Jamal Blackman

James

Does this really matter with goal keepers though? I could see this argument for an outfield position, but in goal I think the issue of inexperience is subjective. After all, you can only reduce inexperience by gaining experience and to do that it's either go on loan or play the odd cup game.

Yes it matters. I agree that we can only reduce inexperience by gaining experience through game time but at the level we're playing and major trophies that we are trying to win, we need a reliable goalkeeper that can come in and do a solid job if/when needed. Not saying Blackman can't come in and do that but because of his inexeprience, he can be a bit more prone to making mistakes in goal that could cost us points and the game. If he starts making 1-2 mistakes, then the entire defence or the team even could get nervous when defending because they do not trust him and when with a team like ours that tend to make some silly errors at the back, you would want a reliable and solid GK. Have no problem with Blackman being the 3rd choice keeper but certainly not the 2nd. Need an experience one.

We've seen the effects of our GK loans in recent years.. Sam Walker & Matej Delac were both forgotten about after their respective loans. Walker would be adequate and he's received good reviews from the clubs he's been at. But he's simply been forgotten about.

Well, that has basically been a problem with us loaning players really. Both Walker and Delac may have done well (or not) at their respective loaned clubs but it's hard to gauge their quality as to whether they are ready to play for us at the highest level. Walker has been loaned to clubs in League 1 and 2 while Delac has spent time on loan in Portugal, Croatia etc without any success.

Not being funny here - I think Jamal has a good career ahead of him (albeit not at Chelsea...), but if Cech suffers a recurrence of his serious calf and/or elbow injuries and is out for 2-3 months, do you want Blackman as our number 1? I don't...

Not being funny here - I think Jamal has a good career ahead of him (albeit not at Chelsea...), but if Cech suffers a recurrence of his serious calf and/or elbow injuries and is out for 2-3 months, do you want Blackman as our number 1? I don't...

I think he'll be a good back-up for courtois in the years to come.

Yeah I agree. If Cech suffers a long-term injury, I think we call back Courtois.

Costs a lot of money to recall players from their loans, though, unless Atletico have agreed to a recall-clause.

Thats why we need a backup keeper who can fill in for Cech...and as you've mentioned in the other thread...Schwarzer or Green on a 1-year deal wouldn't be a bad option.

Not taking anything away from Blackman..but his skill-set is very raw.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...