Dexter - CONTAINS SPOILERS

manpe

Rage. Please tell me the books end better then how the show did...

Wouldn't know because the book series is still ongoing. The seventh novel was released less than a week ago and I haven't yet read it as I still have the ASOIAF series to keep me busy for a while but as far as I know there's still more Dexter to come from Jeff Lindsay.

Disappointed with the ending of the show. All along I was hoping for the shit to hit the fan properly and Dexter to either be killed or end up in death row but the way it really ended was just pointless. Working as a fucking lumberjack presumably in Canada. I mean really, is that the best they could come up with?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn... awesome grand finale... poor deb...

for a moment i thought dexter was gonna do the dark knight rises thing when the screen goes to harrison and hannah in the coffee shop.

anyways gutted by the end. i would have prefered him dead than the exile.

Dexter was always shit compared to the likes of Breaking Bad anyway, it just started to get stupid and unrealistic. Honestly I watched that final episode and I was on here whilst doing it, I was barely even interested, even the Deb scene hardly moved me simply because this season has been awful.

Season 7 started to look a bit up, so I was expecting eason 8 to do the same but it was probably one of the worst seasons they've made, definitely right down there with season 5. I know for a fact when I'm watching the final of breaking bad on monday I'm going to put my headphones in, turn the lights off and going to get all shaky, and then be gutted that the show has ended. Whereas Dexter I was honestly half arsed about it, the only seasons I liked where season 1, 2 and 4. Even then I don't think it was a master piece, it's always been a bit over the top.

Dexter was all about entertainment, if you want to see a brilliant show with how good characters are portrayed and how they resemble another look in life watch shows like Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Game of thrones is a bit different but even that is really well done.

I was quite satisfied with the finale considering this season's standards and it actually moved me UNTIL they showed he somehow got to the shore and ended up as a depressed bearded lumberjack... yeah well, I would have preferred him dead. At least now we know why in the previous episode he mentioned the lifeboat, so we would know he didn't teleport to the shore on a stormy sea. At least his escape was more plausible than Batman's from the nuke blast.

The episode was the best of the season, the only one that made me feel anything. The season itself was rubbish. The show in general, despite all, was very good.

EDIT: I like how this guy on imdb put it

That was partially my feeling when I first saw it, but after some contemplation it's actually a wonderful, well-thought out ending IMO. Here's why:

1. Remember the first episode of S5? After Dexter's mistakes lead to Rita's death he leaves Miami and his family behind - but in the last minute he thinks that he's wrong and that they won't be better off without him. Then, once again, Dexter's mistakes and lifestyle leads to the death of someone he cared about - cementing that he was actually right - everyone are better off without him.

Despite seemingly manage to control his urges, Dexter told Saxon that they were still there. Had he joined Hannah/Harrison he could easily have gone back to killing again - and once again he'd make mistakes. Let's not forget that his shortcomings also almost got Astor and Cody burnt to death in S2 and got Harrison kidnapped and almost killed by a religious fanatic in S6. Not to mention that his father killed himself because of him. His very being endangers everyone near him, and he could not risk more people he loved getting hurt because of him.

The logic took a long time to truly sink in. Particularly as Harrison could only have a relationship with his brother and sister through Dexter - and it's a real questionmark as to whether or not Dexter made the right decision. He's made wrong decisions earlier, he may easily have made one now as well - but were he is emotionally, psychologically and logically is a position I can understand and which has a lot of data to back it up.

2. Structurally it ends at the exact opposite point as the beginning of the show. In the beginning he is a monster, seemingly without emotions, living a simple blissful life - at the end we see the man, filled with emotion living an empty life.

3. Not that I even tought shows should be about handing out justice to it's characters, but in a sense this is the worst punishment Dexter could ever have recieved, and it's selfimposed. He has lost the one person who had been the constant factor and light in his life, and he is all alone in his own exile where he will never escape the painful memory of everyone he hurt and lost. Death would have been too simple.

I was quite satisfied with the finale considering this season's standards and it actually moved me UNTIL they showed he somehow got to the shore and ended up as a depressed bearded lumberjack... yeah well, I would have preferred him dead. At least now we know why in the previous episode he mentioned the lifeboat, so we would know he didn't teleport to the shore on a stormy sea. At least his escape was more plausible than Batman's from the nuke blast.

The episode was the best of the season, the only one that made me feel anything. The season itself was rubbish. The show in general, despite all, was very good.

That was partially my feeling when I first saw it, but after some contemplation it's actually a wonderful, well-thought out ending IMO. Here's why:

1. Remember the first episode of S5? After Dexter's mistakes lead to Rita's death he leaves Miami and his family behind - but in the last minute he thinks that he's wrong and that they won't be better off without him. Then, once again, Dexter's mistakes and lifestyle leads to the death of someone he cared about - cementing that he was actually right - everyone are better off without him.

Despite seemingly manage to control his urges, Dexter told Saxon that they were still there. Had he joined Hannah/Harrison he could easily have gone back to killing again - and once again he'd make mistakes. Let's not forget that his shortcomings also almost got Astor and Cody burnt to death in S2 and got Harrison kidnapped and almost killed by a religious fanatic in S6. Not to mention that his father killed himself because of him. His very being endangers everyone near him, and he could not risk more people he loved getting hurt because of him.

The logic took a long time to truly sink in. Particularly as Harrison could only have a relationship with his brother and sister through Dexter - and it's a real questionmark as to whether or not Dexter made the right decision. He's made wrong decisions earlier, he may easily have made one now as well - but were he is emotionally, psychologically and logically is a position I can understand and which has a lot of data to back it up.

2. Structurally it ends at the exact opposite point as the beginning of the show. In the beginning he is a monster, seemingly without emotions, living a simple blissful life - at the end we see the man, filled with emotion living an empty life.

3. Not that I even tought shows should be about handing out justice to it's characters, but in a sense this is the worst punishment Dexter could ever have recieved, and it's selfimposed. He has lost the one person who had been the constant factor and light in his life, and he is all alone in his own exile where he will never escape the painful memory of everyone he hurt and lost. Death would have been too simple.

The show hardly backed themselves up in my opinion. It was stupidly unrealistic, and I don't understand the whole psychopath thing and the corny two psychopaths loving each other, the whole season was so cringe worthy.

They tried to make a great antagonist in Saxon yet none of us cared about him, the writers just didn't get it right, they didn't make it entertaining. I was browsing the Internet whilst watching the final, I wasn't really that bothered about it. Deb was extra annoying this season, I was happy when she died, her character didn't make any sense this season. And it's true Miami Metro really is the worst police department in the world, not one of them suspected Dexter or Deb for anything? Really? It was made pretty obvious yet they couldn't even see it.

But as for the Saxon character as I said earlier they didn't make it very good. Go back to BB and look at Jack and his crew, I want them to suffer for taking all that money and killing the people we loved on the show, Dexter tried to make us hate Saxon yet like you said to me, he's a murderer you don't care about. And to top off the cringe worthy season the whole Saxon and Vogel thing was one of the worst things I've seen in my life, like Jesus Christ, did a 9 year old come up with these ideas? She somehow has some random son who killed his brother and was put in a mental institution his whole life and now is planning revenge? Not an ounce of creativity in it, it was just horrible over exaggerated and boring story lines from start to finish.

The only antagonist I was ever impressed with on this show was Arthur Mitchel, besides that the other millions of serial killers have been over the top and boring.

The show hardly backed themselves up in my opinion. It was stupidly unrealistic, and I don't understand the whole psychopath thing and the corny two psychopaths loving each other, the whole season was so cringe worthy.

They tried to make a great antagonist in Saxon yet none of us cared about him, the writers just didn't get it right, they didn't make it entertaining. I was browsing the Internet whilst watching the final, I wasn't really that bothered about it. Deb was extra annoying this season, I was happy when she died, her character didn't make any sense this season. And it's true Miami Metro really is the worst police department in the world, not one of them suspected Dexter or Deb for anything? Really? It was made pretty obvious yet they couldn't even see it.

But as for the Saxon character as I said earlier they didn't make it very good. Go back to BB and look at Jack and his crew, I want them to suffer for taking all that money and killing the people we loved on the show, Dexter tried to make us hate Saxon yet like you said to me, he's a murderer you don't care about. And to top off the cringe worthy season the whole Saxon and Vogel thing was one of the worst things I've seen in my life, like Jesus Christ, did a 9 year old come up with these ideas? She somehow has some random son who killed his brother and was put in a mental institution his whole life and now is planning revenge? Not an ounce of creativity in it, it was just horrible over exaggerated and boring story lines from start to finish.

The only antagonist I was ever impressed with on this show was Arthur Mitchel, besides that the other millions of serial killers have been over the top and boring.

I know this season was horseshit. Im just saying the endgame wasnt as bad as I had feared. When they wrote this season they obviously knew how they wanted to end it, but they didnt exactly know how to get there. The idea of it ending the way it did was fine, though it would have been better if Dex had actually died and they had shown his body submerging under water and we see one of his victims float by, or a bunch of them just chillin at the bottom while Dexter joins them.

I was disappointed with the ending but after reading that review I also feel a bit more satisfied.

Although some how in my mind I always thought that Harrison would turn into the next dexter.

That dexter gets caught gets killed and Deborah being the protector of Harrison would teach him the code.

Something a long those lines.

But I guess that's a decent way to end the show........

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Botched the ending. worst season among the 8. And I thought the Doomsday season was bad enough.

Series had good run for about 4-5 seasons. Season 4 - trinity - was great.

In my opinion, the Trinity killer was the perfect anti-hero for the finale of the show. Too bad they thought about John Lithgow just a few years earlier than they should've.

• 2 months later...