Europa League Final 2013 - Benfica 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Not entirely sure if this has been posted, but apparently Frank has said that the team did not practice pens before the final: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/europa-league-final-chelsea-havent-1889255

No idea what to make of that.

However, a thigh injury for Victor Moses means a late switch for David Luiz back into midfield, with Ramires on the right of the trio behind Fernando Torres

:blink:

However, a thigh injury for Victor Moses means a late switch for David Luiz back into midfield, with Ramires on the right of the trio behind Fernando Torres

:blink:

Hmmm, I need to learn to read articles till the end..

I can't start to even express how much I wish that is false!

Not entirely sure if this has been posted, but apparently Frank has said that the team did not practice pens before the final: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/europa-league-final-chelsea-havent-1889255

No idea what to make of that.

There is always a difference between what you say to the press what one does in training and what you actually do. Jogi Löw says they never practice corners or freekicks in training. I am pretty sure they do.

Moses out is a huge blow, surely. Without him we got no useful options on the bench whatsoever...Ramires on the wing has never been a good idea this season. AS we got no real wingers a narrow formation like a 4-3-2-1 sounds a logical consequence

Defense

rami-Mikel(fit?)-Lamps

----Mata-----Oscar----

----------.-----------------

There is always a difference between what you say to the press what one does in training and what you actually do. Jogi Löw says they never practice corners or freekicks in training. I am pretty sure they do.

Agree. I would imagine the keepers, at the very least, have been prepped for pens.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/14/frank-lampard-chelsea-benfica-europa

Some team news from the Guardian.

Terry, who damaged his left ankle in Saturday's victory at Aston Villa and arrived in the Netherlands with a pronounced limp and with the joint heavily strapped, made a bold attempt to prove he should warrant a place at least on the substitutes' bench by venturing out on to the turf as the squad trained at the Amsterdam ArenA night. But the centre-half, wearing trainers rather than boots, managed only one lap of the pitch with the fitness coach before retiring inside for further treatment.

Eden Hazard, who injured a hamstring at Villa Park, will also miss the game, as will Ryan Bertrand. That leaves the interim manager Rafael Benítez effectively left to select from a threadbare 18-man squad that includes Victor Moses, who picked up a slight knock at the weekend. Lampard will start and, as Terry's deputy, will take on the armband against the Portuguese having performed a similar duty in last year's Champions League showpiece.

Only have 18 players to select from?! :fainthv9: That might mean Benayoun, Marin, Ferreira will all be on the bench!

Apperantly Benifica were cursed by a former trainer, and they havent won a European final since... I'm pretty relaxed.

Apperantly Benifica were cursed by a former trainer, and they havent won a European final since... I'm pretty relaxed.

1962, Amsterdam. Bela Guttmann, the great Jewish coach of all time, led Benfica to maintain European title with a huge 3:5 Victory over Real Madrid, a year after winning 2:3 Barcelona in the final of the Champions league. After the celebrations in Lisbon, he contact the club president, asked to get bonus for the achievement. The president refused and Gutman responded: "I will quit and it will be another 100 years before Benfica will win the European Cup again."

1962, Amsterdam. Bela Guttmann, the great Jewish coach of all time, led Benfica to maintain European title with a huge 3:5 Victory over Real Madrid, a year after winning 2:3 Barcelona in the final of the Champions league. After the celebrations in Lisbon, he contact the club president, asked to get bonus for the achievement. The president refused and Gutman responded: "I will quit and it will be another 100 years before Benfica will win the European Cup again."

one should always be careful with Jewish curses. Ours is a certain Yossi Benayoun on the bench, who is condemned to never win anything. Let's see which curse is stronger^^

no offence, but isn't that typical :D

Rafa won't be such an idiot to actually start benayoun, but it is a guarantee that he will come on at some stage.

Benayoun is simply compeltely useless. he will never contribute anything a 15 year old amateur player can't do, too. With marin it is a different case. He is not only completely useless but also so über-motivated he is always likely to get a red card or so. On the other hand, Marin can - in one try out of 10 - fool the entire backline and create something out of nowhere. It is unlikely to happen, but when you are loosing, Marin has a 20% chance to ruin the game completely and maybe a 3-5% chance to change the game. With Benayoun you always can be 100% sure to lose.

It is impossible that we still are favourites now. Lima, cardozo, john (who is out hopefully), rodrigo, urreta, gaitan, are all better attackers than everything we got except Lamps, mata and oscar. If we do not go 2 or 3 up before the 70th minute there is no way we can win this, unless of course they completely fuck it up.