Christian Benteke

Tomo

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32.5m for a backup striker (second or third choice) is already not worth it.

I wouldn't pay 32 million pounds for Benteke even if we didn't have any strikers. He is a good player, but I think he is like Rémy. He is okay, scores a couple of goals but not outstanding, not a world class player.

As much as I'd like him here, paying more for our backup striker than our first choice one would be silly.

Can't see Liverpool paying that much for him either unless they funded it by selling Sterling. With the amount of crosses that United smack across the box he'd be great in their team. They do need a striker too.

I wouldn't pay 32 million pounds for Benteke even if we didn't have any strikers. He is a good player, but I think he is like Rémy. He is okay, scores a couple of goals but not outstanding, not a world class player.

Many people thought the same when we signed Drogba.

While Drogba is one of a kind, Benteke (unlike Remy for example) is still young to improve much further.

At moment Benteke is not someone you would rely to win you CL or sth, but in few years he could develop nicely. He seems to have proper character and if there is manager that can bring him to next level its Jose.

That said, I would only get Benteke once we get primary targets first.

Many people thought the same when we signed Drogba.

Good point.

While Drogba is one of a kind, Benteke (unlike Remy for example) is still young to improve much further.

At moment Benteke is not someone you would rely to win you CL or sth, but in few years he could develop nicely. He seems to have proper character and if there is manager that can bring him to next level its Jose.

True, but we have Costa and Rémy, I don't think we should buy a 32 million pound striker.

As said it's too much money for a bench player. We operate with one striker, and a balance of Costa, Remy and someone like Austin would provide a good balance for me. Remy has done everything possible to be given a fair shot and should remain without doubt......

Wish : Chelsea sign a world class striker. Give 30 league apps each just like Crespo-Drogba.

Wouldnt mind seeing the diamond with two strikers again as i expect tougher-to-break-buses in the coming season.

32.5m for a backup striker (second or third choice) is already not worth it.

I'm not so sure about that. It is a bit of an overpayment but it does also keep Benteke away from our rivals while still giving us a great deal of tactical flexibility.

Costa, Benteke, Remy is an incredible strike force

I'm not so sure about that. It is a bit of an overpayment but it does also keep Benteke away from our rivals while still giving us a great deal of tactical flexibility.

Also to expand further, if there's one area Jose has always been up for rotating a lot it's the strike position.

He did it with Drogba and Gudjohnsen then Drogba and Crespo aswell as Benzema and Higuain very very effectively.

I would rather us not spend 32m+ for a striker that won't be first choice for us. Better off using at least half of that amount to strengthen other areas that need serious reinforcing.

Also to expand further, if there's one area Jose has always been up for rotating a lot it's the strike position.

He did it with Drogba and Gudjohnsen then Drogba and Crespo aswell as Benzema and Higuain very very effectively.

But on the other hand, he didn't really do much of that this season, did he? Stuck with Costa most of the time despite his hamstring problem. Only used Remy and/or Drogba when Costa is totally out injured.

I would rather us not spend 32m+ for a striker that won't be first choice for us. Better off using at least half of that amount to strengthen other areas that need serious reinforcing.

But on the other hand, he didn't really do much of that this season, did he? Stuck with Costa most of the time despite his hamstring problem. Only used Remy and/or Drogba when Costa is totally out injured.

I guess he just simply doesn't rate Remy on the level or as an equal to Costa like he did with the previous pair's I mentioned.

After all as much as he appreciates Remys value in the squad now, he clearly wasn't a planned signing and was initially signed because we needed a cheap striker with decent qualities on short notice as Fernando finally took the hint, if Blondie done one in June chances are we would have signed someone else.

I guess he just simply doesn't rate Remy on the level or as an equal to Costa like he did with the previous pair's I mentioned.

Not sure if that's the case considering his tendency not to rotate in other areas as well, sticking with the same players and flogging them to death.

After all as much as he appreciates Remys value in the squad now, he clearly wasn't a planned signing and was initially signed because we needed a cheap striker with decent qualities on short notice as Fernando finally took the hint, if Blondie done one in June chances are we would have signed someone else.

You have no way of telling that. If we can get a good quality striker as backup for just over 10m, why would you go and spend more than that to buy someone to be second/third choice? Besides, who could we have gotten for a decent price had Flopres gone earlier than he did?

Not sure if that's the case considering his tendency not to rotate in other areas as well, sticking with the same players and flogging them to death.

You have no way of telling that. If we can get a good quality striker as backup for just over 10m, why would you go and spend more than that to buy someone to be second/third choice? Besides, who could we have gotten for a decent price had Flopres gone earlier than he did?

God knows but there would have been more time to find who Jose wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it mentioned in the Summer Transfer Targets.

Not sure what to think of it. Bentekkers is obviously a good player but i'm not sure he'll be happy to be 3rd choice and I don't want us to spend too much on a 3rd choice ST...

EDIT: I guess he does offer something different to Diego and definitely Remy though.... Just don't know whether I like the idea or not... Very 50/50 on it.

Saw it mentioned in the Summer Transfer Targets.

Not sure what to think of it. Bentekkers is obviously a good player but i'm not sure he'll be happy to be 3rd choice and I don't want us to spend too much on a 3rd choice ST...

EDIT: I guess he does offer something different to Diego and definitely Remy though.... Just don't know whether I like the idea or not... Very 50/50 on it.

If we add Benteke I would imagine that bumps Remy back to 3rd. Then again I wouldn't even call it 2nd-3rd choice the more likely case would be we use the player who gives the game what it needs. If we need speed and poaching it will likely be Remy, if we need a target and an aerial presence its likely Benteke

If we add Benteke I would imagine that bumps Remy back to 3rd. Then again I wouldn't even call it 2nd-3rd choice the more likely case would be we use the player who gives the game what it needs. If we need speed and poaching it will likely be Remy, if we need a target and an aerial presence its likely Benteke

All true. Depends on the price though I guess. I'd much rather we spent money on a world class RW, a good backup GK if Cech is leaving and a backup for Matic though. They're more pressing concerns.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You