Fernando Torres

He got 3 goals and 1 assist in less minutes than Mario Gomez.

What about Alan Dzagoev (Russia) and Mario Mandzukic (Croatia)? They both had 3 goals in less minutes than Gomez. Guess they had no assists then and Gomez had one?

I don't think you are alone, i don't think it was convincing either.But why take anything away from what he accomplished? Fact is he won the Golden boot, few players have accomplished that, and did really well in the opportunity he was given.

Not taking away the goals and what he did but the amount of people having a wankfest over Torres just because of the trophies he has won this year is just embarrassing. He may have won all those trophies but it still doesn't hide the fact that he blows hot and cold at the moment and is still nowhere near his best. He scored 2 against a rubbish Ireland side(no disrespect to them) and 1 against an Italy who have already given up and people are treating it like he scored the winning goal in a World Cup final against Brazil, Argentina or something. :doh:

Not taking away the goals and what he did but the amount of people having a wankfest over Torres just because of the trophies he has won this year is just embarrassing. He may have won all those trophies but it still doesn't hide the fact that he blows hot and cold at the moment and is still nowhere near his best. He scored 2 against a rubbish Ireland side(no disrespect to them) and 1 against an Italy who have already given up and people are treating it like he scored the winning goal in a World Cup final against Brazil, Argentina or something. :doh:

Players get judged on trophies. I'd rather win trophies like Torres than be like Le Tissier or Shearer. Torres contributed in every trophy they won regardless of the circumstances.

Players get judged on trophies. I'd rather win trophies like Torres than be like Le Tissier or Shearer. Torres contributed in every trophy they won regardless of the circumstances.

Then why exactly Kalou and/or Bosingwa never seem to get much love as compared to Torres? Can we say that they are better players than Shearer, Le Tissier etc?

Kalou is shit but when he looks back on his career, he'll be happier than Shearer and Le Tiss i bet. Kalou got his move to Chelsea, good on him.

Torres has been shit too then in his Chelsea career. Done greatly at Liverpool but won nothing there.

Happy for his personal success, (and hoping he can carry some of that into next season), but yeah, 3 goals aren't too much to shout about.

He played less than 200 minutes in the whole tournament and still managed to get 3 goals and an assist. If he was that prolific in the league for the whole season it would amount to over 50 goals in total. I agree that it's still way too early to claim he's all of a sudden back to his best after scoring a couple goals because we've all been down that road before and have ended up disappointed every single time but ffs, there's not much more he could have done with so little playing time and to win the golden boot despite starting as a substitute in all but one match is somethings exceptional.

I'll admit I've recently been one of his biggest criticizers but today I'll be getting my first tiny piece of that humble pie. If he continues that form when the season starts, I'll have a larger slice. ;)

Torres has been shit for us because of 2 reasons.

1) Shit players around him

2) Not enough attention to what he does without always looking at his goal ratio.

Fernando Torres is class, he's had a great career but has struggled since 2009. He's 28. Kalou can't and has never been good.

He played less than 200 minutes in the whole tournament and still managed to get 3 goals and an assist. If he was that prolific in the league for the whole season it would amount to over 50 goals in total. I agree that it's still way too early to claim he's all of a sudden back to his best after scoring a couple goals because we've all been down that road before and have ended up disappointed every single time but ffs, there's not much more he could have done with so little playing time and to win the golden boot despite starting as a substitute in all but one match is somethings exceptional.

I'll admit I've recently been one of his biggest criticizers but today I'll be getting my first tiny piece of that humble pie. If he continues that form when the season starts, I'll have a larger slice. ;)

Admirable, but still misleading like you said. What will happen next season is uncertain, but there should be no excuses for failure.

2) Not enough attention to what he does without always looking at his goal ratio.

Fernando Torres is class, he's had a great career but has struggled since 2009. He's 28. Kalou can't and has never been good.

IF he really is that class as most people say, then he sould have been able to adapt to the situation/circumstances of the team in recent times. Right now, it's just annoying that we seemingly have to cater everything to his need for him to succeed. Would be happy to get rid of him and get someone like Falcao in, who is a much more all rounder striker than Torres is!

Fact is he looks fit, he looks confident, he looks composed, he is making the right runs, his touch is good, his finishing is good, his passing is good and his link up play is good and he's won 3 big trophies in 6 weeks.

If he's not confident now, he never will be. With Hazard, Mata and Ramires and possibly Hulk, Marin and de Bruyne, he must score more, seriously.

We've seen what he's done with Spain in 184 minutes with creative players.

1) The shit players around Torres managed to win the Champions League last season. It's amazing how players can be shit and yet still be the champions of Europe? Drogba, despite having malaria, going off to the African Cup for a month, and being 33 and 34, had a far better strike rate than Torres in the last year and a half.

2) Scoring goals is about 90% of a striker's job. If you don't score, you aren't doing your job. Striker is unique like that. It's much harder to say how good a defensive midfielder or a keeper has been, but strikers are paid to score. Work rate is meaningless without production. On top of that, even Torres' production has been almost exclusively in one-sided games against poor squads. He's scored 12 goals in 67 games with Chelsea and 9 of them were against Championship quality sides and 11 of them were in games decided by more than goal. It's an absolutely abysmal record.

This thread is ridiculous because every time Torres does anything, it explodes into "Torres is amazing!!". It was a nice goal, well taken, good for him, but it does not erase a year and a half of horrible play with Chelsea. Even if he scored five goals, perhaps it would help his confidence, but it would never change the past. I don't understand this desire to try to pretend that Torres has been anything but terrible for us. Torres has objectively been one of the worst strikers in the Premier league in the past year and a half with Chelsea.