test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ja1

Belgium NT

Started by ja1,

1,077 posts in this topic

ja1, on 08 Mar 2013 - 08:22, said:

Don't Belgium use Alderweireld at RB?

Either him or Gillet (anderlecht). Boyata and Odoi (flopped at anderlecht eventually) were tried as well.

The only real quality option Belgium really has in that position is Anthony Vandenborre imo. Player I really like. How he rolled up the Spanish right flank was a real testimony of his abilities. Unfortunately he has had difficulties in making the right decisions. He was always destined for greatness but it was not an easy road as if often goes for such players. Hope to see him revive his career at anderlecht now, bit of a last chance. At the age of 25 he's already really experienced actually.

I think key for him is to focus on the right back position. Yes he can also play in midfield but the difference he make as an attacking wing back is really significant. He just needs a coach that also convinces him of this.

Would like to see these teams atm:

Out:

Courtois

Alderweireld -- Kompany -- Vertonghen -- Lombaerts

Witsel -- Dembele

Fellaini

Hazard -- Lukaku -- De Bruyne

With clear instructions for Hazard and De Bruyne who should both be allowed to cut inside or take a central position. All midfield players can play any postion so a lot of movement and taking over of positions should happen. In general however the team should be allowed to sit deep and look for quick breaks when they gain possession, something which can be done very effectively with Witsel and Dembele. If they can control possession they should of course do so.

I drop Vermaelen because he's never really convinced and I like Lombaerts better. Lombaerts central and Vertonghen leftback could be a better choice but I am just very very impressed by Vertonghen atm.

Home:

Alderweireld -- Kompany -- Vertonghen -- Lombaerts

Witsel

Fellaini -- De Bruyne

Hazard -- Benteke -- Lukaku

Not completely sure about this but it may work. This team must be very difficult to defend against at set pieces and crosses. The team will need to be dominant of course and control possession. It is possible Dembele offers a better option in that regard but I really miss efficiency in his game; the scoring ability of Fellaini is not be underestimated. Benteke in this scenario drops back often with Lukaku or Hazard using the space in his back, making the most of the crisp passing by De Bruyne.

Alternatively, Dembele can still play from the left, although he's not used in that position anymore at Spurs. I still like him in that position though.

Mertens and Mirallas are really players for the bench. With their enthusiasm and commitment they make for ideal substitutes. Nacer Chadli (Twente) will be an interesting to watch. Bit too often injured the last two seasons but he did have some great games with Belgium and if fit, he's definitely one of the options to start on the right or left wing.

That awkward moment if we fail to qualify...

I'm seeing them making into the semis by defeating the mighty germany

Well but it'd be awkward if they make the finals and lose to Brazil ^__^

I have to say I have a special fondness for all the Belgium players, just something about them I can't put a finger on. Maybe the fact that so many seem bursting with potential. Anyway, I will be very excited to keep up with this national team.

Backstreet09 and Stingray like this

Lots of people seem to like what Leekens and Wilmots did/do for the NT when I look at the formations/players they used.

I would prefer these formations :

Away :

4-4-2 formation, focused on counterattacking in a direct style

- De Bruyne and Chadli on the wings for their directness

- Pace/strength/heading skills up front with Lukaku/Benteke for obvious reasons

- De Bock a true leftback for the counterattacks, I would have preferred a true back on the right but good luck finding one who is capable enough

- Defour & Dembele in front of the defence to break up play for a quick counterattack.

------------------------Courtois--------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
Alderweireld - Kompany - Vertonghen - De Bock
------------------Defour------Dembele----------------
---------------------------------------------
-----------Chadli--------------------De Bruyne--------
-----------------Lukaku------Benteke------------------
Home :
Experimental 3-5-2, possession footbal with a lot of players with outstanding defensive cover, a needed poacher up front.
- Kompany and Lombaerts on the side positions at CB because you need every bit of extra defensive quality you can get, Vertonghen isn't good enough for that especially when that position has to cover for the lack of De Bruyne's defending.
- Triangle of Defour, Dembele & Fellaini in midfield, good luck getting through that. Either one of those 3 has the luxuary of going up top while the other 2 cover.
- Witsel on the rightwing for his defensive covering instead of a true winger. De Bruyne on the other side isn't optimal but with Dembele ( the beast ) close to him it should be enough.
- Vossen together with Benteke because they can play well together and in this setup I need to have a poacher for when they park the bus.
------------------------Courtois--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
------Kompany - Vertonghen -Lombaerts-
--------------Defour-------Dembele-------------
Witsel-------------Fellaini---------De Bruyne
---------------Vossen------------------------------
-----------------------Benteke---------------------
I guess I have some explaining to do on some players.
Hazard : He's not direct enough for these setups, he's a great player but he just doesn't fit in my system.
Mertens : Well he's a mini-Hazard so guess what :)
Vermaelen : I don't think this needs much explanation, he's been one of the worst EPL players this season, having an absolute mare.
Mirallas : He's just WAY too wasteful and somehow he's allowed to set cornerkicks for Belgium and Everton despite massively sucking at it, boggles my mind.
Defour : Has basically only had bad games for the NT but I believe he would thrive again in these formations. For the 4-4-2 I prefer him over Witsel and Fellaini because he's a lot directer than both of them. He's perhaps my most questionable choice yes but I believe in him.
ps: anyone putting Dembele out of the center midfield/defensive midfield position is nuts, he's an absolute beast dare I say the best enforcer there currently is ? If he isn't already he will be.

Like leekens? No way...

Ciman/Vanbuyten over Vermaelen/Vertonghen/Alderweireld?

Dembele as 10? While we have Hazard/De Bruyne?? Heck even Witsel is a better 10, as you said Dembele is a great player, but he would slow the game down way to much as a 10.

Leekens had just no clue. He also played with 2 friggin holding midfielders, even with Simons...

Tiwaz and Stingray like this

I'm banking on a Brazil-Belgium final in 2014.

From my external viewpoint(not Belgian) I would play:

Courtois

Alderwiereld Vermaelan Kompany Vertonghen

KDB Witsel Dembele

Mertens Lukaku Hazard

To me that defence just looks very solid on paper. Going forward I've not much idea on Alderwiereld who plays CB when I've seen Ajax but Vertonghen is a good footballer, adept at going forward as well.

Maybe cheating a bit with Witsel as a DM, who's looked better as a CM whenever I've seen him, but too good to leave out. Massive fans of KDB and Dembele. Not so big a fan of Fellaini.

Lukaku and Hazard kind of pick themselves. I chose Mertens but that position is kind of up for grabs. Could be him, Mirallas, Chadli, or maybe some younger players who could well be up there by 2014 like little Hazard, Bruno and Praet.

Mundaka likes this

Belgium - Scotland 2-0

That game in Belgium, we were so bad. Our best chances came from freekicks, which to be fair, one of them was actually a pretty decent chance because Thibaut made a really good save from one but still a bad performance everywhere. Still will be funny when we manage to win the group and qualify and then beat everyone and win the cup ;) Charlie 'fatboy' Adam top goalscorer with 49 goals.

Mundaka likes this

Great to see you have such a confidence in our team, but reaching the finals will be difficult i think, although we will have the advantage of surprise prolly, but our avg age will be around 24 then, which is very young for an international team, our lack of experience may be a problem against the big teams like spain, germany, england,... but yeh who knows, if our keyplayers are really in top-form anything can be possible.We do are lucky our defence is quite mature allready (+ most of them played lots of games in top-teams allready so thats great), but im afraid we will be too inconsistent to reach the finals in such a tournament.

I do would bet on us for EC 2016 and WC 2018 ;)

Same for Brazil really.. although they can combine experience and talent more than we can do at the moment. But Brazil vs Belgium would be a joy to watch :).

And well i will already happy if we qualify , been since 2002 we could. Where we were unfairly beaten by , guess again, Brazil ;), Wilmots (our current coach) scored around 35th minute but it was called a foul while it wasn't, imagine our "crappy" side (they had loads of determination tho) beating future WC champions...

But well you gotta accept smaller sides will always have the disadvantage with referee's.

But well you gotta accept smaller sides will always have the disadvantage with referee's.

That was sad .... Big rip off!

I actually cried in ' 90when Platt scored though, sooooo undeserved. I really cried that day

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=QtqiBAg2biw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQtqiBAg2biw&gl=NL

Hamilton and Mundaka like this

Courtois

KDB Witsel Dembele

Mertens Lukaku Hazard

To me that defence just looks very solid on paper. Going forward I've not much idea on Alderwiereld who plays CB when I've seen Ajax but Vertonghen is a good footballer, adept at going forward as well.

Maybe cheating a bit with Witsel as a DM, who's looked better as a CM whenever I've seen him, but too good to leave out. Massive fans of KDB and Dembele. Not so big a fan of Fellaini.

Lukaku and Hazard kind of pick themselves. I chose Mertens but that position is kind of up for grabs. Could be him, Mirallas, Chadli, or maybe some younger players who could well be up there by 2014 like little Hazard, Bruno and Praet.

Witsel has actually been playing DM for Belgium since Wilmots took over... and hes doing it really well, it convinced me DM is actually his best position. I agree with you on Fellaini. overrated player and does not really fit in Belgium's tactics.

Didnt see that one, was only 2 :)

But yeh we are quite unlucky in tournaments, in EC 72 and 80 you had the friggin overpowered West Germany side (with Gerd Muller n stuff) we ended 3th and 2nd, whom won nearly everything that decennium or Maradona's side @ WC Mexico 86 (4th).

That was our first good period internationally, let this one be more succesfull, with hopefully a title :).

Witsel has actually been playing DM for Belgium since Wilmots took over... and hes doing it really well, it convinced me DM is actually his best position. I agree with you on Fellaini. overrated player and does not really fit in Belgium's tactics.

Yeh he doesnt really fit our side also because we have witsel (whom is well, awesome and can do everything) but in any european team (except spain and germany perhaps) he would be a starter tho, heck even for us we might should consider him as our striker depending on Lukaku & Benteke's form/evolution. And lol if anything he's underrated :).

Or like this for example, quoting myself now:

--------------------------- Courtois-----------------------------

----------- Kompany - Vermaelen - Vertonghen ----------

------------------------- Dembele-----------------------------

-----------------Witsel-----KDB-----Nainggolan--------------

----------------------------Hazard-------------------------------

---------------------Fellaini ----Lukaku-------------------------

Kinda a lineup where everyone plays on his favorite (or close to) position with almost all of our best players. (+ no need for backs ;)) Our only weakness would be teams playing the Netherlands 4-3-3 in my opinion, but not many play like that. (Almost non anymore)

Courtois

KDB Witsel Dembele

Mertens Lukaku Hazard

Your lineup seems very good bro

I sure hope Wilmots saw Vertonghens performance yesterday.... was a perfect game both in offence and defence. 9.4 stat at whoscored.com (and has an average of 7.5), he should really become our regular cv next to Kompany so they can get used to it for Brazil. And rotate between vermaelen/lombaerts/real left back for our left back position atm.

Weckerz likes this