Graeme Le Saux

TorontoChelsea

Surprised there isn`t a thread for him. Excellent player for us playing mostly left-back (but sometimes left midfield). One of the only players I can think of that we bought back years after selling. One of the best left-backs in the Premier League for a few years. He was always attacked for being gay even though he was straight because he was well-spoken, educated, and thoughtful. That cunt Fowler (maybe my least favourite player ever) kept taunting him, but Le Saux got revenge by elbowing him the head (unseen by the ref). Anyway, here`s a video of him trying to recreate his fantastic goal for England against Brazil from the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2013/feb/04/graeme-le-saux-goal-brazil-video

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

- him talking on the 'gay' thing

You gotta feel sorry for him really. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him. Scousers and Fowler just showed what cunts they are.

- him talking on the 'gay' thing
You gotta feel sorry for him really. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him. Scousers and Fowler just showed what cunts they are.

Can you sum up in few sentences about it?

Can you sum up in few sentences about it?

He talks about the way he was treated by other fans (especially Liverpool fans) like they never stopped insulting him and calling him gay and even worse. Why gay? Because he was different from other players. However he is not gay so it was depressing for him.

Also, even players were rude to him, especially Ince or Fowler. So he talks about the way he wanted to defend himself, even if it meant insulting or punching them.

He talks about the way he was treated by other fans (especially Liverpool fans) like they never stopped insulting him and calling him gay and even worse. Why gay? Because he was different from other players. However he is not gay so it was depressing for him.

Also, even players were rude to him, especially Ince or Fowler. So he talks about the way he wanted to defend himself, even if it meant insulting or punching them.

How?

How?

He was wearing different clothes, he looked like a student, he was reading a different newspaper than his team mates in Chelsea who actually started it all. He was on holidays with other young Chelsea player and everyone was joking about it.

There was no thread for him?

I know he was a cunt and an asshole to his own teammates, but the man is an absolute Chelsea Legend and gave his heart out on the pitch. Easily goes in my Greatest all time back line. Proper Club Legend.

I'm not sure of how much of that is Le Saux's fault and how much was his teammates. It can be difficult to act intelligent and sophisticated in sporting environments because you're always seen as not "one of the guys". One of my favourite sports books is Ball Four about one baseball player's 1969 season. The writer was always seen as an outsider himself and he also recounts some funny anecdotes about one player who management didn't like because he had long hair and liked to read Dostoevsky. (The manager's favourite and almost only advice in all situations was "go pound some Budweiser".) I'm not saying athletes are mostly dumb, but there is a certain sort of jock chumminess that if you don't have, will get you disliked. Even at the relatively low levels of sports that I played, this was evident.