Fernando Torres

This isn't a good ol' Torres bash, but I have a question (it's not rhetorical. It's a genuine question) -

How many winning goals has Fernando Torres, our main striker (the guy responsible for getting the goals) scored for us since joining?

Benfica; Leicester City; Genk

This isn't a good ol' Torres bash, but I have a question (it's not rhetorical. It's a genuine question) -

How many winning goals has Fernando Torres, our main striker (the guy responsible for getting the goals) scored for us since joining?

The answer is 1 against Swansea (where he later got sent off). As for games we wouldn't have won without Torres? I think probably the Benfica game where he assisted Kalou and generally played very well. The Barcelona goal sealed it and was Torres' best moment with Chelsea, but he could have walked to the corner with the ball and stood there and we still would have gone through. Other than that, his goals were in games where we either lost (ManU) or easily beat a poor opposition.

Er... in the Champs League final he came on, won the corner we scored from!

I think you have to see Torres 'live' - I never appreciated how hard he works 'off-camera' as well - you just don't see that on TV, but it was a noticeable effort, when I was at the Allianz-Arena...

He'll come good this year, injuries, lack of form, change of management and lack of creative players ALL haven't helped his cause! Look at Sheva, he's still a class player and showed that in the Euro's... We just need to play to our attackers 'strengths' not expect him to change his whole game to suit us - some change is needed, but the way we played, didn't give him the best opportunities - it was too slow and predictable and meant they could double up on him - or he had to come and get the ball instead of being played in behind a'la Spain + Liverpool... - go back and watch some highlights on YouTube - he's one of the best 'on the shoulder' attackers full stop...

The answer is 1 against Swansea (where he later got sent off). As for games we wouldn't have won without Torres? I think probably the Benfica game where he assisted Kalou and generally played very well. The Barcelona goal sealed it and was Torres' best moment with Chelsea, but he could have walked to the corner with the ball and stood there and we still would have gone through. Other than that, his goals were in games where we either lost (ManU) or easily beat a poor opposition.

No. He only scored 1 goal against Swansea, which was the first goal of that game and we won 4-1 in the end.

He's not a big game player. Used to be, not anymore.

He didn't really play a lot of big games last year. If he's on form and there are chances I don't think it'll matter if it's a big game or not, he will score. I think Nando's playing style cant change in respect to the magnitude of the match. He never was and never will be able to go next level in big games like Drogba did simply because his playing style doesn't allow it. Drogba has a lot more variety in his game compared to Torres, really to any striker of his era imo.

still with this Torres debate shit? damn, he is our #9 and our number one striker next year... lets back the guy... hes done nothing but make leaps and bounds the later half of this year...

and if he hasnt "produced" as much as we'd like we cant ignore the fact that this has been arguably chelsea's greatest season... AND el nino was in the squad and contributed... hahaha

i know this is "funny", but torres did just win the Golden Boot for a spain side who didnt want to play with a striker hahahaha

Torres and Mata next year = INCREDIBLE... Torres Mata and Hazard next year = :fainthv9:

lets just have some faith! enjoy this season... its going to be a great one!

come on nando! we still have faith... (no reason not to)

As for games we wouldn't have won without Torres?

Sunderland (i think) at home, his shot which hit the woodwork and came back out resulted in the winner for Lampard. Just like against Wigan, but this time Mata scored.

Wolves away, he played Cole through before he passed to Lampard for the winner. Aston Villa away, he set-up 2 goals before killing the game off in the final minutes.

Leicester at home, he scored 2 and set up 2. And i think that's it.

Sunderland (i think) at home, his shot which hit the woodwork and came back out resulted in the winner for Lampard. Just like against Wigan, but this time Mata scored.

Wolves away, he played Cole through before he passed to Lampard for the winner. Aston Villa away, he set-up 2 goals before killing the game off in the final minutes.

Leicester at home, he scored 2 and set up 2. And i think that's it.

Are we really that desperate to convince ourselves that he played well last season?!

I was answering his question, did not intend to prove he played well.

Yeah but the point behind the question was not to get an answer but to point out that Torres had minimal influence on our season. That, imo, is still valid despite your answer.

Yeah but the point behind the question was not to get an answer but to point out that Torres had minimal influence on our season. That, imo, is still valid despite your answer.

Of course, we played close to 60 games or something and he directly affected the result of maybe 7. Clearly not good enough.

No. He only scored 1 goal against Swansea, which was the first goal of that game and we won 4-1 in the end.

Well, then there comes a dispute about what a game winning goal is. It can either be defined as the goal that puts the team in front for good (which Torres' goal did in this case) or the goal that would have been the difference in the final score (which was Ramires in this case.) To me, the stat in this sort of case is basically semantics. Who cares who scored the first or second goal in a 4-1 win? A real game winning goal is scoring the decisive goal in a close match. Scoring the only goal in a 1-0 game, scoring a late goal to put you ahead 2-1, that sort of thing. Also, tying goals are incredibly important, a late goal to give you a point is vital. And no, Torres hasn't scored a real winning or tying goal with Chelsea. I'll have a look at the goals I consider important winning and tying goals.

In the league:

Winning goals (goals that put Chelsea from level to winning for good in close games so going up 2-1 late, but not going up 2-0 and then conceding a goal.)

Malouda (Late winner against WBA), Lampard (Scored winner in 82nd minute against Norwich), Lampard (only goal against Blackburn), Lampard (89th minute winner against Wolves) ,Lampard (only goal against Sunderland), Lampard (Winner on penalty against City), Drogba (only goal against Stoke), Ivanovic (83rd minute winner against Villa), Mata (only goal against QPR), Mata (90th minute winner against Wigan), Drogba (1-0 goal against Newcastle which stayed that way until 89th minute)

Tying goals (goals that put Chelsea from down to level for good)

Sturridge (tying goal against Spurs), Neil Taylor (OG off of, what I think was a Bosingwa cross, Swansea 1-1)

In other comps (Considering the CL knockouts over 2 legs):

Winners:

Luiz (Leverkusen won 2-0 but were up 1-0 until the 90th), Mata (1-0, QPR-FA Cup), Sturridge (extra time winner against Everton in CC), Ivanovic (Napoli aggregate win), Kalou (1-0 Benfica), Drogba, (Barcelona), Ramires (Barcelona, put us ahead on aggregate and gave us away goal)

Tying goals:

Sturridge (1-1 Birmingham FA Cup), Drogba (Bayern)

It's possible I missed a game or two and it's possible to disagree with my definition of winning goal, but I do think it's interesting...(Frank Lampard=Legend! Five winning goals in the league and even if you take away the two that were penalties, he still had more than any other player.) And no...Torres didn't score a single one of these goals.