Europa League Final 2013 - Benfica 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

What worries me the most is the fact that having Benayoun could be bad luck. Liverpool never won a trophy while he was there and same thing happened with us in the 10/11 season.

What worries me the most is the fact that having Benayoun could be bad luck. Liverpool never won a trophy while he was there and same thing happened with us in the 10/11 season.

We should give him a new deal and offer him plus 5 million in part exchange for Phillipe Coutinho....

Hey guys! I am registed here and don't remember, that was because of our last game ate CL quarters :) so, how do you feel about this game? I am very sad because we lost against Porto when we were the best team by far this year but there is no way to win them, we never have lucky. I'm excitted about this game, think that's 2 offensive teams and could be an awesome game. It won't be easy, good luck and expect Benfica win :)

Sorry my bad english!

This is a really big game for them, but Benfica fans are treating UEL Final like we treat last year's game against Bayern in Munich.

They don't like blue in general, we knocked them out last year, Mourinho is highly connected with us and Porto and we bought two of their idols recently. If you ask any Benfica fan, they will say UEL is more important!

All I am saying is that they are pleased with the draw and they arent even trying hard to play, they are just letting the game pass. They wont be so unfocused on Wednesday...

EDIT: Well, they lost. That will do us wonders! :)

I wonder why. We've been raiding Porto since 2004

Benfica is pretty messed up after last nights game. They were 4 points ahead of Porto, and when they won their last away game against Maritimo, in the end of that game they were cheering etc like they've won the title (not giving credit to the 2 teams they were facing in their home turf (estoril - porto away (trailing 4pts, they could lose this one and still be in front for the last game home - moreirense) but in that last game before visiting Porto they got a draw so.. imagine the shock from partying before playing Estoril and now, losing against Porto and going to 2nd place after so many games.

I dont think they will have the mental strenght to win the final.

Well, this season is just about to end on Wednesday for Chelsea.

Not the greatest one but under so much turmoil again perhaps the club may win in Amsterdam ?

Nothing but much luck for the boys. So many games were played this year, it´s not even funny.

Kind of feel sad for JT. Once again, he will miss the final. Another blow in his illustrious career, I feel. Hopefully, next year, JT will be there to play & contribute in some final game.

Benfica won´t be a pushover, I feel. Although anything can happen, but I feel confident the team will win it.

Then, Rafa starts packing his bags & Roman goes shopping for a coach, players to challenge for trophies next year.

I am hoping Roman´s generosity won´t stop this summer & he buys 2-3 players to strengthen the squad.

game will be really tough. we are tired and played so many games. also JT and hazard seem to miss the game. benfica after nearly losing the championship surely want to get this title and will fight 90 mins long. they have a really strong attack (gaitan, cardozo) and our defense looked shaky. hoping for azpi-ivan-luiz-cole in defense. cahill didnt look good against villa. a stable defense will be the main point to win this game.

This is a really big game for them, but Benfica fans are treating UEL Final like we treat last year's game against Bayern in Munich.

They don't like blue in general, we knocked them out last year, Mourinho is highly connected with us and Porto and we bought two of their idols recently. If you ask any Benfica fan, they will say UEL is more important!

All I am saying is that they are pleased with the draw and they arent even trying hard to play, they are just letting the game pass. They wont be so unfocused on Wednesday...

EDIT: Well, they lost. That will do us wonders! :)

Been away for a couple of days so I'm just catching up reading the thread but I have to disagree with you Rmpr. While Benfica fans give the Europa League title a lot of respect and definitely want to win it, I would say the Porto game was by far more important to Benfica fans. Our rivalry with them is unbelievable and we had the opportunity to clinch the title in their stadium the same way they did in ours a couple of years ago. There is so much bad blood between us. We HATE Porto with a passion and wanted to ram the league trophy down their throats so bad. In the end, that game was absolutely devastating and demoralizing. You watch the reactions of the players and coaches at the end and you understand that this game meant more to them than the Chelsea game. My remote control was the closest its ever been to going through the TV.

Jorge Jesus made the mistake that game that so many coaches make in the same position. They went to Porto not to lose knowing a draw would pretty much hand them the title, and when you play like that you're bound to lose. That being said, the Europa League final is not a game where you leave anything in reserve, no reason to hold anything back now, much like Chelsea has no reason to hold back now since the top 4 is guaranteed. This is a game where both sides will be going out there to win and I think it could be an exciting offensive display that could go down as a classic.

While Benfica fans would've preferred celebrating the title in Porto's stadium, that doesn't mean this game Wednesday was far behind. It was right up there, and now it becomes THE BIG ONE.

To use a British phrase, we are absolutely gutted, and I hope we recover psychologically for Wednesday. It only makes sense to come out with a full strength offensive side to try to put a little confidence in the boys. If we leave either Lima or Cardozo on the bench and plug the midfield it will only signal timidness and fear and we'll be beaten before the game even starts. I look for a 4-4-2 from Jesus with Lima and Cardozo starting up front, Gaitan and Salvio on the flanks, Matic at holding mid, his partner in the pivot hopefully Enzo Perez but might not make it due to injury.

I understand that this trophy isn't the Champion's League, but its still a worthy competition and one that Portuguese fans respect. I hope Chelsea fans warm up to it because you'll see the pride and excitement the Chelsea players will play the game with and you'll see that its a meaningful game for them. 2 more days until this game, let's hope for a great one!