John Ruddy

James

Schwarzer would be Australia's number one whether he plays one game next season, or one hundred.

Exactly, he doesn't even have any competition in the Australian NT.

If we're going to spend 10m on a homegrown GK, I'd much rather we get someone who could actually retain his price if we want to sell him when Courtois comes back from loan. Someone like Boro's Steele who for me is much better than Buttland.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well enlighten us then instead of using sarcasm. Who would overtake Schwarzer in the Australian NT of he did not play regularly next season?

Schwarzer is on his very, very last legs. If he went a whole year of not playing or playing the odd game here and there then Federici or Langerak could take over. As soon as Schwarzer was released from Fulham serious questions and doubts were raised over his future in the Australian team.

Now that you have been enlightened, please don't make such ignorant comments.

Schwarzer is on his very, very last legs. If he went a whole year of not playing or playing the odd game here and there then Federici or Langerak could take over. As soon as Schwarzer was released from Fulham serious questions and doubts were raised over his future in the Australian team.

Now that you have been enlightened, please don't make such ignorant comments.

True that he is 40, but he is a goal keeper, so stamina and pace don't really come into the equation for him. Regardless of his age, he is still a much better keeper than Federici who is incredibly error prone. No idea who that other guy is, though..

There seems to be a weird obsession with fans and 'home-grown' players. Honestly, why the hell do we really care? The club will always ensure we have enough, one way or another.

I personally have never seen it as a big deal. I certainly don't see it as much of a valid point when spending a couple of million that could be invested elsewhere. As Alex said, we may as well have kept Turnbull in that case. Worst case scenario, we promote Blackman as 3rd choice and get a different back up (which is what I thought we were doing in the first place).

I don't see a point in signing the likes of Ruddy either. He might be back-up now, but any keeper that comes here knows that they might even be 3rd choice in a couple of years if Cech stays while Courtois is no. 1.

There seems to be a weird obsession with fans and 'home-grown' players. Honestly, why the hell do we really care? The club will always ensure we have enough, one way or another.

I personally have never seen it as a big deal. I certainly don't see it as much of a valid point when spending a couple of million that could be invested elsewhere. As Alex said, we may as well have kept Turnbull in that case. Worst case scenario, we promote Blackman as 3rd choice and get a different back up (which is what I thought we were doing in the first place).

I don't see a point in signing the likes of Ruddy either. He might be back-up now, but any keeper that comes here knows that they might even be 3rd choice in a couple of years if Cech stays while Courtois is no. 1.

Basically whoever come in know that they will be sold next season or will most likely never play a match for the club again after this season.

Why?

His English, young, has Premier League experience, and is a very good goalkeeper. Cant understand why anyone would be against this..

Only now saw your reply, sorry.

I see absolutely no point to this signing tbh. He is "too good" to simply sit on the bench for the whole season. I mean, unless Cech gets some freak accident, the backup goalie, whoever he is, will only get about 5-8 games all season. i personally dont see the point in splashing out 8-10mil plus high wages on Ruddy when as others have mentioned, we could simply have kept Turnbull or can sign someone like Schwarzer.

Even if I'm thinking on a long-term level, there is no way he is good enough to be our first-choice keeper. We have Courtois for that anyway. Even if we lose Courtois (which could happen if either he himself wants a permanent move or if he is not willing to wait and the club decides to stick with Petr past this upcoming year) we should go out and get someone world class or potentially world class. Ruddy is neither of those.

To each his own, of course!

Superb goal keeper. Hard to think about 4 years ago he was playing in the SPL with Motherwell and now hes an England international. If he'd accept the Turnbull role as I call it hahaha, then sure he'd be a great signing. Or possibly another keeper we could look at would be Ali Al Habsi, sure hes 29 or 30 but he'd do as a back up for a few years.

Brad Fridel would be great, if he wasn't with Tottenham. No way is Levy going to sell to us.

As for Ruddy.. Well if he won't come either way. I mean it's Wold Cup year ffs, he's definitely going to be in contention to be one of the three Roy will take. The same reason we were rejected by Jack Butland.

It's a shame, there's a lot of good keepers up for grabs this summer but none that are "back up" types.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You