The Ranieri Days

nono

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was when I started following Chelsea and football in general. Here's a statement that probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread:

Ranieri did a much better job the transfer market than Jose did.

That's more the general consensus from what i read, although im not sure just how much say Ranieri had in signing's in his summer under Roman.

That's more the general consensus from what i read, although im not sure just how much say Ranieri had in signing's in his summer under Roman.

His signings (and general decisions regarding the squad for that matter) wasn't that bad before Roman either. Although I admit I don't remember everything from back then so I might be mistaken.

He did quite well and I believe it was a mistake to sack him, but I don't particularly regret it when you look at who came afterwards.

That semi final in Monaco still hurts though.

Bro it still hurts the players as well. Read Jimmy Floyd's Autobiography & you will see what I mean. He feels that season CFC should have won the UCL after dispatching the so-called Invincibles on their home turf. However the way things turned out we would have never gotten The Special One. There is a cause & effect w/ everything.

He said he was like Tom Jones in one of his interviews lol but Roman shit all over him..... everyone wanted him to stay because they felt sorry for him but Roman was cool and clinical and knew Jose was the future. I remember that season because I went to the opener against Liverpool and Veron scored then Hasselbaink my Dutch brother smashed one into the kop end and we starting singing its a new dawn a new day ! Never forget that season oh and we were destroyed by the Spanish king Fernando Morientes in the Champions League after possibly the worst tactical decision by Ranieri after Monaco went a man down.

Was when I started following Chelsea and football in general. Here's a statement that probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread:

Ranieri did a much better job the transfer market than Jose did.

I would agree if you said players who are easy on the eye like Robben then i'd agree but Mourinho is the ultra manager for efficient no nonsense players like Drogba and Essien. Mourinho bought winners like Carvalho.... Ranieri bought players easy on the eye like Veron and Crespo !

Monaco away , to this day I think it was all a dream ,Haisselbaink ended up playing left back as I remember and they had ten men ,it was unbelievable .

He was good for us though on balance especially with Frank and JT bringing them on ,but not good enough once Roman came in .

Monaco away , to this day I think it was all a dream ,Haisselbaink ended up playing left back as I remember and they had ten men ,it was unbelievable .

He was good for us though on balance especially with Frank and JT bringing them on ,but not good enough once Roman came in .

Hasselbaink at left back ??

In regards to his final season...The 03/04 season was really exciting because we just never knew what was gonna happen next. We were signing the likes of Crespo, Makelele, Veron... players with huge stature from huge teams. We were getting world superstars. Can't believe that was 10 years ago. When we beat Lazio 4-0 then Newcastle 5-0 3 days later, i was in dream land, it was unbelievable and Crespo's double against Wolves spanking them 5-0 away, Makeleles debut i think, he was superb. I never thought i'd be supporting a team like this. I realised what it feels like supporting a top side. I looked forward to every game so much that season because i wanted to see our stars wearing a Chelsea kit.

We may not of won anything that season but we sure as hell knew that something amazing was happening and it was only a matter of time. Just thank fuck we beat Liverpool on the last game of the 02/03 campaign, we never know what may have happened if we hadn't won that game.

Pleased to see Ranieri getting the praise he so richly deserved .. Like others who have followed he was treated disgracefully.

I think it was probably what the club needed though Roman was a cold business man and he did it for the benefit of the club. I remember we all wanted him to stay because we felt sorry but you have to admit he's not on Mourinho's level. Would he have won the league the next season probably but not as clinical as Jose !

I would agree if you said players who are easy on the eye like Robben then i'd agree but Mourinho is the ultra manager for efficient no nonsense players like Drogba and Essien. Mourinho bought winners like Carvalho.... Ranieri bought players easy on the eye like Veron and Crespo !

Very true but my point was about not just the players that worked out here, but more about the ones that did not. Yes, Jose bought us people like DD and Ricky, but for every Drogba there was a Boulahrouz(if that is how you spell his name) or a Wright-Phillips.

Very true but my point was about not just the players that worked out here, but more about the ones that did not. Yes, Jose bought us people like DD and Ricky, but for every Drogba there was a Boulahrouz(if that is how you spell his name) or a Wright-Phillips.

Lets be fair to Jose now because that 07-08 season was unfair on him because he got no money and he could only sign shite like Sidwell if I remember correctly. SWP was a horrible signing but a lot of the shite jose bought was the rotten eggs he could only afford when he went on his rant... he never really wanted them !

i was very young at the time. like 5 or 6. can barely remember the league but i can remember the champions league vs arsenal and monaco. i think gronkjaer scored vs monaco i remember that - watched it at my grandparents house.