Intense pre-season to cost us next season?

So Chelsea have announced today that we're going to be in the USA for a while longer now after our participation in the Guinness International Champions Cup was confirmed.

Teams that will take part in this competition beginning from 27th July, will include; Real Madrid, AC Milan, Everton, Chelsea, Juventus, Valencia & LA Galaxy.

Now here's the thing. We took off for USA 3 days after our final game of the season. We've played 2 intense games v. Manchester City, at almost full strength, in the space of 3 days.

The club have played over 60 games in the 2012/13 season alone. Last summer, Juan Mata played in Euro'12 & the Olympics. Eden Hazard, Oscar & Azpilicueta were regulars this season clocking up over 50+ appearances in their debut season in a new league.

Are we risking the fitness of these players in the 2013/14 season, for the sake of increasing our Brand?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Chelsea have announced today that we're going to be in the USA for a while longer now after our participation in the Guinness International Champions Cup was confirmed.

Teams that will take part in this competition beginning from 27th July, will include; Real Madrid, AC Milan, Everton, Chelsea, Juventus, Valencia & LA Galaxy.

Now here's the thing. We took off for USA 3 days after our final game of the season. We've played 2 intense games v. Manchester City, at almost full strength, in the space of 3 days.

The club have played over 60 games in the 2012/13 season alone. Last summer, Juan Mata played in Euro'12 & the Olympics. Eden Hazard, Oscar & Azpilicueta were regulars this season clocking up over 50+ appearances in their debut season in a new league.

Are we risking the fitness of these players in the 2013/14 season, for the sake of increasing our Brand?

+we will also be in Asia before, so the players have to adjust their biological clock 4 times (6 times including the post season), which is always strenious, cos it costs sleep.

But I do not think it will be big a problem, cos there will be plenty new/youth players included in the squad to share the duty + the intensity of the games will be more like a training session. You can't compare it to an international tournament.

I think we do nothing, the docs don't allow and we can't handle.

The USA tournament was completely unnecessary. Chelsea have been to the US twice in the last year, so brand promotion is hardly the concern there. I hope the manager is smart and rotates the squad and includes a LOT of youngsters in the team

The travel alone will be very exhausting though. If this is just a brand-PR (which I have no doubt it is) we will see quite a few on-pitch showings from Hazard, Luiz, Mata & Cech.

I'm very worried. We're not just travelling to one continent, but two. Now we'll have to content with a Super Cup fixture next season too, so that's more travelling for the squad.

They're still very young.

The travel alone will be very exhausting though. If this is just a brand-PR (which I have no doubt it is) we will see quite a few on-pitch showings from Hazard, Luiz, Mata & Cech.

And Torres with the arm band :doh:

I said this in the match thread yesterday and I'll say it again: I realize that football is mostly about money these days, but I find it absolutely absurd that whenever the clubs financial benefit conflicts with the footballing benefits the club seems to always choose the first!

One of the best qualities about Mata is his consistency. Now he's played an enormous amount of games in the last 12 months! If he picks up an injury between August and December, I fear it's going to take him a long time to recover because of the amount he's played.

And even then, Eva won't be able to fix him.

This is just stupid. You are acting as if the players have finished the season crippled, and have barely made it to the USA, being whipped by the club the whole way. We will barely be playing two or three games more than the average club in preaseason. If this is too much for them, they should give up football and take up checkers or ludo.

How long will the players actually have this summer to properly rest? A couple of weeks? This post- and pre-season is ridiculous. I just hope the new manager will manage the squad properly.

EDIT: "The eight-team tournament will see us play three games in August, with opposition confirmed from Europe, the Barclays Premier League and the MLS."

This is not so bad then if it's only 3 games. That's 6 pre-season games total, pretty standard.

People are over reacting here. Our star players won't be playing 90 mins of any match. And if god forbid, anyone has a slightest of knocks, he will be properly taken care off! The board is not stupid. We have a world class medical team whose job is to look after the players and their mental strength!!