Dexter - CONTAINS SPOILERS

manpe

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're ruining it with these teasers. They are supossed to give us a few details about what's going to happen next, but the teasers show LOTS of essential details. I'm not watching anything like that anymore.

Finally saw the end of season 7 looking forward to season 8. Will start at the weekend. It should finish really well, considering they only have 12 episodes and a lot of info to deal with. Should be able to end with a bang rather than a fizzle.

Interesting first episode for season 8. Considering I have not read the books I don't really know where they are going to take it from here.

I've read them all and I'm none the wiser. The first book was quite close to season one but after that they've both gone their separate ways.

Some of the differences, DO NOT read if you're planning to read the books sometime or otherwise don't want to know what goes on in the novels. Massive spoilers.

For example, in the book series Debra finds out Dexter's secret in the first novel and accepts him for who he is. Brian (Dexter's brother, the Ice Truck Killer) doesn't die and he is a minor character in the later books. Rita doesn't die either and her kids Astor and Cody are psychopaths like Dexter because their dad abused them when they were little and Dexter is raising them to follow Harry's code like he himself does. Also, one of the best characters Sergeant Doakes isn't framed for Dexter's murders or anything, he's just mutilated by the main villain in one of the books and he's now in a wheelchair or something and he's always chasing Dex.

Basically only a few main characters are the same but even then they have massive differences in their personalities etc. when comparing the books and the TV series. After the Ice Truck Killer case none of the storylines are the same and none of the characters introduced in later seasons of Dexter the TV series appear in the books.

I've read them all and I'm none the wiser. The first book was quite close to season one but after that they've both gone their separate ways.

Some of the differences, DO NOT read if you're planning to read the books sometime or otherwise don't want to know what goes on in the novels. Massive spoilers.

For example, in the book series Debra finds out Dexter's secret in the first novel and accepts him for who he is. Brian (Dexter's brother, the Ice Truck Killer) doesn't die and he is a minor character in the later books. Rita doesn't die either and her kids Astor and Cody are psychopaths like Dexter because their dad abused them when they were little and Dexter is raising them to follow Harry's code like he himself does. Also, one of the best characters Sergeant Doakes isn't framed for Dexter's murders or anything, he's just mutilated by the main villain in one of the books and he's now in a wheelchair or something and he's always chasing Dex.

Basically only a few main characters are the same but even then they have massive differences in their personalities etc. when comparing the books and the TV series. After the Ice Truck Killer case none of the storylines are the same and none of the characters introduced in later seasons of Dexter the TV series appear in the books.

Thats very interesting, didn't think it would be so different.

From what I did read in the first book Laguerta dies if I remember correctly. Didn't end up finishing it as my ex now has it :lol:

Thats very interesting, didn't think it would be so different.

From what I did read in the first book Laguerta dies if I remember correctly. Didn't end up finishing it as my ex now has it :lol:

If you read that far, you didn't miss much because LaGuerta dies in one of the last chapters of the book. ;)

But yeah, if you like the show I recommend you read all the books too. Lots of new storylines there.

S08E01 was great, but one thing bothers me - why put a former police lieutenant, who's appeared on TV and newspapers several times, undercover? Isn't it kinda risky to do that? And wtf, Harrison isn't mute?

I've also noticed that Deb's actress' acting has improved greatly compared to earlier seasons.

• 1 month later...

So this season has been going on for a while now, what are your thoughts?

I think that so far this season has been going nowhere. It is all over the place, subplot upon subplot, no distinguishable main plot which emphasizes "this is the final season, this is the end game". I mean how much time have they spent on Quinns sergeantship? Its totally pointless and contributes nothing, who cares about Quinn anyway? Not to mention it has been pretty boring. Many new characters who they are still introducing, even though it is the final season. I am really hoping they save the show by the end, but considering theres only some 6 eps left, thats half a season ruined already IMO.

I have a feeling theyve introduced all the villains (Hannah, Zach, potentially Vogel) so that we couldnt predict who will play the main part in taking down the Morgans, but for me, its not working. Its too bloated.

One more point: Dexter, the character, has become mind-numbingly boring imo. Get angry! Flip out! Dont be so fucking calm and moral all the time (and were supposed to believe hes a psychopath). And theyve completely neutered Masuka, such a shame. At least Harrison learned to talk, thats some progress (I am trying hard to praise this point while ignoring the fact that the scenes and dialogs with Harrison are the most fast-forwardable parts).

Also, I find this whole "Dexter was created" story bullshit. This changed my whole perspective on Dexter not in a positive way, that hes some kind of experiment by a mad doctor.

So this season has been going on for a while now, what are your thoughts?

I think that so far this season has been going nowhere. It is all over the place, subplot upon subplot, no distinguishable main plot which emphasizes "this is the final season, this is the end game". I mean how much time have they spent on Quinns sergeantship? Its totally pointless and contributes nothing, who cares about Quinn anyway? Not to mention it has been pretty boring. Many new characters who they are still introducing, even though it is the final season. I am really hoping they save the show by the end, but considering theres only some 6 eps left, thats half a season ruined already IMO.

I have a feeling theyve introduced all the villains (Hannah, Zach, potentially Vogel) so that we couldnt predict who will play the main part in taking down the Morgans, but for me, its not working. Its too bloated.

One more point: Dexter, the character, has become mind-numbingly boring imo. Get angry! Flip out! Dont be so fucking calm and moral all the time (and were supposed to believe hes a psychopath). And theyve completely neutered Masuka, such a shame. At least Harrison learned to talk, thats some progress (I am trying hard to praise this point while ignoring the fact that the scenes and dialogs with Harrison are the most fast-forwardable parts).

Also, I find this whole "Dexter was created" story bullshit. This changed my whole perspective on Dexter not in a positive way, that hes some kind of experiment by a mad doctor.

Dexter is usually like that, subplot after subplot, after each episode it makes you think that this is going to justify the season then the next episode something completely different happens instead.

I'm enjoying it, but that's just Dexter for me, I've never thought to highly of the show, I would never put it in the class of Breaking Bad or GOT, it's just an entertaining show.

For a while now I've had a feeling that the reason they focus so much on Quinn is because in the end he will be the one to catch the Morgans. He has started to spend more an more time with Dexter as a result of his relationship with Jamie as well as all the stuff that's been going on with Debra that it is somehow supposed to be a huge shock to everyone that he's the one to finally take them down. Or alternatively he's going to make the hard decision of letting them go and therefore miss out on the promotion too.

For me it's been a decent season so far. Not great like the first few seasons but not as bad as some people make it out to be.

• 3 weeks later...

After the last episode I have come to the point where I would welcome Travis Marshall and all the Doomsday jokers back. And only deep cosmic forces know how much I disliked season 6. I have little to no hope left that the final 3 episodes will redeem anything. Someday I will rewatch the first 4 seasons and remind myself how good this show was, it deserves recognition for when it still was Dexter.

• 2 weeks later...