André Schürrle

BlueLion.

Based on last season or because Schurrle had a good WC? You weren't screaming this at the end of last season at all were you? Stupid to judge completely reevaluate judgement on a player based on 45 mins of pre season football, acting like Willian has never even had a great game here at CFC. Schurrle wasn't even spectacular last season for us.

Edit:

Here you go, Namika detailed this list of some of the games where Willian was pretty excellent last season:

He only featured for 9 minutes against Norwich :carlo: His best game was Stoke at home when he played in the 10 position.

Schurrle >>>>> Willian. Fulham away, PSG Home, Stoke away, Steaua away. Call me when Willian has a game as good as any of those.

Those are all games where he stepped up and was direct and dangerous. He needs to do more of that which he should when you bear in mind Mourinho and Loew both alluded to him working hard on his fitness last season.

If you look at the post I quoted, it was about his offensive contributions... I just highlighted it to showcase some of his better games here.

My point is no one was screaming that Schurrle is a million times better than Willian at the end of last season, and that opinion has swiftly changed based on a WC, and 45 mins of pre season. It's ridiculously over exaggerated IMO.

People were high on him after the PSG game having just had a glance at those pages. I think the World Cup has simply confirmed what people had an inkling of.

Willian will probably start because of his workrate and his ability to retain the ball, but I think if we actually showed ambition and looked to dominate teams you'd go with Schurrle everytime.

I think Schurrle represents that expansive, attacking ethos that people are attracted to. It's why the comparison to Mikel is rather apt.

Schurrle >>>>> Willian. Fulham away, PSG Home, Stoke away, Steaua away. Call me when Willian has a game as good as any of those.

Willian away at Southampton was something else, best individual performance of the 2013/14 season after Cech vs Bayern and Hazard vs Sunderland, for me. Hazard vs Newcastle also a contender, but Willian was special that day. Didn't get the chance to go to the game but had the pleasure of watching it on Sky and their player focus after full-time was on Willian. Showed just how hard he worked for the team. Scored a decent goal as well! ;)

People were high on him after the PSG game having just had a glance at those pages. I think the World Cup has simply confirmed what people had an inkling of.

Willian will probably start because of his workrate and his ability to retain the ball, but I think if we actually showed ambition and looked to dominate teams you'd go with Schurrle everytime.

I think Schurrle represents that expansive, attacking ethos that people are attracted to. It's why the comparison to Mikel is rather apt.

If Schurrle consistently plays as well as he & we know he can then yes, I'd start him for most games too (especially ones where we're really looking to dominate offensively) because as you said, Schurrle is much more of a direct threat than Willian will ever be, but Willian can still be a very important tactical player and whether Schurrle can keep up the consistency is still a very big if, if we're basing it on his performances last season in a CFC shirt.

Of course, Schurrle as it stands right now fits in like a glove in our offensive system as our second goal getter from the right - with crosses and through balls from the left from players Cesc, Hazard or Luis when overlapping but he has to be consistent. In general, in a CFC shirt Schurrle hasn't been any better than Willian was IMO. Sure, he showed excellent signs in the WC, but it's ridiculous to complete shaft Willian away because of that IMO.

You need players like Schurrle but you also need players like Willian over the course of the season. In the bigger games he'll be a very useful weapon for us, he was excellent away to City last year - prime example. If we need to be more careful with the ball and our ball retention - again Willian on the right is also a good option. Of course he has to step it up this season offensively - but so does Andre in a sense with his consistency.

Willian away at Southampton was something else, best individual performance of the 2013/14 season after Cech vs Bayern and Hazard vs Sunderland, for me. Hazard vs Newcastle also a contender, but Willian was special that day. Didn't get the chance to go to the game but had the pleasure of watching it on Sky and their player focus after full-time was on Willian. Showed just how hard he worked for the team. Scored a decent goal as well! ;)

Best individual performance? He didn't even start that game (if we're talking about that 3-0 win in January)

See I'd say Oscar away to Southampton was the performance of the season. Take away the dive and that was a perfect performance off the bench with an assist and a goal.

The worry is that it says more about Southampton that those two players had their best games against them.

Best individual performance? He didn't even start that game (if we're talking about that 3-0 win in January)

So people have to start games now to win man of the match awards? If you recall, Oscar also came off the bench that day. The two of them were brilliant.

See I'd say Oscar away to Southampton was the performance of the season. Take away the dive and that was a perfect performance off the bench with an assist and a goal.

The worry is that it says more about Southampton that those two players had their best games against them.

but it also says a lot about us last season as the first half against the Sainds was one of those matches that looked like we were never going to score.

Those things has to be taken into consideration too. If we have a tough match - even against a 4th division team, for whatever reason - and don't look like winning it for one hour, whoever completely changes it for the last 30 minutes deserves some credit than just 'it says more about Southampton than us'. Also, Southampton had great moments last season - not saying one of them was against us - they weren't that bad at all.

Consistency is a general problem with ALL our AMs if people haven't noticed it yet. Oscar had it, Hazard had it, Schurrle had it and the one who had it less often was Willian - although we can also say that considering their best performances and consistent streaks, he was also the less shining. One because he really doesn't have that great end product we discussed on his thread, two he was following the manager's instructions and performing his tactical role.

At the end of the day those are all boys coming to their peak age - except Willian - who had ups and downs during the season and offer completely different things. I wouldn't be surprised if they still have some inconsistency issues even this season. It's a progression in their development curve and they aren't fully developed yet and I don't expect them to be 100% already this season (based among other things on how often they were unimpressive or downright bad last season). And because they offer completely different things, they're all very important for us. Whoever reaches the consistency they all need first or at least extend their good streaks further, will be more present in the first team, but even them, depending on the kind of tactics Mourinho wants to deploy, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle, and even Cesc and Ramires will alternate in the CAM and RW positions as no matter how he performs, Hazard is already an untouchable in the team (as he should imo). It's time for all those three young AMs to step up, and take a big step in their development, and if they do it this season, we'll be happy and very dangerous, as a team with Hazard - Oscar - Schurrle is completely different from Hazard - Willian - Schurrle or Hazard - Oscar - Willian. I really want to see Schurrle - Hazard - Oscar or Schurrle - Hazard - Willian a few times though. Just because Hazard is a must in the first team, it doesn't mean he has to have a captive place in the LW. There will always be the position Schurrle shines the most imo and it's only fair to give him a few matches there.

Look, I like Willian but Schurrle is simply more of a threat to teams. His runs in behind, movement and finishing ability gives him the upper hand over any the rest of the players competing for that RW spot.

Willian does alot of good things but he's virtually no threat to the opposition. His lack of goalscoring (has never scored 10 goals in a season before) has been a theme throughout his career despite playing in Ukraine for a good chunk of it. Schurrle on the other hand has already scored 8 more club career goals despite being 3 years younger.

Nothing against Willian but Schurrle simply has a higher ceiling for me.

Really impressed with Andre today once again. It's only preseason, of course, but once again the lad has demonstrated that he deserves a place in the starting XI. Hope he keeps it up.

ButUVnCIYAAFQlZ.jpg

Even Cesc ditched Torres for Andre. Bonding over their assists in the WC finals?

When did he become a set piece wonder?

I remember he was very on and off on corners last season and I don't particularly remember he ever taking a FK for us.

Now all of sudden, World Cup winner, André Schurrle, not only can score, get the most amazing runs, but is a boss in all kind of set-piece.

He's progressing fast and the fact that not only he's a WC winner, but was influential in the trophy will continue to do wonders to him and he might end up the season being one of our best players. I can foresee double digit goals as well as assists (especially because of the set-pieces).

Invaluable player that I love since he was announced and gave the first interview to CTV - which makes me all much happier about his fast progress. I want him to be a Chelsea legend so much it hurts, and I think he may be on his way. Too early to say, but the lad has the right attitude, commitment and passion for this club in addition to his quality as a footballer. His ceiling might be much higher than I first expected. Hopefully it is.

When did he become a set piece wonder? I remember he was very on and off on corners last season and I don't particularly remember he ever taking a FK for us. Now all of sudden, World Cup winner, André Schurrle, not only can score, get the most amazing runs, but is a boss in all kind of set-piece.

You could see during the WC that the German NT had been practising their free kick routines so I guess Schurrle improved on it while there, which is very useful for us.

Well, we shouldn't expect more for our Brazilians to perform on top very soon, as they need time. But, I could see Schurrle has already fired up, yes maybe physically not 100 percent, but I think his mentality is ready. Expect him to start against Burnley.