a half older than Cavani, Rooney has made nearly 200 more senior appearances for his club. This is result of Rooney starting his professional life at the highest level a young age. Many footballing prodigies break down at an earlier age due to this. Rooney is certainly no exception. He has developed chronic injury/fitness problems over the past several seasons, and his skill set also does not tend to age well. The Man Utd star is already showing marked signs of decline. He is rather reliant on pace, whereas Cavani has a powerful side to his game. He has also been healthier than Rooney in recent seasons and played far less matches in his career. The Uruguayan is also firmly in his prime with no signs of slowing down.

So even after all this stumping for Edinson, I'll confess that I'd be fine with not getting either of them. I'm not in the "Lukaku is the future, the future is NOW!" camp, though I think Rom will come good. I just don't think we should thrust so much responsibility on his shoulders this season. I do think we need to upgrade our striking corps, but not for Cavani's cost and under pretty much no circumstances do I want Rooney, but for the sake of our delightful Devonian Tomo's exercise, I would absolutely go for Cavani for the aforementioned reasons.

Will be happy to see different face up front, think Torres have enough time. Not care much who it will be - Ba, Lukaku or someone else. Both - Rooney, Cavani sounds tasty. BUT I will be disapointed if we not add proper dm/cm in the team. So for me now De Rossi>>>Cavani,Rooney.

Rooney only because I can't justify spending ridiculous money on players. It's just not needed. Plus we could sign Rooney and also bring in another couple quality players and have a very good squad.

First let's look at the financial side of things:

Rooney is on 200k a week would probably expect at least the same if he came here. Over the life of a 5 year contract that would come out to £52m. Add in his transfer fee of £25m, and he would have a total cost of £77m. If various "news" sources are to be believed, and that's a big "if", Cavani would be paid 140k a week if we signed him. Over the span of 5 years he would be paid £36.4m in wages. Add in his £53m price from Napoli and he would come out to a total expenditure of £89.4m. The annual cost to the club for Cavani over Rooney would come to £2.4m. I use the annual cost because we would no doubt amortize the cost of the players for FFP purposes. So Rooney is not really the budget alternative that he may appear to be even with his significantly lower purported transfer fee.

Fit and Present/Future Value

Cavani can play as a wide forward, but is undoubtedly at his best as a line-leading CF. He would be an excellent fit in either of Jose's favored formations of 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 . Rooney, however, is best suited being paired with another striker in a 4-4-2 or as a SS in a 4-4-1-1. Unless JM wants to start channeling his inner Sir Alex, Rooney is a poor fit for the formations we will most likely use and our current personnel.

Though only a year and a half older than Cavani, Rooney has made nearly 200 more senior appearances for his club. This is result of Rooney starting his professional life at the highest level a young age. Many footballing prodigies break down at an earlier age due to this. Rooney is certainly no exception. He has developed chronic injury/fitness problems over the past several seasons, and his skill set also does not tend to age well. The Man Utd star is already showing marked signs of decline. He is rather reliant on pace, whereas Cavani has a powerful side to his game. He has also been healthier than Rooney in recent seasons and played far less matches in his career. The Uruguayan is also firmly in his prime with no signs of slowing down.

So even after all this stumping for Edinson, I'll confess that I'd be fine with not getting either of them. I'm not in the "Lukaku is the future, the future is NOW!" camp, though I think Rom will come good. I just don't think we should thrust so much responsibility on his shoulders this season. I do think we need to upgrade our striking corps, but not for Cavani's cost and under pretty much no circumstances do I want Rooney, but for the sake of our delightful Devonian Tomo's exercise, I would absolutely go for Cavani for the aforementioned reasons.

Not sure where you learnt maths, but...

The difference between 77million and 89million is 12million!!! Not 2million ;)

Rooney is still the better option - as he allows other younger players the chance to shine and CAN play in the number 10 role occupied by Mata in a much more lethal way... :)

25+ mill = BARGAIN :)

The most biased thread in the history of the universe! :lol:

Who said Rooney will cost us 25mi? Who said Cavani will really go for 53mi? No mention of Rooney's 225k/week salary? No mention of Cavani's current form?

No mention of anything important, just a very unreliable set of numbers. :clap:

Exactly. We play a system with only one striker, we can't have five in our squad. As much as people don't want to hear it, it is unlikely that we will sign another striker this window..

Do you mean you don't think we will because it is obvious that despite the current strikers at the club the board want another striker. Looks like we have made an approach for Cavani so anything is likely.