Dream Football League?

Milan

Qatar's plans for Dream Football League could see English clubs offered £175m to compete

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/9926412/Qatars-plans-for-Dream-Football-League-could-see-English-clubs-offered-175m-to-compete.html

Four English clubs will reportedly be offered £175 million each to play in a 24-team 'Dream Football League' in Qatar and other Gulf countries in 2015.

Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea are among the game's aristocrats targeted by the Qatari organisers, whose astonishing plan could redraw the world football map if it gains support.

The sums dwarf those available in the Champions League, which has an annual prize fund of £595 million. Chelsea won £47.3 million for winning last season's competition. The Qatari plans would see them earn four times that amount just for accepting an invitation to compete.

The plans, which will be formally released next month, will see the four Premier League teams invited to join the 16 "permanent" DFL members. Eight other global clubs would then compete on an invitational basis. According to The Times, the DFL would take place over two years, and would be held in the summer in Qatar and neighbouring Gulf states like Bahrain and the UAE.

Neither the Premier League, Uefa, or the powerful European Clubs Association have yet responded to the proposals.

Although it remains unlikely that football's existing power structure would tear up its calendar, the money on offer is stratospheric. And it must be remembered that Qatar were considered rank outsiders before they won the rights to host the 2022 Fifa World Cup.

Untitled-1_2507860a.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sounds like a literal club world cup - which I wouldn't actually be opposed to. Let's just not have top-flight football for one season and have one big fucking knockout tournament! :D:lol:

Sounds like an exciting idea but it would never be ratified by FIFA. It would basically demean the entire competitive pyramid of national football for a couple of years.

Every 2 years could be an issue as the euro's/world cup would occur and there would literally be no break. Sounds pretty cool though... 175 mil sounds tasty... :D

They are saying it will start from 2015, so it will be the odd years, 2015, 2017, 2019 and so on. That way it wouldn't clash with the World Cups and Euro Championships.

It's a good idea. I just can't see it happening though.

The idea is good and I would very much like to see it happen, but there are a few issues. First, how will it fit the schedule? All the domestic league and cup games require a lot of endurance, adding such a dream league to the mix would drain the players even more, hence inevitably the quality of the games will drop because of fatigue (just look at Mata to see the difference between a fatigued player and a rested one).

Secondly, giving such insane money just for participating is extremely unfair towards other clubs. The differences in revenue between top clubs and others are massive, this would only broaden the gap and make domestic leagues less competitive.

And now, the most important part.......... NO LIVERPOOL HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

At first I thought this was a stupid idea and I was like :rant::wank2:

Then I saw the amount of money on offer and I was all :o:o:o:yay::yay::yay::yay: :tophat: :tophat: :getin::getin::getin::getin:

Then I noticed Spurs and Liverpool hadn't been considered and I went :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah there is ot much truth in the story but imagine...

With Qatari money clubs could stick one finger up to the corrupt UEFA/FIFA bitches, their incompetent/bribed refs, silly rules and benefitting of Spanish clubs/disadvantaging British clubs. This would give a whole new dimension to the nowadays rigid structures of football, but would also accelerate the commercialization and globalisation of football. clubs could become nothing more than global franchises and had nothing to do with their local origin anymore. But I guess no one will stop that anyway, so getting rid of these corrupt basterds like Blatter and Platini

It's made up and it makes no sense. Just paying the teams would cost 4.2B pounds never mind actually putting the tournament on... What's the point for Qatar? And for teams? Top players are already playing 50-60 games a year. There's no room for more playing time. A 24-team league means 46 games for every team which is an entire new season. Where is the time for that even? I don't know how anyone ever took this nonsense seriously.

It makes absolutely no sense. FIFA and UEFA will never let this happen. And the players have already ridiculous schedules to follow. It would make things very boring tbh, every other team in the world would have absolutely no chance of competing with the amount of money the top 24 European teams would be making...

I am totally against it, and this comes from a fan of a benefited team!

NO! The money award seems nice and all, but this would take time in summer right? That means no rest for players. Also getting 200mio would put big clubs even more ahead smaller clubs. Thats just shit. Whatever those arabs think but money is not all. Ever since money came to PL, the quality decreased, english players prices went sky high (actualy all players prices went sky high). There are huge minuses amongst european clubs and and this competitio would only make things worse for smaller clubs and prices for players would even increase. 20 years ago, Ronaldo would cost 10 mio. Now he costs 100 and in 2020 he would be 200. Someone like Bosingwa or Kalou would then cost 40mio+. Ridiculous but it will happen if the money will rule football like that. Keep that dream league for your dreams qatar!