Zakaria Bakkali

How is this possible?

I mean for years our players were average at best,last few years we are making future world class players.

It all started with kompany, then we got the likes of hazard, kdb, lukaku,vertonghen,courtois and so many more and now this guy pop up.

Rly our NT was like number 70 in the world,was utter shit if you ask me and we sky rocketed to top 10 of the world and there's no end to it in the future.

Is there some explonation fir this?

Better youth development in Belgium itself inspired by our neighbours ( the prime example being the Dutch) in which there is much more emphasis is on technique and enjoying football than on tactics and winning for one, especially for the younger ages.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is this possible?

I mean for years our players were average at best,last few years we are making future world class players.

It all started with kompany, then we got the likes of hazard, kdb, lukaku,vertonghen,courtois and so many more and now this guy pop up.

Rly our NT was like number 70 in the world,was utter shit if you ask me and we sky rocketed to top 10 of the world and there's no end to it in the future.

Is there some explonation fir this?

While I do agree with you and we've had a big increase in talented players for the last 5 years, I do sometimes regret the amount of times and posts fellow Belgians on here make about our national team. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. And this isn't aimed at you directly (more at all the Belgian posters on TalkChelsea).

I do like the increase of talent in our NT we have had the last few years, and yes there are a few more talented youngsters just sticking their head out of the water for the last few months like this guy or Januzaj but I somehow feel this is still a Chelsea forum and not a Belgian NT forum. And we don't want to over-glorify every new young talent either, I feel. Don't know who said it (so again, not aiming this directly at you) but lately I've been reading on here that Praet or Tielemans are Chelsea-quality. I'm not saying they're not (well actually I am, but hear me out): they aren't yet. That's what I'm saying. And that's not a very big 'yet'. They're talented, they might become Chelsea-quality, but they aren't yet and might never be (more likely I feel). But enough about Praet or Tielemans, this discussion is about Bakkali. And he's good. Big talent. Chelsea quality? Don't know. Wouldn't want to place money on it. But he's playing very well and if he keeps this form up or keeps improving like he has the last year, who knows?

To give you an example, remember Dries Mertens form at the beginning of last season? Played for PSV as well. Try looking up the statistics of his first few matches (first 5?). He broke some records then as well. And although I like Mertens (a lot), I wouldn't call him Chelsea quality. Very excited about his transfer to Napoli though. Have been watching his preseason.

But don't get me wrong, as a fellow Belgian off course I am excited about our squad as well. There're just better places to discuss that, I feel.

No hard feelings! :yes:

So which clubs are after him?

Manchester City were after him back when he was playing for the youth of Standard Liège in Belgium. That was at the same time PSV was interested and got his signature. I seem to remember other teams were interested too but can't recall which teams.

I'll back up the City interested with a link, just give me a minute :)

So which clubs are after him?

Apart from the Dutch articles with are easy to find, here's an English one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2060132/Manchester-City-keen-PSV-Eindhovens-Zakaria-Bakkali.html

It's from the Daily Fail though. But shows you City were interested back in 2011, but they lost the race for him against PSV.

More recently, rumours have been coming up about again. Now that he's playing first team football since preseason he has seen a lot more of the spotlight, and hence teams have seen a lot more from him.

Regardless of the level of the Dutch league compared to others, scoring a hattrick at the age of 17 is astonishing. Clear talent. Not the worse of leagues and only just turned 17 which is the frightening thing. Hope he stays at PSV though so he can fully develop. Going to be some player for sure. Got a tough choice though out of Holland and Belgium and possibly but doubt it, Morocco.

Regardless of the level of the Dutch league compared to others, scoring a hattrick at the age of 17 is astonishing. Clear talent. Not the worse of leagues and only just turned 17 which is the frightening thing. Hope he stays at PSV though so he can fully develop. Going to be some player for sure. Got a tough choice though out of Holland and Belgium and possibly but doubt it, Morocco.

It'll be between Belgium and Morocco. He's never hinted he'd like to play for Holland, even though he's eligible to choose them now I think.

IMO would be a completely wrong move to move to us or City. Can see why it will be luring for him but he is playing regular football for PSV who are in European football and you never know may beat Milan. He should continue to stay there for at least another 1-2 years then evaluate his options. Amazing talent though and was called up for the Belgium team against France but unfortunately got injured. We will definitely hear more about him as the season and years go on.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You