FA Youth Cup 2013

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chelsea booked their place in the FA Youth Cup final, beating Liverpool 2-1 at Stamford Bridge and 4-1 on aggregate.

They made a sluggish start to the semi-final second leg but goals from John Swift and the outstanding Nathan Ake meant they eased to victory.

Two down following Alex Kiwomya’s late goals at Anfield in last week’s first leg, Liverpool were hauled back into the tie by Kris Peterson’s early goal.

Peterson drifted in from the left and breezed past Ola Aina and Alex Davey before firing home.

But Chelsea, who will face Norwich in a two-legged final, hit back four minutes before half-time, with Swift starting and brilliantly finishing the move that led to the equaliser.

Swift sent Kiwomya away down the right and then met the resulting cross with a lovely side-footed finish from near the penalty spot.

Once Ake headed in Jeremie Boga’s right-wing corner at the near post seconds before the break, there was no way back for Liverpool.

To their credit, the visitors kept battling in the second half and went close to scoring when Jerome Sinclair’s effort struck the bar.

Blues skipper Lewis Baker also hit the bar with a late free-kick.

The first leg of the final is at Carrow Road on 29 April.

So.. am I the only one thinking that Davey is actually the brightest prospect in our youth ranks yet to play a senior game? He's a very no-nonsense defender. Reminds me of Shawcross before he became a maniac.

He's good, but the brightest prospect? I wouldn't say so.

So.. am I the only one thinking that Davey is actually the brightest prospect in our youth ranks yet to play a senior game? He's a very no-nonsense defender. Reminds me of Shawcross before he became a maniac.

I really like davey,He has always impressed me whenever i have watched him.It surprises me that there is no hype about him at all(maybe its a good thing).

Fantastic result for the lads who were superior in almost every position last night.

Ake looked absolutely fantastic on the ball and I think that's got a lot to do with confidence gained from his run in the first-team. So comfortable in possession and took his goal fantastically.

Aina looks a real prospect at right-back. Davey looked solid but I don't rate him quite as highly as others seem to. Loftus-Cheek just looked a level above their midfielders whilst Baker put in another solid display. Boga was Boga, cutting in from the left and nonchalantly gliding past players before being moved into a more central role when Swifty went off. Kiwomya should've had two goals and set up Swift's goal well will a nicely-timed run on the right wing before pulling it back into the perfect position. Feruz was wasteful but his workrate was absolutely phenomenal.

Got to give a special mention to Swifty though. I've always been a fan of his but he's never quite got the attention other players did. People were calling him Lampard-esque but his game is probably closer to Jack Cork's in terms of the positions he occupies and the amount of space he covers in a game. Could probably handle a loan to the Championship next season and with his workrate and technique he could surprise some people in games where he comes off the bench.

In the second-half we dominated them but were rather wasteful in front of goal. The academy deserves so much credit after this victory because their good work is so evident in everything the players do. Physically, they simply outlasted the opposition in the first-leg and that was the same tonight. They were first to the ball on so many occassions, their speed on the break was breathtaking at times and their strength on the ball was impressive.

Each player also looks so composed on the ball, so whilst some Liverpool fans might point to our players' physical attributes I think they also have to acknowledge that our passing and movement were on another level too.

The finishing was lacking, but what's impressive is that the players all seem to have been taught about the importance of hitting the corners of the goal. Feruz and Kiwomya were both unlucky to miss by a couple of inches, but some of the finishing seems so instinctual that it's encouraging for the future and on another day we'd have scored 3-4 more goals.

So all in all, a nice reminder of just how good the talent coming through is. One notable thing was that people were talking about the next set of youngsters coming through, specifically Musonda. It's amazing to think that we're now at a stage where we're not just excited about players breaking into the first team, but also players breaking into our Youth Cup team. Now we've just got to do the work in the final and from what I have heard this Liverpool team would've probably given the Norwich team a good run for their money.

Another great night for the academy and in particular Adi Viveash who deserves credit for his work with these kids.

Liverpool fans bang on about how their academy is the best in the country. Well we just taught their youth side a footballing lesson over two legs, at times in the first half our domination was ridiculous.

I don't think i've ever been so annoyed watching us beat Liverpool. The overall performance was fantastically good, absolutely awesome but the amount of chances missed, especially by Feruz was annoying to say the least. We should've scored 10 goals last night, no understatement at all. Some of the greediness and decision making was poor and we got a bit too cocky, arrogant, selfish and even a bit too individual. Liverpool got away with 4-1 because it shoulda been 12-3 over the 2 games.