Fernando Torres

Amazing performance by El Nino today! Im just pissed at del Bosque for not giving him more playtime during the other matches...

And btw, how come Torres won the Golden Boot? What do they look at secondly when several others have the same amount of goals scored? Was it because he scored in the final?

I believe he won the Golden Boot for scoring 3 goals & 1 assist in less time than Mario Gomez, who had the same numbers.

Congrats to him, i jokingly predicted he would win it, but didn't think it would ever happen.

And i see this thread is still the same shit all over again, most of you have already made your fucking point pages ago, no need to repeat it after every good or bad performance he has, smh.

His 3 goals came after team already won the match. Just to say, Balo had much nicer and important strikes than Torres. But im happy for Torres anyway.

He scored the opener against Ireland.

Maybe not more, but definitely as much and with less cause. When Lampard had a bad patch this season, half the fans wanted him gone and nobody was saying "oh, he's secretly playing great, you just can't tell" or "It's everyone else on the team's fault".. I love Lampard, but he had a very poor stretch. It happens. When Cole and Cech had a few screw-ups early in the year, nobody denied that they made some horrible plays. Do you think that there would be a single other player at Chelsea who could be useless for a year and a half and still get his name sung?

Heres a thought.

When Lampard scored against Sunderland, the whole off the MHL thought Nando scored off the crossbar, when Neil announced it was actually Lamps that scored half the stand groaned like the goal was disallowed.

Supporting Torres is one thing but that was quite Frankly embarrassing.

What else should he have done in the Euros to get you guys to respect him? It's obvious that most of you had your minds made up regarding him before the tournament started. The only way he could have changed some of your minds is if he scored 25 goals, his coach wrongfully snubbed him from starting IX multiple times yet he still has the focus and confidence to score when he got his chances.

What else should he have done in the Euros to get you guys to respect him? It's obvious that most of you had your minds made up regarding him before the tournament started. The only way he could have changed some of your minds is if he scored 25 goals, his coach wrongfully snubbed him from starting IX multiple times yet he still has the focus and confidence to score when he got his chances.

You're right. There is nothing he could have done at the Euros to make me think that he's suddenly become a great player for Chelsea. I don't care about Spain, I care about Chelsea and he's been bad for a year and a half with us. Playing well in a couple of games for Spain is not going to change that. Playing brilliantly for an entire tournament wouldn't change that. Reading some of these posts it's as if people think that getting 3 goals for Spain suddenly wipes out being bad for a season and a half or that it is is a better indicator of future performance that what he's done so far. Torres needs to be scoring 25-35 goals a season (in all competitions) in order to deserve to be the starting striker for a top club. The bottom line is that the only thing that will prove that Torres deserves to be a regular striker for Chelsea is him scoring regularly for Chelsea. So far, he has only proven the opposite. It looks like he'll get another chance again this year and we all hope he does well, but my doubts are not based on some irrational hatred, it's based purely on his play with us so far.

People can't prove that Torres scoring at the Euros means, he is all of a sudden goalscoring hero at Chelsea. He has been poor with us. If he manages to get in a good goalscoring spell with us and get over 20 goals I will begin to accept that he finally is adjusting to his £50m transfer fee. He got he golden boot at the Euros yes, however their were spells last season where he looked like he was getting the hang of scoring again but then was inconsistent. For instance scoring against Swansea and working brilliantly with Mata then going on another poor run of form. Scoring 2 against Genk then losing form again. He scored an impressive hattrick against QPR then has a poor game against Newcastle and Liverpool in the league so I still have huge doubts. But as TorontoChelsea said I have nothing against Torres outside football, it is purely football reasons. I am behind every single Chelsea player and hope Torres is a success here, especially as we are going to need him to stand up much more now we don't have Drogba but looking at his time at Chelsea so far, I have every right to have my doubts

You're right. There is nothing he could have done at the Euros to make me think that he's suddenly become a great player for Chelsea. I don't care about Spain, I care about Chelsea and he's been bad for a year and a half with us. Playing well in a couple of games for Spain is not going to change that. Playing brilliantly for an entire tournament wouldn't change that. Reading some of these posts it's as if people think that getting 3 goals for Spain suddenly wipes out being bad for a season and a half or that it is is a better indicator of future performance that what he's done so far. Torres needs to be scoring 25-35 goals a season (in all competitions) in order to deserve to be the starting striker for a top club. The bottom line is that the only thing that will prove that Torres deserves to be a regular striker for Chelsea is him scoring regularly for Chelsea. So far, he has only proven the opposite. It looks like he'll get another chance again this year and we all hope he does well, but my doubts are not based on some irrational hatred, it's based purely on his play with us so far.

Agree for the most part, only criticism is that it seems a bit close-minded, during my time on this forum the main criticism with Torres has been that he often seems lost, that he can't find his confidence, and that his killer instinct when it comes to finishing seemed to have vanished. These are all personal problems, not ones associated with Chelsea. Obviously playing with the midfield Spain has, has boosted him but when he got his chances it seemed like he was never gonna miss, his demeanor has changed, he is more calm in front of goal, his activity has greatly improved, and he WANTS the ball now, he wants to be the game changer, once he gets in front of goal he keeps his cool and tucks it in like a world class number 9 should. Again, as many have stated, the sample size is very small and my judgements should be taken with a grain of salt as i am strictly comparing early Chelsea Torres to current Euro 2012 Torres.

"Not taking away the goals and what he did"

*few sentences later*

"He scored 2 against a rubbish Ireland side," and "1 against an Italy who have already given up"

Facepalm.gif

:doh: You have obviously missed the point...

He's lost his blistering pace. Having said that he is still fairly quick. Not as silky smooth as the 'Liverpool Torres' where he seemed to glide across the turf but notheless agile. He still has his hunger and instinct for goal which I think can make up for his drop in pace. With better players feeding the ball in behind, it will play to his strengths. I can see him consistently getting bags of goals against weaker opponents but the question is can he step up and get us goals against the top teams? Time will tell. I have faith though.

I think he would have been a comfortable golden boot winner had he played more, maybe with one or two more goals. I don't think he had even a single full game. Don't understand why Fabregas (or Negredo) was preferred over him, he was useless as a forward and everytime Torres came on, Spain looked a lot sharper.