Gianelli Imbula

TrippingStep

How do would you rate Xhaka? Heard some really promising things about him.

I think he's a fantastic talent. After a slow start at Gladbach, he's grown into a key player for them. Arguably their best player in a surprisingly succesful season for them. And already very experienced even though he's just 22. Though he remains unproven at the highest level of course.

He combines technical and tactical prowess with physicality. Height, body, fit (in terms of durability and little injury troubles), good in the air, aggressive. Though he really needs to work on that last part and become more effective when challenging for the ball. He's been picking up far too many yellow cards.

Very good passing range, good touch, comfortable on the ball and even capable of getting past a player. A dominant presence in midfield, he can really spray the ball around, and on a good day he's capable of bossing the centre of the pitch. He's also very good defensively, though he's not a true holding midfielder like Busquets or Matic. More in the Xabi Alonso mould if I had to pick a player to compare him with.

He's the type of player that would not just improve the squad, but also provide some real competition in the middle. Possibly a hidden gem looking at the lack of hype and his potential to become a starter. I would love for him to join.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im curious to know that if we'll get Imbula or someone like him, will he be our only new midfilder who plays centrally this summer, and by that i also mean a more attacking midfilder like Koke and Isco.

I guess Imbola will come in the place of Ramires/Mikel, and i think it leaves only one more place for another midfilder which probably will be an RW. Unless we sell someone (Cuadrado?).

He should come only if we sell Ramires. There is no need for two similar players who dont even have regular spot in this team.

Imbula is b2b and would not replace Mikel in any sense. He is nothing similar to holding midfielder, except that he is tall and quite strong. But that doesnt make you DM right away. He can play next to Matic like he plays next to Romao in Marseille, but he cant be the lone DM next to Cesc for example. Just doesnt have the positioning sense and loves to go forward alot. Plus his talent would be massively wasted as DM unless you want Mikel 2.0.

He should come only if we sell Ramires. There is no need for two similar players who dont even have regular spot in this team.

Imbula is b2b and would not replace Mikel in any sense. He is nothing similar to holding midfielder, except that he is tall and quite strong. But that doesnt make you DM right away. He can play next to Matic like he plays next to Romao in Marseille, but he cant be the lone DM next to Cesc for example. Just doesnt have the positioning sense and loves to go forward alot. Plus his talent would be massively wasted as DM unless you want Mikel 2.0.

So you dont think he can take the DM role in case Matic cant play?

From what i've seen from him i think he can. If he "loves to go forward", its something that a manager can tell him not to do when he plays instead of Matic.. a player is not a robot that do the same things over and over with no transformations. And especially when he's 22 years old, his positioniong can be improved if its a real problem. In Marseille i saw him this season a few times playing the lone DM role, they played something weird like 3-3-3-1, when he's the only central midfielder (Romao played one of the 3 CBs). So its not new to him.

I agree that its not his best position though.

In the best formation with him (probably be used in big games) we'll play with Matic as the DM, Imbula as Box to Box, and Cesc as #10/DLP. Im still questioning if its good enough to go forword. I think everyone of us would like to see a more established CM next to matic and Cesc, someone that without a doubt could take our midfield to the next level. But if Imbula comes we need to get it from him (unless Oscar or Willian will play the #10 role in a satisfying way to Mourinho in any kind of game).

So you dont think he can take the DM role in case Matic cant play?

From what i've seen from him i think he can. If he "loves to go forward", its something that a manager can tell him not to do when he plays instead of Matic.. a player is not a robot that do the same things over and over with no transformations. And especially when he's 22 years old, his positioniong can be improved if its a real problem. In Marseille i saw him this season a few times playing the lone DM role, they played something weird like 3-3-3-1, when he's the only central midfielder (Romao played one of the 3 CBs). So its not new to him.

I agree that its not his best position though.

In the best formation with him (probably be used in big games) we'll play with Matic as the DM, Imbula as Box to Box, and Cesc as #10/DLP. Im still questioning if its good enough to go forword. I think everyone of us would like to see a more established CM next to matic and Cesc, someone that without a doubt could take our midfield to the next level. But if Imbula comes we need to get it from him (unless Oscar or Willian will play the #10 role in a satisfying way to Mourinho in any kind of game).

Well I havent seen him that much, but from what I did, he has way too much talent to be DM. He is something similar to Yaya when he goes forward and dribbles. He doesnt score much though. But neither did Yaya back in Monaco days.

Imbula could most probably play as DM and he did play DM in past, but I dont think thats his best position or ability. He seems to enjoy to play more with the ball rather than just destroy opponent play.

And finaly, he is a talent, not finished product, I dont think he would just step in our team and boss it like Essien did. Far from that. But he has potential to be quite good. However I wouldnt buy him for holding mid here. Either use him as b2b or dont buy him at all.

If we plan to sell Mikel and Ramires for some reason, we should target a top CM and Imbula as b2b. Mourinho will want someone to instantly improve us and I dont think Imbula is that guy. More like one for the future like Zouma.

Well I havent seen him that much, but from what I did, he has way too much talent to be DM. He is something similar to Yaya when he goes forward and dribbles. He doesnt score much though. But neither did Yaya back in Monaco days.

Imbula could most probably play as DM and he did play DM in past, but I dont think thats his best position or ability. He seems to enjoy to play more with the ball rather than just destroy opponent play.

And finaly, he is a talent, not finished product, I dont think he would just step in our team and boss it like Essien did. Far from that. But he has potential to be quite good. However I wouldnt buy him for holding mid here. Either use him as b2b or dont buy him at all.

If we plan to sell Mikel and Ramires for some reason, we should target a top CM and Imbula as b2b. Mourinho will want someone to instantly improve us and I dont think Imbula is that guy. More like one for the future like Zouma.

You can't just diminish the DM role by saying he has too much talent for it.

If anyone watches Ligue 1 regularly can you tell me about kondogbia, how come we're not interested? how does Imbula compare to him? he impressed me a lot in the CL.

kondgobia is a smashing player hes reminds me of young yaya toure the way he runs at players

If anyone watches Ligue 1 regularly can you tell me about kondogbia, how come we're not interested? how does Imbula compare to him? he impressed me a lot in the CL.

Quality footballer but I would assume the reasons would be: because he'd be more expensive (Monaco paid around £20M or so for him I think and have no reason to sell so would demand a higher price), he's probably not happy to sit on the bench for large portions of the time and his wages would be astronomical. He signed for Monaco in their boom period remember and therefore is likely on more than 100k per week.

• 3 weeks later...

Implying that Valencia need or want to sell their players these days.

You are right. But if we want Andre Gomes or someone else from Valencia, we will get him for the price.

Therefore if someone of "top" clubs will want Imbula, they will get them.

Thing is Valencia as you said is now owned by Lim and they dont need much money. That will make players like Gomes or Imbula even more expensive because they wont need to sell. Pay our price or leave. Unless players force transfer...

Valencia is building good project, but I doubt they will be able to keep their best players.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You