Spike

Wow! You actually saw the Sex Pistols live?! :fainthv9:

Do you think Punk promised more than it delivered in terms of change?

Pistols later 1996, not the original tour !

I think like all do- it -yourself autonomous counter cultures , they get hijacked and corporatised, so that capitalism can make money out of it. Be it free festivals, rave culture or punk -the authorities cant stand people getting together and organising something on their own away from the mainstream that isnt controlled. The next thing you have managers, promoters, and people taking away the spirit of the thing just to make money out of it. Thats what happened to punk.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

@Choulo -how did you get into punk ? Youre in Lebanon right ?

Wow, this reply is literally more than a month old! :lol: Sorry mate, I just saw your post.

Yes, I'm (unfortunately) Lebanese. I got into Punk just like I got into all the western music I like: by learning about it through the internet mostly. I imagine that is nothing like actually experiencing first hand..

The reason I came into the thread was to ask: Do you think that Punk has to be associated with a certain political view? Because almost all the Punk bands (at least the ones that I know) that have made political songs have expressed a mostly ant-imperialistic opinion. Most have also attacked blind patriotism and western policies of colonization and neocolonialism:

Would love to hear your say on this FB since (I think) you have a degree in political science.

Wow, this reply is literally more than a month old! :lol: Sorry mate, I just saw your post.

Yes, I'm (unfortunately) Lebanese. I got into Punk just like I got into all the western music I like: by learning about it through the internet mostly. I imagine that is nothing like actually experiencing first hand..

The reason I came into the thread was to ask: Do you think that Punk has to be associated with a certain political view? Because almost all the Punk bands (at least the ones that I know) that have made political songs have expressed a mostly ant-imperialistic opinion. Most have also attacked blind patriotism and western policies of colonization and neocolonialism:

Would love to hear your say on this FB since (I think) you have a degree in political science.

Yes it was associated witha certain political viewpoint, ranging from a nihilist, anti-religion, anarchistic, with a mainly left of centre stance -although there were later right wing racist bands like Skrewdriver. One of the best books on this is called ' In the Fascist Bathroom' by Greil Marcus which covers the political zeitgeist of the time paralleled with all the bands of the late 70s erupting at that time

Yes it was associated witha certain political viewpoint, ranging from a nihilist, anti-religion, anarchistic, with a mainly left of centre stance -although there were later right wing racist bands like Skrewdriver. One of the best books on this is called ' In the Fascist Bathroom' by Greil Marcus which covers the political zeitgeist of the time paralleled with all the bands of the late 70s erupting at that time

Thanks. I very much doubt I can find that book here, but I'll definitely see if I can find it online.

• 2 months later...

On the Green Day debate, I don't consider anything they've dont in the 21st century as punk.

Im quite a fan of the 1039 album though

Love Rise Against, anybody bought (illegally downloaded) their long forgotten songs album(it's not an album but I don't know what to call it so I'm calling it an album because that's punk) yet?

Love Rise Against, anybody bought (illegally downloaded) their long forgotten songs album(it's not an album but I don't know what to call it so I'm calling it an album because that's punk) yet?

They're one of my favorite bands, but I'm still waiting for it to be available to be illegally downloaded somewhere :P

They're also working on a new album at the moment. I hope it's more The Sufferer & the Witness and less Endgame. I felt they moved away too much from their origins with the latter.

Speaking of Rise Against, this always gets me emotional:

Just came across this and thought you'd like to see it. It a 15min video with the members talking about "long Forgotten Songs" while some of the songs play in the back ground:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lamest thing I've heard since januzaj's nomination for young sports personality.

Clearly you haven't got a clue about punk and Blink 182.

If you think punk's about being signed to a huge label and making millions of dollars pumping out sugary pop-punk songs, then okay...