Ramadel Falcao, Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Edison Cavani: Do they fit the needs of Chelsea FC?

OneMoSalah

So we are now basically at the halfway point in the Premier League season and once again Chelsea's number 9, Fernando Torres, has been under intense scrutiny again. He has shown flashes of his old self during his 2 and a half year stint at Chelsea but he has also cut a frustrated figure most of the time. Since his record breaking 50 million pounds move on deadline day in January 2011, he has struggled to recreate that form that made him one of the most feared strikers in Europe. The days when he was scoring 20-30 goals a season seem to have gone, memories of that fresh faced superstar in the making scoring that decisive goal against Germany in the Euro 2008 final, has vanished. He has continued to be included in the Spanish national team for their 2010 World Cup success in South Africa and their 2012 European championship success in Poland and Ukraine despite playing nowhere near the level he was before. The likes of Roberto Soldado, Fernando Llorente and Alvaro Negredo must be wondering why they haven't been called up or used more frequently with Torres' poor inconsistent form of the last 2 and a half years along with club mate Daniel Sturridge at Chelsea who must be wondering what has he got to do to play.

There have been many rumors or excuses if you may call them that stating why, one of these is that he couldn't play as well at Chelsea as at Liverpool because he wasn't seen as the star striker in the manager’s eyes as he was in Merseyside. Chelsea's strike force already contained Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka, two experienced forwards who complimented each other very well. They also had promising youngster Daniel Sturridge on their books who was loaned to Bolton before Torres arrived. So ok maybe people had a point, maybe because he wasn't the star striker, he couldn't play as well. In the summer of 2012, club legend Didier Drogba (who was his main competition for the central striking position - Andre Villas-Boas offloaded Nicolas Anelka and used Daniel Sturridge as a right winger), didn't renew his contract with the Blues after their historic Champions League win in Munich.

Torres was given another chance to see if he could reproduce his form from a few seasons ago as the main man so to speak, more due to Roman Abramovich's perseverance for Torres to succeed, having poured 50 million pounds into his signing, rather than Roberto Di Matteo's preference in not bringing in another striker who was Atletico Madrid's record breaking signing Radamel Falcao. Half a season in and things have changed, Rafa Benitez is now Chelsea coach, Chelsea have failed in many of the 7 competitions they were in at the start of the season but one thing hasn't changed: Fernando Torres is still performing quite poorly - despite scoring more goals this season - so with January coming up surely a striker must be top of Rafa Benitez/Roman Abramovich's list if the team is to fulfill the potential it has.

There are multiple names linked with the Blues, as there always is, but the three that will be mentioned are more obvious choices due to Abramovich's preference in "big names": Atletico Madrids' Columbian goal machine Radamel Falcao is continually being linked with a move having first being linked in 2011 when his former boss Andre Villas-Boas was at the helm. He scored a hattrick against the Blues in the UEFA super cup and has apparently agreed a deal to move there in January if you want to believe it.

Another player who has been repeatedly linked with Chelsea in the last few seasons, is Napoli's well sought after front man Edison Cavani, Chelsea know what he can do having seen him shoot them down in Naples last season in a 3-1 loss to Napoli in the Champions League under Portuguese coach Andre Villas-Boas.

Schalke's Jan Klaas Huntelaar is also linked with multiple teams due to his contract expiring in the summer of 2013 and doesn't look like he will renew it but Chelsea will face competition from multiple teams for his signature, in fact they will for any of the three of the strikers.

Who out of the 3 would suit Chelsea and Roman Abramovich's "Barca in blue" dream?

Right now Torres isn't just performing a role of a traditional number 9, he is coming deep to get the ball to draw defenders out to allow goal scoring wingers Juan Mata and Eden Hazard to run into the space exposed by the centre backs. He is also offering a lot in general play; he’s averaging 1.1 key passes per game, linking up the midfield and frontline to try and bring the likes of Juan Mata, Eden Hazard, Ramires and Victor Moses or whoever is in the team into the game.

Right now for Schalke, Hunterlar seems to be playing the role of a poacher, usually running the 18 yard line and looking to pounce in the box from crosses/through balls from the likes of Affelay, Draxler, Farfan etc. It would be hard to imagine him as that sort of player coming deep to get the ball to link up play or take it past players when he’s not got a lethal injection of pace to get away from players or noted for having great dribbling ability. This season in the Bundesliga he has averaged 0.5 dribbles per game which is low compared to Torres' 1.3 per game in the Premier League, Lewandowski's 1.3 per game in the Bundesliga, Falcao's 0.8 dribbles per game in La Liga and Edison Cavani's 1.4 dribbles per game in Serie A.

Huntelaar is a big player though and excels at scoring with his head, left or right foot so he’d be an effective target man for Chelsea. Surely Rafa Benitez and the board will have him on their list as a good and cheaper alternative - even though Chelsea haven't been scared to spend big in the past - in case they don’t get their main targets. Would he be first choice at a club like Chelsea? Surely not, especially if the club keep Torres on but at least they'd have Huntelaar there in case of any injuries or suspensions. He'd be a very good back up at any club but would he leave Schalke right now, where he is first choice, to rot on a bench under a manager who brought the best out of Torres and could have just been appointed to revive his faltering career? He’s also nearing his 30th birthday so will he be a viable option at all for Chelsea? He is also struggling to score as many goals as he did last season, he's only scored 5 times this season in the Bundesliga, which is poor supposing he scored over 30 goals in all competitions last year.

Atleticos’ Falcao is a classy finisher; he makes good runs into space to give his team mates the opportunity to create a chance for him with a cross/through ball that they regularly look to provide him with. His movement is smart, in fact very smart, he always gets into goal scoring positions and rarely misses, be it with his head or his either foot which Chelsea fans wish they could have seen Torres do far more often. Falcao isn't as slow as Huntelaar but really isn't the sort of player you want coming out deep with his back to goal as he’s pretty ineffective there as he’s got to make a defender or midfielder give him a view of the goal. If you were a coach you'd prefer to see Falcao making movement off the ball to open up the chance to be found with a pass or cross so he can get a clear shot rather than coming deep for the ball to link the play up. He’s not useless coming deep to get the ball as he’s a decent enough dribbler but he’s the sort of player you want closer to the opponents goal as when the targets in sight, he rarely misses, which the 17 goals in La Liga so far proves. Falcao has an incredible conversion rate of 36.2%, which is superior to Chelsea's current number 9's 21.4 % conversation rate and many other top strikers in Europe.

39c43837ed8bc5a404083a422d4b0d66.png

When Atletico bought him for they did put themselves in a bit of a financial conundrum. Atletico were struggling to pay debts and apparently signed Falcao with money they didn't have but if they are to sell him in Janaury - which apparently they have agreed to more or less as there is strong rumors Falcao will move to Chelsea - they will look to recoup a profit as they aren't getting money from the Europa League due to the Financial fair play rules that have been introduced. Both Real Madrid and Barcelona are interested in him but apparently he said if he moved to Real Madrid that he would fear for his families’ safety due to the rivalry between Atletico and Real. Barcelona also prefers to promote youth players if they can rather than buy for high inflated prices as they have done before. Manchester City also has a strong interest in him as do Chelsea, so if a move was on the cards it would be between those two clubs due to their financial muscle. City’s strike force already is incredible though, it contains Sergio Aguero, former of Atletico Madrid himself, Italian international Mario Balotelli (who boss Roberto Mancini seems to be running out of patience with), Argentine Carlos Tevez and the Bosnian Edin Dzeko. An impressive group of strikers, unlike Chelsea’s thread bear strike force which only contains Spaniard Fernando Torres and rookie Daniel Sturridge.

Surely a move to the Bridge would appeal to Falcao as he’d realistically have much more of a chance to play there than at Man City. He also has his peak years ahead of him which will make him a much more attractive option than Huntelaar to Chelsea or City if they decide to bid for him.

Ideally, Napoli's Uruguayan Edinson Cavani would suit the role better, as he possesses pace, strength, good ability to keep the ball when under pressure due to impressive close control and effective link up the play like Torres (he’s created 15 chances this season, 14 key passes and 1 assist but Chelsea’s current number 9 has created 18 chances, 17 key passes and 1 assist). Cavani also has a great shot from distance and has scored screamers from outside the box so he'd always be a threat picking the ball up with his back to goal, turning a defender and then unleashing a shot, which you can’t really say the same about Falcao or Huntelaar.

ca099831d11729a1dbc38ebb1b4b04cd.png?135

He’s also able to play as a winger, not just down the middle so he offers variation as he has the pace and skill to get beyond people and make things happen for his team. He possesses a superior conversation rate to Torres (22.6%) scoring 12 goals from 61 shots so far in Serie A, showing he isn't shy to shoot unlike Torres who seems to be scared of the goal. One problem is that Napoli's chairman has repeatedly stated that Cavani would not be sold cheaply no matter what, so any potential suitors could be forced to pay an extravagant fee, maybe in the bracket of 40-50 million euros, maybe more.

Manchester City have also been linked with Cavani for a few seasons and they would provide heavy competition for him despite having an extremely talented strike force already, also Arsenal and Liverpool hold an interest in him but they aren't in the same financial league as City or Chelsea so they would probably struggle to meet Napoli's high demands. Cavani is only 25 so even though he has an incredible goal scoring record already surely he’d only improve even more so he would also be more appealing than Huntelaar not just due to his outstanding all round ability but also his age and potential resale value if Chelsea ever decided to sell him.

Whether Chelsea will make a move for any of these strikers it remains to be seen. There are also other strikers linked with the London based club. Vitesse’s strong and powerful in form Ivorian striker Wilfried Bony is apparently a target due to his impressive form in Holland, scoring 16 goals in 17 games, putting Vitesse in 4th place. Also Borussia Dortmund’s star striker Robert Lewandowski, who has scored 10 goals in 16 games in the Bundesliga so far this season, is believed to be a target due to his impressive overall play and goal record at the German club. Also Barcelona’s David Villa is a target for a lot of teams due to his unhappiness at not being used by Tito Vilonova, he has scored goals through out his whole career and would also be a brilliant option if he can recreate such form that made him the best striker on the planet at one point. Hes about to be 31 though which would make him a stop gap option more than anything else at a club like Chelsea, as they seem to be looking towards the future with such signings like Eden Hazard, Oscar, Victor Moses, Cesar Azpilicueta, Thibaut Courtois, Romelu Lukaku and Juan Mata.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for not contributing much here... but Barca are linked with Falcao? I really can't see much truth in that. :blink:

Apparently yes haha. Its like them with Neymar, I don't think he'll go there as he'd cost them an arm and a leg and a penis and another leg.

Apparently yes haha. Its like them with Neymar, I don't think he'll go there as he'd cost them an arm and a leg and a penis and another leg.

Falcao isn't exactly versatile as to where he can play and we all know he's not going to win his place over Messi. Plus there is the money issue, like you said.

There have been rumours of Barca signing Llorente as another option if they need to change their play for a game their having difficulties in, but Llorente wouldn't cost €60M. I can't see Barca signing Falcao as a back-up plan. Also, his passing isn't the best. And they already have David Villa who can't even make it into the starting 11 for most games.

This is possibly the most bizarre transfer rumour I've heard in a while.

Leave the three of them, especially Huntelaar.

Cavani is one i think would definitely work in the team, but now coming to think of his price, it might not actually be worth it and could even be too much pressure. Cavani seems happy at Napoli and if that's the case may aswell just leave it.

Falcao seems to be just a poacher to me, obviously with a lot more than just someone like Hernandez (who is the most one dimensional poacher in the world). Goal scorers have never worked in this team, I'm talking about the poaching type, tell me when a goal poacher did work in Roman Era?. I think big signings for us are always going to be difficult, and now with the whole Torres situation i think it's going to be a problem with strikers from now on when we sign them for big cash. I think we are going to have to work up a real good one, buy a good striker who works with the team and can score goals.

Look at Luis Suarez for Liverpool, yeah you can call him a prick but he's one of the most skillfull players in the league, and although he's missed a lot of sitters he also manages to score some too, dirty player but you do get results out of him. Van Persie best striker in the league for me, Rooney a very good team player with high work rate CRUCIAL to United system (and them only may i add). I don't really need to bring up Man City's options do i?, they have 4 world class strikers i would say, and yes i do rate Balotelli. Though we need that player who will benefit our way of playing, i think what we need rather than a goal poacher who is going to score goals from what?, there's not exactly a great deal of creativity is there, not till a season at least anyway. I think an allround forward with a nice amount of work rate, rather than a forward with flair, i would prefer a more phsyical forward as we seem to lack height at the top. I would like a clever striker just like Drogba was, who opened up gaps for the whole team and allowed others to score around him, rather than just sitting up front all day and wanting a cross or through ball.

1. Best Big game player = falcao

2. Best Aerial advantage = cavani

3. Best Link up player = lewandoski

4. Best Finisher = falcao

5. Best goal ratio = falcao

6. Most versatile = cavani

7. Best strength = cavani and falcao

8. Best speed = lewandoski and falcao

9. Best poacher = falcao

10. Best long range shooter = cavani

11. Best passer = lewandoski

12. Best movement in the box = falcao

13. Best movement outside box = lewandoski

Winner? ;)

1. Best Big game player = falcao

2. Best Aerial advantage = cavani

3. Best Link up player = lewandoski

4. Best Finisher = falcao

5. Best goal ratio = falcao

6. Most versatile = cavani

7. Best strength = cavani and falcao

8. Best speed = lewandoski and falcao

9. Best poacher = falcao

10. Best long range shooter = cavani

11. Best passer = lewandoski

12. Best movement in the box = falcao

13. Best movement outside box = lewandoski

Winner? ;)

Nice way to pick out attributes of the players. I only wish it was that simple however. I think the main thing is, who is going to fit into the team and who isn't?.

I would take Lewandowski. Great finisher, great all-round player, great off the ball movement and can link up with play very well. And he's proven in the Bundesliga, which is similar to the EPL in a lot of ways.

Of course, all of that is assuming Dortmund would accept a bid and he would want to sign for us.

I would take Lewandowski. Great finisher, great all-round player, great off the ball movement and can link up with play very well. And he's proven in the Bundesliga, which is similar to the EPL in a lot of ways.

Of course, all of that is assuming Dortmund would accept a bid and he would want to sign for us.

Dortmund are going to sell him in summer, he won't renew his deal so that could make him attainable for maybe just about 20 million but only in the summer I'd imagine as the January transfer window is usually full of inflated prices.

i think Jelavic is better than Torres. stats aside, how many times have we seen torres run at the defenders and lose the ball? how many times have we seen the playmakers put the ball in to see Torres fail to attack it? Jelavic is an instinctive striker who lurks on the shoulder of the defenders and ALWAYS attacks the ball when crossed.

we need a better striker but i don't necessarily agree with those saying we need it in January. the summer , when we have a permanent manager, is the best time to rebuild the squad according to the manager's plans and not Gourlay's, Emenalo's or Roman's

i think Jelavic is better than Torres. stats aside, how many times have we seen torres run at the defenders and lose the ball? how many times have we seen the playmakers put the ball in to see Torres fail to attack it? Jelavic is an instinctive striker who lurks on the shoulder of the defenders and ALWAYS attacks the ball when crossed.

we need a better striker but i don't necessarily agree with those saying we need it in January. the summer , when we have a permanent manager, is the best time to rebuild the squad according to the manager's plans and not Gourlay's, Emenalo's or Roman's

Yeah we need an instinctive striker but right now I think Jelavic is suffering from second season syndrome as is Cisse at Newcastle. In all honesty, the transfers will only be agreed by the manager if the coach is Pep or maybe even Mourinho but apart from that it seems very very slim that any other coach will get a major say.

lewandowski has a contract only till 2014 and it doesn't look like he's renewing. this summer he's available. We need to get him. 15 mil should do it