A Case Against Signing Radamel Falcao

CHOULO19

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Choulo, if I remember, months ago you were saying we only needed a decent striker to score goals, and in fact a lot of people here were saying this kind of shit.

Then we got Ba, a decent striker, and its clear he is not any better than Torres. Torres is not world class anymore, but at least he got some decent skills. We already have decent strikers, we need a world class striker.

I dont respect your opinion about this subject since I have read a lot of garbage about it coming from you.

Carlos Alberto was exactly 20 when he scored the first goal in the '04 Final

Well he is also the same guy that become big flop and never lived to potential.

Lets say Lukaku under huge pressure scores goal in CL final, but then only sky is limit for him and he bottles it because of too big expectation? I hope this never happens to Lukaku but giving a 20yo old striker main job is risky. Not because of I wouldnt believe in him, but because it could harm his mentality. Yes he is big striker and down to earth, not so flop possible like brasil or french players recently, but he is still teenger in head, lets not forget, best strikers are usualy older, experience and mental pressure control make them top. Sure you have examples of young strikers in smaller clubs, but in Chelsea pressure in 100X bigger than in West Brom. Hell even big players like Cavani, Falcao etc might flop here because of pressure.

I think starting the season with Lukaku as our leading striker (together with Ba) its almost irresponsible as starting the season with Fernando "might got back to his old self over the Euros" Torres.

No, i dont think Lukaku will be as bad as Torres, i actually think he could do very good next season, but even if you are excited as me about his wonderful job at WBA, there are few things:

1. Lukaku is 20, and when he'll come back next season it will be after he was having only one good season in one of the best leagues in Europe.

2. Are we sure its enough? we're Chelsea FC, and in the last 9-10 years our goal is to be the best in the business, to rely on Lukaku in this part of his career doesnt give me the impression of it. Its a pure gamble for a team in our level.

3. Our best players- the attacking midfilders, are very young, now lets say we'll get a 25-28 CM in the summer like we're hoping we will - i still think we need another player who is a bit older and more experienced. Imo its vital for our next leading striker, to lower our naiveity around the box.

I read the article, and when i think Falcao is the best in the world and my personal "fantasy" as our new striker, i also think the points of "Falcao not the best suited ST" and "Value for money" are legit, but i wouldnt be too certain about anything when we dont know who'll be our manager.

i think saying we cant afford him is a bit rubbish. First, lets not listen to rumors about his 250k - 290k wage demand (i read about 290). Second, i dont need Malaga to tell me about FFP because their problems were very different, they havent paid their employees, they have very big debts, its not the same as buying Falcao or not. FFP havent proved himself as a game changer.

As much as I don't want us wasting money on Falcao , I don't even feel comfortable enough with Lukaku leading our attack next season.

You cannot just put someone in your lineup and expect him to start giving the results . It takes time and i don't think we can afford that next season , well we're already having one of the worst seasons of the Roman Era and I don't think he's happy with that .

Everyone here knows , Money is not and never been a issue for us . Why don't we just buy someone who is like already adapted to the wilderness of the Premier League ? Suarez for instance is one hell of a player and a one man army . If we gets him , I see us being unbeatable for years.

And i'm not a Liverpool fan , If i was I'd had killed anyone who'd have thought of selling Suarez xD

I think starting the season with Lukaku as our leading striker (together with Ba) its almost irresponsible as starting the season with Fernando "might got back to his old self over the Euros" Torres.

No, i dont think Lukaku will be as bad as Torres, i actually think he could do very good next season, but even if you are excited as me about his wonderful job at WBA, there are few things:

1. Lukaku is 20, and when he'll come back next season it will be after he was having only one good season in one of the best leagues in Europe.

Two more seasons than Falcao has had in the Premier League.

2. Are we sure its enough? we're Chelsea FC, and in the last 9-10 years our goal is to be the best in the business, to rely on Lukaku in this part of his career doesnt give me the impression of it. Its a pure gamble for a team in our level.

Let's not pretend that signing Falcao isn't a gamble either.

The difference is we've already gambled on Lukaku by signing him.

3. Our best players- the attacking midfilders, are very young, now lets say we'll get a 25-28 CM in the summer like we're hoping we will - i still think we need another player who is a bit older and more experienced. Imo its vital for our next leading striker, to lower our naiveity around the box.

Does Eden Hazard's age seem to be holding him back? What about Mata? Let's not confuse age and experience.

I read the article, and when i think Falcao is the best in the world and my personal "fantasy" as our new striker, i also think the points of "Falcao not the best suited ST" and "Value for money" are legit, but i wouldnt be too certain about anything when we dont know who'll be our manager.

My personal fantasy is Lukaku fulfilling his potential in a Chelsea shirt.

i think saying we cant afford him is a bit rubbish. First, lets not listen to rumors about his 250k - 290k wage demand (i read about 290). Second, i dont need Malaga to tell me about FFP because their problems were very different, they havent paid their employees, they have very big debts, its not the same as buying Falcao or not. FFP havent proved himself as a game changer.

It'll be a commitment of close to £100 million. FFP or not that's a lot of money. What we're doing right now is building a team, one that can grow together and buying some flash fucking tart who is 27 and expensive isn't a guarantee of success. We've got a kid who loves this club and has EARNED his shot because of his attitude and it's having faith in that is what will bring us success in my opinion.

Choulo, if I remember, months ago you were saying we only needed a decent striker to score goals, and in fact a lot of people here were saying this kind of shit.

Then we got Ba, a decent striker, and its clear he is not any better than Torres. Torres is not world class anymore, but at least he got some decent skills. We already have decent strikers, we need a world class striker.

In his short time here, despite starting most games on the bench, he has managed to score 5 goals and get involved in many others. He is nothing like Torres and time will prove that. So yeah, I stand by what I said in December, a decent striker like Ba, can easily reach 30 goals in all competitions in a season. But what's even more important is that he will hold up play and link up with the midfield which will create spaces for the likes of Mata and Hazard. That's all we need, imo. We don't need a world-class striker to challenge for tittles because our team should be centered around our attacking midfielder.

I dont respect your opinion about this subject since I have read a lot of garbage about it coming from you.

I'm sorry to tell you that I will be able to sleep at night nonetheless.

Have a few problems with your post if i'm honest. Firstly Porto under Avb didn't play a counter-attacking game, they played the complete opposite. Their game was all about pressing, keeping possession and playing an expansive attacking game. Falcao flourished in this system. Not a counter attacking one like you said. And also considering you don't know who our next manager is and what type of system he'll want to play, it is far too early to say he won't fit. For all we know we could get Mourinho and play his fairly counter-attacking game which Falcao has done so well in at Atletico. In an instance like this he'd be the perfect striker.

Even so (I think i've said this in the Falcao thread) he's still effective in a possession based game mostly due to his movement as he's always making defenders work and drags them out of position, in comparison to Torres is constantly static. His off the ball runs are the type of things which would benefit our AMs as it creates space for them. I also think we need a striker who can play as a focal point and someone we can centre it around because as we've seen with Ba recently, it gives our attacking midfielders a focal point to which they can either link up with, or can keep the opposition CB's occupied. We don't want someone like Torres who drops deep far too often and goes into the attacking midfield area and just congests it. Teams put 10 men behind the ball against United yet Hernandez has still been able to be very effective for them and score goals. It's not as if they are literally standing on the goal line. With a striker like Falcao who has excellent movement, combined with the creativity of our Attacking midfielders he would still be able to score lots of goals. Lets also not forget the fact that he is a world class striker. World class players are those that can adapt to any system. Falcao has gone from an intense, possession based system in Porto to a more counter attacking system in Spain and has done remarkably well in both. If he did come I'd have no worries he'd be able to adapt to whatever system we decide to play.

Should we sign Falcao, I also doubt it'd mean we couldn't sign a quality CM. I also hate this numbers stuff as nobody knows the full extent of our accounts such as how much our deal with Gazprom was worth and our sponsorship deals. We wouldn't be interested/buy Falcao if it meant that we wouldn't comply with FFP. The board may make silly decisions at times, but they are business people and wouldn't do anything to jeopardise our status in europe especially considering Roman was a firm supporter of FFP. What must also be considered is that is highly likely that a number of big earners will be off our books by the end of summer. Lampard, Torres, Malouda, Benayoun, Essien who i'm pretty sure are all on over 80k plus possibly the likes of the Ferreira, Hilario. In other words, our wage bill is going to significantly reduce. And once again, our board wouldn't be stupid enough to offer Falcao wages which would stop us from signing other players that are needed and cause our wage bill to become unmanageable.

Finally, you make a point earlier saying how Falcao has only done well in counter attacking systems, but then list Cavani (who plays in a fully counter attacking side), Lewandowski who plays in a team with a similar philosophy to Atletico and Lukaku who does most of his damage for WBA on the counter. The type of strikers you should be listing are players like Suarez or Jovetic who are the complete opposite to your Falcao's, but as I said it all depends on what our system is next season which none of us know yet.

kPPEeWI.jpg

source:Whoscored in case it was not clear

Awesome - what a prospect we have :)

Those saying he isn't ready to start for us - seriously?

Oh I get it stats, well lets pretend he's another teams player and we have to pay 60million for him, ready to start now? :)

A Case Against Signing Radamel Falcao

I wholeheartedly disapprove. Here is why:

Is Falcao suited for Chelsea?

We, here at Chelsea, have knack for buying very good, very expensive strikers and turning them into useless garbage, so I think, if we want to get another expensive striker, we should first ask ourselves: Is he likely to fit at Chelsea?

Now Falcao is an excellent finisher, one of the best in the world atm; no one can deny that. But he likes to play on the shoulders of defenders, facing the goal. He needs spaces to be at his best. Athletico are a very solid and organized team; they have the best defense in La Liga. They use this asset in most games to defend first then play on the counter. Even Porto played a counter attacking game under AVB that is very similar to Mourinho's Chelsea. At Chelsea, however, the system will be completely different since most teams will be happy to sit back and give us possession while they park 10 players behind the ball which leaves little room for Radamel to utilize his explosive pace.

Moreover, while his 40-50 goals a season are impressive to say the least, they have required the teams he plays in, be it Madrid or Porto, to play a system that is centred around the striker. They employ direct traditional wingers who are constantly putting crosses into the box for Falcao to finish off. We, on the other hand, have spent quite the fortune on some of the best young attacking midfielders who like to drift centrally and combine together near the opposition's penalty area. And for them to do so effectively, they need a striker who either runs away from the danger area, like Torres does, and creates space behind him or someone like Ba who is excellent at his hold-up play and can get involved in the link-up with his back to goal to great effect. This role is completely strange to Radamel who almost never does that.

Now I don’t claim that Falcao will turn into another Torres or Sheva, but based on the above, I would say that Radamel is not the most likely striker to fit well at Chelsea.

Should we spend all that money on Falcao?

Bringing Falcao to the bridge will cost quite a lot of money. I will attempt to figure out how much approximately that is in the next paragraph, but let us first ask ourselves if we should be spending big on a striker in the summer.

I believe our biggest priority, right now, should be to invest in our midfield. This is because, firstly, the strength of Chelsea has always been in the middle of the park. And secondly, we currently have a very thin squad that we’ve had to play a defender at central midfield at times, while some of our attackers (Mata in particular) have been run to the ground by our hectic schedule and lack of rotation options. And with some of our senior players like Lampard, JT, and Cole likely leaving in the next couple of seasons, we do seem to have more pressing priorities in the transfer market.

To keep it short, I would much rather see us sign a good central midfielder to partner Mikel in the pivot along with 2-3 squad players than spend that kind of money on one striker.

Can we even afford to buy Falcao?

We’ve all been told scary tales about the FFP rules that are going to be implemented, and while I don’t believe they are the horror movie some are making them out to be, FFP rules are very much a reality, as our friends at Malaga will no doubt tell you. So gone are the days where we could spend 50m on a player and not give it another thought. Hence, here is a quick glance at the financial feasibility of signing Falcao:

Now Athletico have been rumoured to price Radamel at a staggering 50m. And recently, British newspapers claimed that Radamel is demanding a ridiculous wage of 250k/wk. Over 5 years, that amounts to 65m! Now those numbers are probably exaggerated, but even if they are so, can we afford to make something like a 90m investment over five years or 18m per year?

To put that into perspective, last year, despite winning the CL and receiving a reported 47m as reward, we just about broke even and made a profit less than 1 million pounds. This year, however, our exit from the CL means that we will only be getting around 9m at best (I made a detailed post back in December about this which I can’t find right now). We’ve also invested heavily in the past summer in quite a lot of players, the most expensive of whom are Hazard (32m) and Oscar (25m), and whose fees we are likely to still be paying in the next couple of years since fees this big are usually divided along the contract period. Meaning, despite us adding some sponsorship deals last season like Gazprom and Subaru, our balance books are probably not very balanced atm.

Admittedly, most of those numbers are mere speculations and no one knows the exact numbers except for the club, itself. But considering the money we will need to be spending in the market on other players, I think it is fair to assume that we probably can’t sign Falcao and still be in EUFA and Platini’s good books in regards to FFP.

More logical options available:

Finally, and most importantly, there are plenty of other options on the market who have much better value for money and could do the required job at Chelsea.

Cavani is an option who is likely to work well at Chelsea. His price, however, is not much cheaper than Radamel. Leandowiski offers great value for money, and seems to be a favourite among the Chelsea fans. Other options include Wilfried Bony, Dzeko, Aspas..etc We should also remember that we have a 20yo striker on loan who’s found the net on thirteen occasions this season already.

So, to sum up, while Radamel Falcao maybe the most prized striker in the world right now, bringing him to Stamford Bridge, seem to me as one of the worst decisions we could make on many levels.

I think the question of "fitting in" is not about style. top class strikers in form whatever their style is score. They score from the chances they create for themselves as they do from the chances created by teammates. Sheva did so at milan, Torres did so at liveropool and drogba did so for us. What our players Mazacar+co do is create chances. They dribble to the goalline and make cutbacks, work the ball through the channels or give vertical passes. Of all these sorts of services Falcao does score. It is not that he only scores from crosses. He scores headers, tap ins, curlers form distance, solo dribblings etc. His rather direct style might not be perfect for Mazard, but we could work that out. The far bigger problem is form. Shevchenko and torres surely would have succeeded here no matter their style if they had recovered their previous form. It is not theat they did not have enough chances (which would mean they would not "fit in"). No they had shitloads of chances, the problem was they were not physically or mentally in the right shape to take enough of these. Nonetheless. If we pay paying 50m for a striker he should be PERFECT for us. But that has nothing to do with him failing here or not.

Not sure about that 9m. According to my calculations we would receive 16.36m € for winning the EL.

but i agree, the main reason for rejecting Falcao is the financiial component. this deal would cost the club about 100m incl wages for 5 years. He is 27 and whether success here or not would have no resell value. he also is no Fernando Torres in terms of shirt sales. Our beloved ladyboy at least has refinanced himself through shirtsales already.

Ba+Lukaku probably will not suffice as striking options but there are far better options in terms of cost-benefit-ratio as you've pointed out, even though Dzeko and Bony are too similar to Ba+Lukaku IMO

In his short time here, despite starting most games on the bench, he has managed to score 5 goals and get involved in many others. He is nothing like Torres and time will prove that. So yeah, I stand by what I said in December, a decent striker like Ba, can easily reach 30 goals in all competitions in a season. But what's even more important is that he will hold up play and link up with the midfield which will create spaces for the likes of Mata and Hazard. That's all we need, imo. We don't need a world-class striker to challenge for tittles because our team should be centered around our attacking midfielder.

there are plenty of options but then again, there is the problem of finding quality converted forwards. Anelka is one of a kind who can go from playing up-front to playing on the wing the next week but there are not many with the right attributes to do both. Daniel Sturridge was one we could mould but now who is out there?

In an ideal world, we would have signed Suarez back in 2011

edit: to sign a natural forward, think the club will have to loan Lukaku out again - Lukaku/Ba/Torres will be hefty backup. in the event that Lukaku is 2nd choice, i'd have no problem but i can see the sense in getting a converted forward to rotate with Lukaku/Ba

Manchester United struck gold with Hernandez. Never will we get such a decent 4th choice striker, Will have to come from academy/young import

About Lukaku, the odds of him totally failing at Chelsea are like zero, this is because, even if he has a bad game, he still has the physique (that wont go away) and mentallity to go for it, and if he's out of form he's the kind of guy that will just start working harder on the field to make up for it.

Next to this, as you couldve seen in our last game, we have more use for a striker with high workrate/works for the team with movement off the ball(keeping defenders buzy for mazacar) than someone who will hold the ball long/starts shooting on the goal from impossible angles, make some awesome goal now and then and what not. Also some say we need a targetman with good technique to help us in our linkup play, you should really check out how often we use our ST to link up while we counter...

Lewandowski and Lukaku would both suit our style perfectly imo, but i just cant see us signing Lewy unfortunately!

Bayern are ahead of us i think. They'll want a striker because Mandzukic, while surprisingly good, is not world-class and Gomez is showing his true colors this season. slight chance of Lewa rejecting Bayern out of respect to Dortmund? doesn't happen much in Bundesliga. Best players jump-ship to Bayern but can't be too pessimistic - Lewandowski might want to go outside Germany. England is an attractive destination and Chelsea will be the leading club in England as City and United are stocked up on forwards while chances of Spurs/Arsenal/Liverpool signing him are...wait..BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA

there are plenty of options but then again, there is the problem of finding quality converted forwards. Anelka is one of a kind who can go from playing up-front to playing on the wing the next week but there are not many with the right attributes to do both. Daniel Sturridge was one we could mould but now who is out there?

In an ideal world, we would have signed Suarez back in 2011

edit: to sign a natural forward, think the club will have to loan Lukaku out again - Lukaku/Ba/Torres will be hefty backup. in the event that Lukaku is 2nd choice, i'd have no problem but i can see the sense in getting a converted forward to rotate with Lukaku/Ba

Manchester United struck gold with Hernandez. Never will we get such a decent 4th choice striker, Will have to come from academy/young import

Borini could of been our 4th choice striker...