André Schürrle

BlueLion.

I think he was decent today - which is the corresponding to awesome given how the players turned up in Stadium of Light.

If there's one play that KILLED me was during the first half when he advanced in the right flank and reached the box, and cross AND THERE WASN'T ANYONE IN THE BOX because Eto'o was outside the box and Cole got the cross (in the other side of the box) and cross to the middle of the box where there was anyone.

Do you guys remember when he scored his first goal for us? It was a similar play, Torres reached the end of the pitch and crossed and Schurrle moved to receive the ball and score (while Torres was advancing). That's what I expect from our striker and even Willian and de Bruyne (although if memory serves, de Bruyne was inside the box in this specific play).

I'd test him in the striker position. It's not like he can do any worse than our strikers have been doing anyway. Give him a couple of matches there and see what happens. But I don't see José doing it :(

• 2 weeks later...

i can translate it too: he is basically saying, that he has to get used to the roughness of the PL. some of his opponents could play for a rugby team, he says. that he is putting a lot of extra shift to get some muscles on to be able to defend better and to play better against these sort of players. in Germany the referees would give a free-kick for some of the duels but in the EPL, they let it go through. also he says that Mou is great and he likes him and that he controls the private life of his players, which is OK for Andre.

He can do so much more with what he has, he seems afraid and lacks confidence and self-esteem. Every pass is backwards, never goes at players even tho he usually has plenty of opportunities to go 1v1. If we are to win the title Mourinho has to integrate him better because the difference right now between him and Mata and the elite squad (Oscar, Willian) is too big.

Today was arguably his worst performance since joining the club and that two set piece deliveries was damn bloody woeful!

However, given he has hardly been playing lately, can't really expect him to just turn it on. Should get another start against Derby to improve his form.

He started very strong but last few appearances have been weak.There was one game where he ran around like a headless chicken after oppostion players but when he reached them, he just let them pass, over and over. He was very ineffective today, godo choice by Jose to take him off.

Bad game but think he still has the engine and the directness that can work well in this side. In a team with Oscar and one of Willian and Hazard then he can be an important player for us, but simply wasn't his day.

I think conditions just made matters worse for him (as well as for Mata). He has what we call explosion in Portuguese which is using his pacing to move the play forward with the engine and directness you described (maybe they call it engine in English after all). Heavy conditions, he's still not fully adapted to the physicality, not having much of play time lately and not doing much of the little play time he had between November and December, and that's what happens.

I still believe he's suited (and has the quality) to play against teams that will attack us and offer the counter. He's very direct, fast and the only AM player in the squad who really provides width for us. He has a spot in our squad, an important one, but he's too young, not used to the physicality and will need time just like Oscar, Hazard and now Willian needed. But I really like the lad and I'll overlook a bad match - or a few bad cameos. But today was never the match for him imo.