The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby is a 2013 3D romantic drama film. An adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 novel of the same name, the film was co-written and directed by Baz Luhrmann, and stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, and Joel Edgerton. It follows the life and times of millionaire Jay Gatsby and his neighbor Nick, who recounts his encounter with Gatsby at the height of the Roaring Twenties.

Great Gatsby is the movie I waited most for. The trailers were so perfect that I couldn't wait to see the movie. The music, cast, costumes in trailer were all perfect. There was such a hype around this movie in Slovenia. Yesterday I watched it in the cinemas. I was really dissapointed.

First of all Tobey Maguire in my opinion isn't suited for this role at all for a lot of reasons. Second, I dislike fast, high-tempo style of Baz Luhrmann. In first half of an hour everything was so fast, I could barely watch. Scenes one over another, fast changing of scenes, loud music, bright costumes, a lot of dialogues, a lot of everything. After half of an hour it slowed down a little bit and was more enjoyable to watch. Music is really good, although it's modern, it really suits the movie, because you can connect it with modern times. I was impressed by Joel Edgerton he did a really good job, in my opinion the best actor in movie. Movie gets 5,5/10 from me. Trailer 9,5/10. Trailer and movie are tottaly different things really.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Gatsby is the movie I waited most for. The trailers were so perfect that I couldn't wait to see the movie. The music, cast, costumes in trailer were all perfect. There was such a hype around this movie in Slovenia. Yesterday I watched it in the cinemas. I was really dissapointed.

First of all Tobey Maguire in my opinion isn't suited for this role at all for a lot of reasons. Second, I dislike fast, high-tempo style of Baz Luhrmann. In first half of an hour everything was so fast, I could barely watch. Scenes one over another, fast changing of scenes, loud music, bright costumes, a lot of dialogues, a lot of everything. After half of an hour it slowed down a little bit and was more enjoyable to watch. Music is really good, although it's modern, it really suits the movie, because you can connect it with modern times. I was impressed by Joel Edgerton he did a really good job, in my opinion the best actor in movie. Movie gets 5,5/10 from me. Trailer 9,5/10. Trailer and movie are tottaly different things really.

Saw it last night with the other half. It was...goooood. Kinda.

She loved it. But I agree totally with what you said. The first hour or so was very fast and glitzy, but then I felt it kind of went to a bit of a standstill in comparison. There was no real gradual flow to the film or proper build up to the end. It took over an hour for the story to really take off. It's like they got completely carried away with all of the visuals at the start and then suddenly realised "Shit, we better start getting to the point".

It was good, but could've been a lot better. I don't know if it was the editing or Luhrman getting carried away with the visuals (probably the latter). And I don't like Toby Maguire at all, but I understand why they would choose him for the character (his look mainly). I just hate his stupid voice.

Di Caprio is a tank....I would. There I said it. :lol:

6.5/10