Chelsea and Rangers

Hello folks,

I'm just wondering what people make of the link between these two clubs. I've seen an increasing amount of Rangers fans with Chelsea tops on, I know of a few Rangers fans who are heading to Amsterdam. It poses the question, where did this partnership originate? What is the link?

Just looking for some general opinion

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I would like to say the below article was not written by me, all credit goes to Socrates from Svenskafans.com, I thought I would put it here for our Vital Chelsea contingent to read. But once again, all credit goes to the User Socrates from Svenskafans.com. It is a few parts from his post on that site, read on!

I note with interest some of the earlier posts over the connection between Chelsea and Rangers. Having lived through the development of the relationship (yes I really am that old!) I hope that my perspective helps to throw some light on it.

1. In the sixties it became fashionable at English games to chant Rangers or Celtic, particularly in the half time intervals. At Chelsea this was heavily steered towards Rangers even then. I think it was to do with the disproportionate amount of serving and ex servicemen (and their patriotic leanings) who frequented Chelsea.

Remembering also that the old nickname was the 'Pensioners' referring to the proximity of the Old servicemans home near the ground. They still receive a number of complimentary tickets even today and they can be seen in attendance resplendent in their red regalia. There is however no doubt that the 'bias' towards anything 'Unionist' was also to do with right wing links which became more evident and visible in the 70's with the growth of the NF, with Chelsea being a known recruiting ground. Nothing to be proud of, but a fact and factor nonetheless.

2. The seventies saw a dramatic shift towards the Rangers allegiance. This was definitely due to the IRA bombing campaign in London and north Surrey, from where Chelsea drew its support. The Guildford bombing and its fatalities in particular signalled an outcry against the IRA and anything associated with it. Celtic were seen as sympathetic to the republican cause. Overnight any Celtic chants disappeared.

3. The seventies (and early eighties) were described as the dark days of Chelsea FC when the hooligan element dominated the headlines. At least 2 of the Chelsea 'firms' at the time had their 'leadership' drawn from ex-servicemen, most of whom had served in Ulster. This strengthened the anti IRA, anti Celtic feelings even further. Many had formed personal relationships with Ulster Orangemen and also with Rangers supporters serving in various parts of the world at the time. Some of these Chelsea veterans also formed links with protestant paramilitary groups in Ulster as well after leaving the forces.

4. With the ban on English clubs playing in Europe in the 80's, many more Chelsea fans started travelling with Rangers in Europe, some admittedly for the wrong reasons but the majority for the camaraderie that was now growing between the fan groups. The fan base at the Jolly Malster pub, just off the Fulham Road would arrange trips to Europe and sometimes to Rangers home games. The pub became a meeting place for Chelsea and Rangers fans. It still does. There were 50 or 60 Rangers fans there last year when Chelsea played Celtic in its pre-season 'friendly'. (That`s another story by the way!)

So in summary (and this was meant to be a short note!) I think that the less savoury aspects of the early relationship are behind us leaving a feeling of great friendship and camaraderie. I think those that have not experienced a Rangers/Chelsea game before then you will find that it will be one to be enjoyed as the special relationship between many of the older supporters has a chance to 'live it for real' again.

Anyone got any thoughts!

(I`m staying out of this one - ed!)

Read more: http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=510489#ixzz2SucQ8Rqd

That's an interesting read, thanks.

I knew a bit about the political links between both sets of fans. Believe it or not I know two Celtic fans who are also big Chelsea fans, one is also from Ireland. Doesn't care about all the political stuff which is how it should be

Personally I wish they would find something better to do than follow us, going to places like Newcastle and Sunderland is become hard work with a couple of hundred drunken Scotsmen turning up each time.

I guess this view will be in be minority,

Personally I wish they would find something better to do than follow us, going to places like Newcastle and Sunderland is become hard work with a couple of hundred drunken Scotsmen turning up each time.

I guess this view will be in be minority,

He has a point, I was a Chelsea fan from a very early age as I just couldn't get all emotional about the old firm. First chance I got (16) I was offski, down to London so I could be close to my team. Going back, we have all had a row at some point but this Rangers thing is nausea.

Years ago, I accompanied a friend of mine to a Scottish Cup Final, Celtic v Dundee Utd. He was very much a "scarfer" and fair play to him, he was mad on Dundee Utd. Anyway, I digress. After the game, we got jumped by Celtic fans who, because Dundee United play in "Tangerine", thought his scarf was Orange. Guy came at me with "Believe it or not" a sword, cutlass type of thing. Me being a smart ass, grabbed the sword by the blade, and lost two fingers. Sown back on etc, and just numb. But that's the danger of getting involved with either of those two wankstains. I was only up from Souf London for the weekend as he had got me a ticket. Just relating that to warn people off the dangers of the Old Firm.

This Chelsea/Rangers thing isnt as dramatic as some have portrayed. As far as I am concerned, It started in 85' with a hastily arranged friendly to raise money for the Bradford fire disaster. The game was at the Bridge and pold thought it would go right off. Fortunately it was grief free and sadly certain bonds were made.

Word up here has it that Rangers are fucked anyway. Two bandits from Greenock trying to muscle in. Fucking Bus company owners and one has already done bird for tax avoidance!

I've asked the same question to veteraned season ticket holders one of the last times I was at the bridge and he said "It's them who associate with us!" He was very adamant about it.

I was always wondering about the link because of the fact they're Rangers fans...don't hear many nice stories about Rangers fans.

Nor, Celtic fans either for that matter! But it's just something I wouldn't like the club to be associated with anymore.