Jamal Blackman

James

I see you are quite connected to Boro, George Freind is from the same town as me, I have mates that use to play with him.

Friend is doing well at Boro, they speak really highly of him.

Had a solid game last night too.

Sorry but I don't think he would succeed as a top level keeper. Looks far too nervous to be one.

Think he had every right to be a bit nervous. Not many wouldn't be. Teenager, first professional match, with a new team, away at anfield no less. Very harsh to write him off.

Maybe he won't become world class, too early to say anything though but not sure how you can write him off after that match.

Think he had every right to be a bit nervous. Not many wouldn't be. Teenager, first professional match, with a new team, away at anfield no less. Very harsh to write him off.

Maybe he won't become world class, too early to say anything though but not sure how you can write him off after that match.

Happened the few times I did see him. The other was during the post season friendlies against City. It may be harsh since everybody develops differently but I don't really recall any other top keepers being that nervy when they were younger. Sorry if it sounds wrong btw I don't mean that he has no right to be nervous, but the way he plays does not really inspire confidence at all. Obviously I want our youngsters to do well, I just hope we don't put too high hopes on them just because they are our academy products.

Happened the few times I did see him. The other was during the post season friendlies against City. It may be harsh since everybody develops differently but I don't really recall any other top keepers being that nervy when they were younger. Sorry if it sounds wrong btw I don't mean that he has no right to be nervous, but the way he plays does not really inspire confidence at all. Obviously I want our youngsters to do well, I just hope we don't put too high hopes on them just because they are our academy products.

I wasn't that impressed with his form in the youth team ...

• 2 months later...

Chelsea goalkeeper Jamal Blackman is set to discover whether Middlesbrough want to keep him beyond January.

Boro boss Aitor Karanka says he has decided whether he wants to retain the 21-year-old and plans to speak to him.

Blackman has made only one appearance for Middlesbrough, in the penalty shoot-out defeat against Liverpool in the League Cup in September, and is now third choice at the Riverside Stadium.

Karanka, who has also mulled over the future of Tottenham defender Milos Veljkovic, said: “I know what I am going to do, but I prefer to speak with them first.

“I am very pleased with both of them. They are both good lads and very good professionals and both of them have a very good future.”

Blackman, who has been on the bench four times for Chelsea and was in the travelling party for the Champions League final in 2012, is one of three Blues youngsters on loan at Middlesbrough.

Striker Patrick Bamford has scored seven goals in 15 league games, while defender Kenneth Omeruo has started 13 matches in all competitions.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/boro-boss-coy-chelsea-keepers-future?

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea goalkeeper Jamal Blackman is set to discover whether Middlesbrough want to keep him beyond January.

Boro boss Aitor Karanka says he has decided whether he wants to retain the 21-year-old and plans to speak to him.

Blackman has made only one appearance for Middlesbrough, in the penalty shoot-out defeat against Liverpool in the League Cup in September, and is now third choice at the Riverside Stadium.

Karanka, who has also mulled over the future of Tottenham defender Milos Veljkovic, said: “I know what I am going to do, but I prefer to speak with them first.

“I am very pleased with both of them. They are both good lads and very good professionals and both of them have a very good future.”

Blackman, who has been on the bench four times for Chelsea and was in the travelling party for the Champions League final in 2012, is one of three Blues youngsters on loan at Middlesbrough.

Striker Patrick Bamford has scored seven goals in 15 league games, while defender Kenneth Omeruo has started 13 matches in all competitions.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/boro-boss-coy-chelsea-keepers-future?

Surely he should be coming back next week. No reason to stay where is not even second choice.

• 8 months later...

I imagine that Begovic was to (god forbid) pick up an injury we would no doubt appeal for an emergency loan. Can't imagine Jose being happy with Blackman staring several games for us.

We got Magnus Herman when Carlo and Pete got Crocker at the Same time so I imagine we will find a solution.

Basically we have an even worse keeping situation than we had 11-13 until Tibo gets back.

Surely he will start a few games no? At very least against Walsall.

Hope he is tested and given a chance before applying for emergency loan. Horrible message to send out to the player if otherwise, basically saying you are not valued only reason you are at Chelsea is because of your English passport and regulation purposes.