The Midfield Dilemma

Strike

Deep-lying Playmaker  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which DLP would you like to see in our midfield next season?

• Joao Moutinho - He rejected Spurs. I like that in a player
    • Luka Modric - Premier League experience is vital
    • Beñat Extebarria - Value for money
    • Josh McEachran - Promote the academy products!
    • DLP's are overrated. We need to sign Fellaini

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benat has a 16.2 mil release clause and contract expires in 2014. should be cheap

as for josh, i'd like to have a senior option along with Josh. he should get a chance for sure but I'd like to see a DLP signing nonetheless

Firstly he has 16m release clause in his contract secondly he will be out of contract in 2014 so no way will betis ask 25m for him.

ah I didn't know that so yes it would be good to have him. Only thing is we'll most probably have stiff competition from other clubs

Lots of choices, but let mind that all the players from Moutinho, Modric, Witsel, Strootman, Benat,...are less good defensively than Rambo and perhaps then a new DM or CB would be necessary too. Modric-Mikel sounds good, but Capoue, De Rossi, Wanyama would be more solid in defence.

Also Moutinho plays 4:3:3 in Portugal and Porto (along Fernandinho-Lucho and Veloso-Meireles)

Also it depends on manager. If we will play possesion football, Moutinho would be good, but for counter attacking football with letting ball and controll to opponent, we are screwed...

Besided Moutinho might get exhausted in PL, this isnt Portugal league afterall. No matter his run engine, PL will defo kill him a bit. Modric lacks tacking ability while Benat isnt experienced in european competition and you need very calm and experienced midfield general to lead you through CL. Strootman is most complete as he is stronger and has both attacking/defensive skills, but he is relatively unexperienced.

I hope next coach will have good plan and will get proper players, cuz its quite a gamble between all those players. CM, DM, CB, striker,...

My no.1 pick would be Sebastian Rode of Frankfurt. All action midfielder, excellent energy, variation in his passing and understands his tactical role. More than capable defensively. James McCarthy of Wigan is also severely underrated and a better option than the likes of Benat.

As for Mikel's position, there are numerous players that would be considered an upgrade. Morgan Schneiderlin/Lars Bender/Maxime Gonalons are all better players, and more suited to this system.

I would of gone for Modric as he is an excellent player and I would of like to see him here but he is going to be at Real next season for certain. There should be an option saying 'none of these options at all' as I prefer we promote KDB to this role. We don't always need to buy to replace players who we have got capable of playing in a certain position but are not being given times to prove themselves. So DLP I would like to see here is not on the poll, but I say KDB.

Standard!

We should regard our squad situation in midfield for next season in the bigger picture. We will rather recall KDB than Josh who will probably get another loan, so it will leave us with KDB and Rami in CM and Romeu and Mikel as defensive midfielders. Not enough in quality and not enough in quantity. Apart from a DLP we should also buy another holding midfielder. Even though Mikel was great yesterday IMO, we can not rely on him and his stalling development, We should buy s.o. like Capoue, even though Moutinho's defensive abilites hopefully make up for Mikel's lack of running.

We should regard our squad situation in midfield for next season in the bigger picture. We will rather recall KDB than Josh who will probably get another loan, so it will leave us with KDB and Rami in CM and Romeu and Mikel as defensive midfielders. Not enough in quality and not enough in quantity. Apart from a DLP we should also buy another holding midfielder. Even though Mikel was great yesterday IMO, we can not rely on him and his stalling development, We should buy s.o. like Capoue, even though Moutinho's defensive abilites hopefully make up for Mikel's lack of running.

We'll overload with mids then. already have Mikel, Ramires, Romeu...Also signing Capoue-esque DM will stall Chalobah's progress at the club and he has had a fine season in the Championship. maybe 1 PL loan away from first team

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCzK_vZE5cg

what do people think of fernando reges of porto? he can control the middle of the park by himself , forms a brick wall in front of the defense and is good on the ball

i also really like fernandinho of shaktar

My favourite as become Gundogan, just the perfect DLP. Moutinho is my 2nd candidate. I can see Mourinho go for one of them if he comes here, one is Portouges and the other is German/Turkish which looks like Jose liked in Madrid... but I think overall Gundogan is better and more talented (only 22).

My favourite as become Gundogan, just the perfect DLP. Moutinho is my 2nd candidate. I can see Mourinho go for one of them if he comes here, one is Portouges and the other is German/Turkish which looks like Jose liked in Madrid... but I think overall Gundogan is better and more talented (only 22).

Definitely. Looks a good playmaker and coming from Dortmund you know he plays with intensity. That's one thing we need to move towards, a high-tempo game. I hate this slow, ponderous crap that we play.