Lewis Baker

Stats

Surprised there is no thread for Baker on the youth team profiles. 2nd year scholar and is a permanent fixture in the U21 side. Excellent with both feet, like Cazorla. Has scored quite a few this season. Highly regarded at the club and a very versatile player. Should be one for the future. A loan move beckons for him soon I reckon. Has improved massively this season and has a made a step up to reserve team football. You will not know which foot he is ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Lewis Baker has scored 14 goals from 29 appearances this season. Last season he only managed 5 goals, with 4 coming from the spot. He has made the step up to a higher and while scoring some from the spot an equal amount has come from open play. That is dedication for you. Has improved massively this season and has got into the England U19 squad applr.gif

I'm sorry but I just can't see him making it here. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic talent that will undoubtedly become a very good player, possibly even in a PL club. But he's almost the same age as McEachran, Ake and Chalobah. The chances of him making it ahead of them is unfortunately low, imho. If I'm honest, I have higher hopes for RLC and Boga who are technically better.

I'm sorry but I just can't see him making it here. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic talent that will undoubtedly become a very good player, possibly even in a PL club. But he's almost the same age as McEachran, Ake and Chalobah. The chances of him making it ahead of them is unfortunately low, imho. If I'm honest, I have higher hopes for RLC and Boga who are technically better.

It all depends on how he continues to develop. If carries on as he is, then eventually he's going to stake a claim for a first team spot. He's also 2/3 years younger than Mceachran. Too early to write him off, especially given his rapid progress this season

But he's almost the same age as McEachran, Ake and Chalobah

Sorry, that is not a valid reason to write anyone off. Especially when that person is 17. He's come leaps and bound this year and has clearly been one of our standout players if not the standout player this season in the NextGen Series.

Also how you think because Boga and RLC are technically better (which again is very arguable, Baker is excellent technically, especially his passing and shooting) that they stand a better chance of making it is quite laughable IMO. You only have to look at our own Kakuta to see that football isn't all about how good your technical skills are. Baker seems to have the mentality, leadership traits, more than decent technical attributes and physical attributes to make it as a top player if he keeps progressing the way he is at this very moment. Captain of his team & 14 goals in 29 games is no joke, especially from midfield.

He's the one that drives the team when they're down, he's done that time and time again in the NextGen tournament.

Sorry, that is not a valid reason to write anyone off. Especially when that person is 17. He's come leaps and bound this year and has clearly been one of our standout players if not the standout player this season in the NextGen Series.

Also how you think because Boga and RLC are technically better (which again is very arguable, Baker is excellent technically, especially his passing and shooting) that they stand a better chance of making it is quite laughable IMO. You only have to look at our own Kakuta to see that football isn't all about how good your technical skills are. Baker seems to have the mentality, leadership traits, more than decent technical attributes and physical attributes to make it as a top player if he keeps progressing the way he is at this very moment. Captain of his team & 14 goals in 29 games is no joke, especially from midfield.

He's the one that drives the team when they're down, he's done that time and time again in the NextGen tournament.

I know I'm swimming against the flow here, but I just think Chalobah, McEachran and RLC have the attributes to step-up and do better when they make the transition to senior football. Guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...