Eliaquim Mangala

Walk the league easily? Really?

Don't think anyone is now capable of walking the league. If/when we finally sign Filipe Luis then our first XI is just as strong as theirs. They may have more depth, but they did last season too and needed our help to win the title by only a few points. I also don't see Yaya having another ridiculous year like that.

I think they have to be favorites entering the season, but to say they'll walk the league is ridiculous in my opinion.

No it's not, don't be ridiculous. We have just signed 3 quality players who may or may not flop while City have 5 proven genuine world class players and core in Toure,Aguero,Silva,Kompany and zabaletta who won the league last season coupled with other top class players like Magala,Fernandinho, Nasri and Dzeko. They are not relying on "potential", "inconsistent youngsters" and "new signings" to pull them through but we are.

Their core is already settled and world class. they aren't counting on a 23 year old to have an amazing season or their new signings to gel and hit the ground running.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it's not, don't be ridiculous. We have just signed 3 quality players who may or may not flop while City have 5 proven genuine world class players and core in Toure,Aguero,Silva,Kompany and zabaletta who won the league last season coupled with other top class players like Magala,Fernandinho, Nasri and Dzeko. They are not relying on "potential", "inconsistent youngsters" and "new signings" to pull them through but we are.

Their core is already settled and world class. they aren't counting on a 23 year old to have an amazing season or their new signings to gel and hit the ground running.

Why would Fabregas be a flop? He has already proven himself in the PL.

Why didn't they walk the league last year with basically the same squad? Yaya had probably his best season, they scored 100+ goals, and were competing against several sides in transition and they didn't walk the league.

They've added a couple if unproven players. Yaya is apparently unhappy and I don't think he'll replicate his last season. Then he goes off the the African Cup and misses games for them.

I personally think that our new signings will hit the ground running and gel seamlessly. Their core may be "settled" and not over reliant on a single player like we were at times last season, but we have the best manager in the world and have SIGNIFICANTLY improved a side that did the double over this City who you seem to think is a juggernaut.

If they do win the league I guarantee it won't be by more than 3-6 points.

Why didn't they walk the league last year with basically the same squad? Yaya had probably his best season, they scored 100+ goals, and were competing against several sides in transition and they didn't walk the league.

This was my initial statement " on paper that team should walk the league" the bolded clearly indicates that they have the best squad on paper and have the potential to walk the league but football rarely follows logic and it's played on the pitch rather than on paper. but you ignored that part right from the start.

La liga last season was a perfect example. Real madrid and barca had the best squad/team on paper in la liga last season and most people would have predicted the two to walk the league leaving AM and the rest in the dust and even though theoutcome was different, does that mean the initial assessment was bogus and that the two Spanish giant didn't have better players/squad than Atleitico?

They've added a couple if unproven players. Yaya is apparently unhappy and I don't think he'll replicate his last season. Then he goes off the the African Cup and misses games for them.

If they lose yaya they still have enough quality cover in midfield and they also lost him to the nations cup the year they won their first league title under monsieur which didn't make a difference to the ultimate outcome.

I personally think that our new signings will hit the ground running and gel seamlessly. Their core may be "settled" and not over reliant on a single player like we were at times last season, but we have the best manager in the world and have SIGNIFICANTLY improved a side that did the double over this City who you seem to think is a juggernaut.

If they do win the league I guarantee it won't be by more than 3-6 points

Well pardon me for showing more confidence in known quantity over unknown quantity and as for the bolded it still wouldn't change the fact that they have the best team on paper

Fabregas- proven world class player

Courtois- proven world class player

Filipe Luis- proven world class player and arguably the best in the world at his position

Costa- coming off of his best season playing for a side very similar to ours which won the league and was in the CL final

How are they an unknown quantity? These aren't young kids with a lot to learn and need to be molded in to top players. You know exactly what you're getting with these guys (with the exception of Costa, possibly). I think these new signings will go the way of Matic. I think they'll slot right in.

If City sign him or not, we'll still be the strongest defensively. It won't matter. There's enough potential brain farts between Hart, Kompany and Pellegrini for the coming season. Not to mention Aguero who has become a sicknote; and Yaya who will never best the previous season and is more concerned with money and that massive chip on his shoulder.

I'm not saying we'll walk the league, but City aren't as impressive as some would make it. They relied on others like us and Liverpool handing it to them last season rather than winning it on their own brilliance.

Anyway, I never saw what the hype was about Mangala. I sometimes imagine that Porto & Benfica have their own hype-machines to help with inflating transfer fees. But we'll see how good he actually is when he's in a top league.

City do start as favourites in my opinion. Settled squad, strong spine and better strength in depth than last year. Toure may or may not have another season at a similar level to the last but if they keep Aguero and Kompany fit (a big if), they won't need him to step up all the time.

We'll be right up there with the signings we've made and I can see United really coming back into it because they don't have any threat of distraction and injury/fatigue from the UCL. Not too concerned about Arsenal at the moment, their 'title bid' will last till November.

Fabregas- proven world class player

Courtois- proven world class player

Filipe Luis- proven world class player and arguably the best in the world at his position

Costa- coming off of his best season playing for a side very similar to ours which won the league and was in the CL final

How are they an unknown quantity? These aren't young kids with a lot to learn and need to be molded in to top players. You know exactly what you're getting with these guys (with the exception of Costa, possibly). I think these new signings will go the way of Matic. I think they'll slot right in.

It's easy. They are the defending champions and have won 2 of the last 3 premier league title. that's a known quantity and that's a winning pedigree.

I don't need to answer that with big paragraph. They are the defending champions and have won 2 of the last 3 premier league title. that's a known quantity and that's a winning pedigree.

Funny words considering they needed us to beat Liverpool to win a title :D

City do start as favourites in my opinion. Settled squad, strong spine and better strength in depth than last year. Toure may or may not have another season at a similar level to the last but if they keep Aguero and Kompany fit (a big if), they won't need him to step up all the time.

We'll be right up there with the signings we've made and I can see United really coming back into it because they don't have any threat of distraction and injury/fatigue from the UCL. Not too concerned about Arsenal at the moment, their 'title bid' will last till November.

And that's it in a nutshell. They are the favorites.

even with our 3 WC signings, city's squad is definitely better than ours!!! no questions there,

hell, even their reserve team for next year

caballero

sagna demichellis nastasic kolarov

navas garcia fernando milner

jovetic dzeko/negredo

is good enough to beat the likes of spurs and pool.

It's easy. They are the defending champions and have won 2 of the last 3 premier league title. that's a known quantity and that's a winning pedigree.

And they have been convincing title wins have they? Desperately trying to score in added time at home to QPR to win the league on goal difference and having two rivals throw it away in the last 3 games? Liverpool, with their one-man team and us without a striker and other glaring holes in our squad? Hardly convincing.

A 'winning pedigree' is winning the title with a record number of points or with games to spare. A 'winning pedigree' is constantly getting into the last 8-4 of the CL. A 'winning pedigree' is having confidence and consistency. A 'winning pedigree' is us in 04-06 or 09/10. It's more than simply having a fantasy team, it's a mentality and City do not have it yet. There is always an air of doubt which City will turn up: the team that blows other away or the bunch on individual who look like they couldn't be bothered (epitomised by Yaya). Until that air of doubt is gone I don't think anyone is thoroughly convinced by them.

And they have been convincing title wins have they? Desperately trying to score in added time at home to QPR to win the league on goal difference and having two rivals throw it away in the last 3 games? Liverpool, with their one-man team and us without a striker and other glaring holes in our squad? Hardly convincing.

A 'winning pedigree' is winning the title with a record number of points or with games to spare. A 'winning pedigree' is constantly getting into the last 8-4 of the CL. A 'winning pedigree' is having confidence and consistency. A 'winning pedigree' is us in 04-06 or 09/10. It's more than simply having a fantasy team, it's a mentality and City do not have it yet. There is always an air of doubt which City will turn up: the team that blows other away or the bunch on individual who look like they couldn't be bothered (epitomised by Yaya). Until that air of doubt is gone I don't think anyone is thoroughly convinced by them.

They finished above other 19 teams at the end of a 38 game marathon and that's all that matters. they won and we din't.

History books wouldn't describe them as "lucky winners of 11/12 and narrow winners of 2013/14" but as winners pure and simple. if it was that easy why couldn't one of the other 19 teams including us stop them from winning it 2x in 3 seasons?

They finished above other 19 teams at the end of a 38 game marathon and that's all that matters. they won and we din't.

History books wouldn't describe them as "lucky winners of 11/12 and narrow winners of 2013/14" but as winners pure and simple. if it was that easy why couldn't one of the other 19 teams including us stop them from winning it 2x in 3 seasons?

My last posts already answered this, but I'll say again:

I'm not saying we'll walk the league, but City aren't as impressive as some would make it. They relied on others like us and Liverpool handing it to them last season rather than winning it on their own brilliance.

Yes, their team is great, and that's the only thing that has barely won them the league those two times. All those wages and millions spent over the past number of years and it has equated to two very unconvincing league wins, good for them. Looking beyond that though, it's all very hollow. When you can question their drive and motivation because they can make Cardiff and Villa away look like world beaters, something is amiss. Couple that with the fact that we outplayed them home and away with an much inferior squad, their past 'success' is hardly an accurate yardstick to compare the upcoming season to when our squad has improved significantly by comparison.

Another thing is that City's squad is so good that it's hard to imagine that Mangala making a 'massive' impact on the squad's dimensions. Did Jovetic? I mean, will his impact be as big as Fabregas/Costa for us? I severely doubt it.

Again, I'm not saying they're shit, but I hate this fake air of invincibility put around them just because they're signing more players to an already brilliant squad who have hardly walked the league in the past.

Well in the context of your argument, yes it does matter. That they won both titles in the slightest of margins shows that maybe they're not the dominant "walk the league" force that you're evidently trying to portray them as.

I think you're over glorifying their quality and strength while minimizing ours.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You