Psychological thriller

Melanicus

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Degrading probably not. Not an accurate depiction probably. Once it does not go completely off script like smallville did I personally don't see a problem with exploring his teenage years. Now that was degrading! So far I think they are doing a good job depicting the development of his psychosis.

I tried Bates Motel for about an episode and one half, but the whole thing is just too far removed from Bloch's story, Hitchcock's movie, and Hitchcock's era to hold much interest for me. I'm sure it is much more involving for the younger viewer. The whole issue of the town where the Bateses have settled having a human trafficking ring and a huge drug culture just doesn't much track with what "Psycho" was about.

One thing that has driven me a bit nuts about the show is reviews I read which often have this sentence:

"...of course, we all know the fates ahead for Norman and Mrs. Bates."

Well, from Bloch's novel and Hitchcock's movie, we do...but this is a TV SERIES. Exactly how many episodes (seasons?) are we supposed to wait for the events that launch "Psycho" to occur:

SPOILER!!!!!!!!

Norman kills mother and her boyfriend. Norman steals mother's corpse, guts it, stuffs it, sets it up in Mother's room. Norman starts to become his Mother and dresses up like her from time to time. Norman kills a woman in a shower and the detective who comes to find her. Double personality disorder

These events are the INTERESTING PART of "Psycho" and "Bates Motel" basically says: "Well, all that good stuff can't possibly come until near the end of this series."

I tried Bates Motel for about an episode and one half, but the whole thing is just too far removed from Bloch's story, Hitchcock's movie, and Hitchcock's era to hold much interest for me. I'm sure it is much more involving for the younger viewer. The whole issue of the town where the Bateses have settled having a human trafficking ring and a huge drug culture just doesn't much track with what "Psycho" was about.

One thing that has driven me a bit nuts about the show is reviews I read which often have this sentence:

"...of course, we all know the fates ahead for Norman and Mrs. Bates."

Well, from Bloch's novel and Hitchcock's movie, we do...but this is a TV SERIES. Exactly how many episodes (seasons?) are we supposed to wait for the events that launch "Psycho" to occur:

SPOILER!!!!!!!!

Norman kills mother and her boyfriend. Norman steals mother's corpse, guts it, stuffs it, sets it up in Mother's room. Norman starts to become his Mother and dresses up like her from time to time. Norman kills a woman in a shower and the detective who comes to find her. Double personality disorder

These events are the INTERESTING PART of "Psycho" and "Bates Motel" basically says: "Well, all that good stuff can't possibly come until near the end of this series."

It's a LONG wait for all of the good stuff!!!

From a psychological perspective the build up to it is good enough and that's why I like it a lot.

Each spin off from an original always tries to find its own perspective though, so the prostitution ring and stuff is just a way to prolong the lifespan of the series. It's not that bad though I can see it connecting back in small ways to the original storyline a bit

I watched Memento very recently and I didn't have a clue what was going on. I was a bit tired to be fair as it was late at night but still I was sat there extremely confused :blink:

It is not that complicated actually. You do have to pay attention though, try re-watching it!

It is a good film, worth giving a second chance...

memento.png