Christian Benteke

Tomo

What a year does is crazy. This time last year, so many fans would probably have wanted him when he was at Villa. I recall a few people on here wanting him and majority of people stated he was better than Lukaku etc but one bad season changes everything. I mean look at the quote from a member here. Several people liked this post. Nothing wrong with it, because Benteke was top class at Villa however now everyone's perception is that he is not good enough. Yes, he has been poor at Liverpool but let's face facts, he does not suit Klopp's style of play and generally Liverpool did not get the best out of him. He still scored a respectable amount of goals for a player who regularly was benched.

That being said, I don't think we should go for him. Just amazes me how people's perception change of a player so drastically.

On 08/05/2015 at 8:58 PM, LukakutoStamford said:

I know I know as Belgian this will come off as being a homer, but I think people are severely under rating Benteke. We don't know his ceiling because the best service he has had has been at Villa (excepting of course the Belgian NT) As a main striker at Chelsea I think he'd score between 20-25 goals. One of his great properties is that he has carried Villa for many game which would relieve pressure from Eden from carrying the burden. Plus he has excellent chemistry with Eden..

Who else is a realistic target to come in to either be 1 or 2 striker? There's not much out there that isn't vastly overpriced or unproven.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that the rumor is true, but this actually makes sense, at least to me.

If we are going to play with 2 strikers under Conte (which I REALLY hope is the case) we are going to need one of them to be a big player who can be the focal point of the attack, like Benteke.

Seems to me like we have really dropped our standards if we sign Benteke.He's a big guy who could score a lot of goals in the right team, but I just don't see this guy leading our line as we compete for a Premiership or European title. A mid table team would be perfect for him..................Oh wait!!!!!!!!!! Shit, we are a mid table team :drunk:

20 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

If we are going to play with 2 strikers under Conte (which I REALLY hope is the case) we are going to need one of them to be a big player who can be the focal point of the attack, like Benteke.

Who's going to cross it to him? Willian, maybe, I guess. Hazard with his opposite foot? That's not his game. Azpi either.

I don't see how Benteke would suit us at all. Especially not together with Diego.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Who's going to cross it to him? Willian, maybe, I guess. Hazard with his opposite foot? That's not his game. Azpi either.

I don't see how Benteke would suit us at all. Especially not together with Diego.

Didn't necessarily mean to cross to inside the box, but more someone for the other striker to play off. Diego doesn't AT ALL have the aerial nor the ball retention abilities to play that role. 

What a year does is crazy. This time last year, so many fans would probably have wanted him when he was at Villa. I recall a few people on here wanting him and majority of people stated he was better than Lukaku etc but one bad season changes everything. I mean look at the quote from a member here. Several people liked this post. Nothing wrong with it, because Benteke was top class at Villa however now everyone's perception is that he is not good enough. Yes, he has been poor at Liverpool but let's face facts, he does not suit Klopp's style of play and generally Liverpool did not get the best out of him. He still scored a respectable amount of goals for a player who regularly was benched.

That being said, I don't think we should go for him. Just amazes me how people's perception change of a player so drastically.

A mate told me that after Jose decided not to go after one of Eden's best friends he fucked us on purpose.

Just for the lolz. [emoji4]

Anyway you do have a point there.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

15 hours ago, bellion said:

If the fee is less than 20 million pounds, I can see this happening as it reflects the Board's policy of signing 3rd rate players and expect world class results.

Your posts are always on point. :cig:

16 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

While it would make sense to get a player with an aerial presence to pair up with Costa i just don't see how we'd be able to keep a solid defensive shape with the rest of the remaining 8 field players, which would include both Hazard and Fabregas.

1 of them with 3 other hard working players could work but both of them ? No way. Hazard doesn't have the engine to keep going up and down that line while Fabregas can't cover the ground he'd need to cover if it was just three of them.

If we do play a 2 striker system i can only see it working if Hazard is one of the 2 strikers and Fabregas is surrounded by players who are able to cover  alot of ground.

20 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

While it would make sense to get a player with an aerial presence to pair up with Costa i just don't see how we'd be able to keep a solid defensive shape with the rest of the remaining 8 field players, which would include both Hazard and Fabregas.

1 of them with 3 other hard working players could work but both of them ? No way. Hazard doesn't have the engine to keep going up and down that line while Fabregas can't cover the ground he'd need to cover if it was just three of them.

If we do play a 2 striker system i can only see it working if Hazard is one of the 2 strikers and Fabregas is surrounded by players who are able to cover  alot of ground.

Honestly? I don't see Hazard lasting too long under Conte...unless he is willing to sacrifice part of his attacking game. You can argue that would be bad for the team but I think that is how Conte would act.

And I don't think Hazard can play the second striker role, if anything that role would require a player with a bigger defensive work-rate than a winger because for a modern 4-4-2 to work the second striker must be willing to drop back and prevent the midfielders from being outnumbered. Tevez and Rooney play that role ideally, but I think Costa can do it too. If he can do it as well, then we can probably afford a Cesc in midfield.

Of course, all of this is speculation as we don't have any clue as to what formation Conte has in mind. 

3 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Honestly? I don't see Hazard lasting too long under Conte...unless he is willing to sacrifice part of his attacking game. You can argue that would be bad for the team but I think that is how Conte would act.

And I don't think Hazard can play the second striker role, if anything that role would require a player with a bigger defensive work-rate than a winger because for a modern 4-4-2 to work the second striker must be willing to drop back and prevent the midfielders from being outnumbered. Tevez and Rooney play that role ideally, but I think Costa can do it too. If he can do it as well, then we can probably afford a Cesc in midfield.

Of course, all of this is speculation as we don't have any clue as to what formation Conte has in mind. 

I don't think so. I remember the same thing was said when Mourinho was confirmed as our manager.

People were also worried that Hazard would struggle under Mourinho because he wasn't a "Mourinho player" (high workrate) but Hazard ended up being a key player for Mourinho and played his best season under him.

Conte gets described as a manager that changes his formation to suit the players he has available so i doubt he's going to shoehorn Hazard into a role that would take away a large part of his attacking game next season.

Despite Hazard's poor season he's still our best attacking player in the squad. Pretty sure Conte would want to bring out the best rather then force him into a role that would limit his influence on our attacking game.

Ofcourse every player needs to work under Conte. Conte doesn't really seem to do free roles. Even as a striker Hazard would have to drop a bit deeper to like you say help out our midfielders so they don't get outnumbered but he could share that burden with Costa. (or maybe Costa could drop deep while Hazard stays higher)

I still think that the role of second striker is less taxing then as a wide midfielder. Wide midfielders have to drop deeper as fullbacks push up really high but DM's usually won't push up that high.

Even if they do, one of the fullbacks or one of the other midfielders would have to drop back to make sure they aren't playing man to man at the back. No team in the world plays man to man at the back.

Managers always make sure they have a spare player in case they lose the ball and get countered.  

Having said all that i actually believe a 4-3-3 would be better. 2 fullbacks pushing up high allowing Hazard and Willian to drift inside. 3 man midfield with a strong DM (Kante ?), Fabregas and a strong  box to box player (Nainggolan ?).

Like you say though pure speculation as we don't know what formation he actually wants to play.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You