JDY

Fabio-Coentrao-fit-to-play-against-Villa

Club: Real Madrid

Date of birth: 11th March 1988 (24 years old)

Position: Left back

With the rumours that the club are willing to let Ashley Cole leave for free at the end of the season, no doubt speculation will mount over possible replacements in the summer. Whether Bertrand is ready to step up on a permanent basis still remains a question mark, so would it be wise to sign a top quality fullback, or stick with our current regime of signing top youth prospects, i.e. Lucas Digne. Not forgetting that PvA is still on loan at Vitesse, does a club like Chelsea need better fullbacks than Bertrand and PvA?

On to the player in question, Coentrão is arguably one of the best leftbacks in the world. In my opinion, only 2nd behind Marcelo (unfortunately for him). A very well rounded player, who's role for club and country tends to differ. Often seen marauding down the left for Portugal, displaying great attacking qualities in past international tournaments which hasn't gone unnoticed. In comparison to his role at Madrid, he is given less freedom to roam. Defensively he is superb and is often picked ahead of Marcelo against opponents who are strong down the flanks. He is also versatile and can double up with Marcelo down the left, cover at right fullback, and deputise in central midfield (Quite a bit last season).

The only real drawbacks are that he tends to have trouble with injuries, which could not be so bad if we have Bertrand waiting in the wings. I doubt Madrid would let him leave for anything below £20m, unless the player himself has expressed his desire to leave. Although there has been rumours recently of training ground rifts between the player and staff (according to Marca).

With the likelihood of Cole leaving seemingly high, I think this would be a good move for us and for him. Obviously we don't know who will be manager at the end of the season, but if all goes well and someone like Pep comes in, I think this would be a big possibility.

Thoughts on Coentrão?!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He cost Madrid €30 Million. I'm not sure if he is actually a viable option but I would gladly sign him.

Indeed, his price would be the only real sticking point, plus they have no reason to sell at this moment.

But if he get's unhappy at playing second fiddle to Marcelo then who knows.

Im sure Coentrao would join us and Real woukd sell as he wasnt 'that' at Rm. He seems to play much better for Portugal than Rm, maybe he doesnt suit them. Anything in range of 25mio would let him go, but we should give some chance to Ryan.

Well, if Cole leaves during the summer we're going to have to sign another left-back. I don't really think Bertrand is ready to be our first-choice left-back but I would happy take Coentrao and Bertrand as his back-up.

Would love him but...we're going to lose a lot of money this year (no C.L., high transfer costs already, amortization of past transfers, etc...) and you can get cheaper good players at LB than you can at our other need positions (striker or two, central midfield). We got Azpilecueta for 7M pounds. Jordi Alba cost about the same for Barca. The other thing to consider is that with Lampard, Cole, and Sturridge all looking likely to leave, Chelsea are going to be able to buy almost exclusively British players.I don't think Chelsea will ever hand the job over to Bertrand straight out, but they could do something like buying Luke Shaw and letting the two of them compete.

And just for fun, here is a whoscored.com article on some interesting young fullbacks. http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/yp0yhnuaceyeyvy7jtiviw/Show/Hot-Prospect-Scout-Five-Top-Young-Full-Backs

He already rejected us last summer to go to Madrid when AVB/the board tried signing him from Benfica (despite us offering the full release clause - 30 million euros cahs only - which was more than Madrid wanted to pay - 20 odd million euros plus Ezequiel Garay - which is why Benfica's board pushed for him to come here instead of Madrid). Also he looks extremely suspect defending tbh so no thanks. Hes great going forward though but thats because hes played a lot as a winger at Rio Ave due to being poor defensively. Basically hes the slightly better LB version of Bosingwa tbh. I'd rather we keep Cole or go for Marcelo (who according to Cole is the best LB in the world). Or Baines who is also a great LB.

Also his hair is a fucking mess, if he was to come here he'd have to sort that out. Fecking hippie.

:Goober:

FFP is ridiculous imo. Obviously someone whos going to pour loads of money into a club will realize the club will need to make money to pay off their debts. I would honestly love to meet Michel Platini, compliment him on how great a player he was then kick him in the nuts for passing this rule.

FFP is ridiculous imo. Obviously someone whos going to pour loads of money into a club will realize the club will need to make money to pay off their debts. I would honestly love to meet Michel Platini, compliment him on how great a player he was then kick him in the nuts for passing this rule.

Still, we now have a different way of doing things. Facts remain.

@TorontoChelsea, there are some good English players out there.

We could buy Baines and Walcott for LB and Att. We could even buy Wilshere just for fun!

OR.....We could keep Lampard and Cole FFS!

It's definitely not a viable option to keep Cole imo. We've made the mistake of keeping players past their prime before (Essien), let's not do it again.

I would prefer Baines cheaper and awesome crosser - him and Hazard on the left would be deadly :)

I reckon he'd be even more expensive! English + Cap for England + Play for his childhood club + Everton don't want to sell = Expensive as all hell!

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You